Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Today
  2. clearcna27

Long time

hey everyone it’s been awhile since I’ve been here. Just checking in, doing ok, just got a new socket it’s really comfortable except I’m having a lil problem with my fibula head hopefully I can walk it out soon. Feel free to say hey anytime
  3. Last week
  4. kim wilson

Sleeve repair

No, I’m referring to the sleeve that goes over the socket then over your liner. Doesn’t have contact with the skin accept at the top to create vacuum.😊
  5. MON52

Sleeve repair

Hi, I assume you are referring to the sleeve that goes directly onto your stump? I would not be repairing this tbh - I have been told my prosthesist to request a new one if it is at all damaged as this could cause skin breakdown - I do recall there used to be some 'repair' patches that came with new sleeves??
  6. kim wilson

Sleeve repair

Help! I keep puncturing my sleeve on my elevated vac system. I was told to use duct tape to repair hole! It just melts and slides and makes a mess! Anyone know of a tape or DYI patch that works??? I can’t find anything that will stick to the gel without rolling off.
  7. Earlier
  8. Donj307

Anyone free to talk

I had my leg off 2 years in October. I'm struggling with pain. And phantom pain and having real trouble getting my prosthesis to fit. We get a good few weeks and then its not fitting again. Had about 10 new sockets so far. Really frustrating. Would appreciate any input or information. Thank you
  9. Donj307

Hey everyone... are you guys still around?
  10. FordGuy48

Perspiration Issue In Liner

Bump
  11. Hello, All of a sudden I am having a lot of excessive perspiration in my OttoBock liner, just the last two days now. I think it might be due to taking furosemide. I have a new socket, two weeks now. I have noticed this in past sockets after a lot of activity, but I haven't been doing a lot the last few days. I had an episode like this a couple of months ago, and it lasted a day or two. Anybody have anything like this, and any results taking care of it? Thanks Tom
  12. BethMarie

reTred

Hi Ellen. Welcome to the Heather group. This use to be a very active site, but since the Amputee Coalition also has a site like this it has been very quiet here, so please don't feel slighted or rejected if you do not get many replies. I can relate to what you are saying. I too do not Present as to what I have lost--I am a right below knee amp from about 10 years ago--hit by a woman who did not look where she was turning. I went through 3 years of multiple surgeries to fix my badly broken ankle until I said enough is enough and got it amputated. It was the very best solution and I had about 9 years of doing what I wanted to do until my left hip had to be replaced. I have had multiple issues with that leg--I say my right leg (amp) is my good leg! I too have made it appear relatively easy to people around me and that has not given me the support I really need. People have been great, But I too feel very alone. If it weren't for my Labrador I don't think I would have done as well. She is sadly aging and I don't know what I would do without her/. Realizing this I have gotten a now 4 month old Labrador puppy. It is a wild ride, but she will be a great dog after puppy-hood! Feel free to contact me if you are feeling low or .... Peace, Beth Marie
  13. MakingTracs

Hello from the middle of Kentucky

Kudos Dave.. relating to blink of an eye LBK from trauma, also the blink of an eye. CPV West Coast USA, Keep farming and sharing the reality that there is abundance of life after. Take care
  14. How about a UK brand Ice Recumbents Love my wheels hope to be back in the saddle soon
  15. MakingTracs

reTred

why reTred. Ive been walking this road a while. I'm processing a lot of life changes and realized I wasn't talking. I'm an introvert who can turn it on when it's not about 'me' and not up to be flamed with comments of 'get over it' move on and all the well meaning (in some cases) from an all to self focused society. I'm a Certified Peer Mentor for Limb Loss Survivors and their loved ones and work in the medical field of orthopedics. I don't identify myself by what is missing so I use the term amputee selectively. (save your flaming posts if you dont get it dont attack me) I am a limb loss survivor and I say that because of what I went through. I was hit head on by a drunk driver on the wrong side of the freeway in 1988, two NDEs and a bucket full of surgeries later the foot was removed in 2004. I dont identify by what is missing because I worked so hard to recover. I have been feeling isolated because of my ability to push through and make it 'look easy'. Just these few sentences and signing on is a hopeful step forward. a very truncated 2 cents of meh. I am alive I am not invisible and I need help as much as I help others. Remember this, the nearest helping hand is at the end of your arm/foot/words Reach out with what ever means you have and connect. this is ME, reaching out Ellen in US
  16. Donj307

Hey girls! Just wondered if you were all ok. We had a chat happening and then it all stopped and I was thinking today, I wonder how their getting on. Hope you all good 😊 be nice to catch up and see how your all getting on. X
  17. Hey Keith, only just noticed your message sorry. I just had an elective amputation a couple of months ago - 11 weeks ago I think. I looked back over my posts and can’t believe how long I agonized over this for. I wouldn’t wish this decision on anyone. I have no regrets, it’s been a rough few months and the stress of the decision was horrible - but I am back chasing my toddler, riding my bike, climbing ladders and living my life. I’m still trying to take it easy and rest during the day, but I have been on no painkillers for a couple of months and I am so much better off than I was before. It’s a tough decision and no one can make it for you, I guess I decided that both options (keeping my foot or chopping it off) were both bad options, so I decided to do the one that had a chance of being pain free and just decide to be positive and “own” the decision either way. Happy to answer any questions. Good luck
  18. Hello, Earlier this year, I had a lot of problems with my stump changing shape after taking a strong steroid for a blood issue. I had to get a new socket fitting, OttoBock Harmony unit, wearing the liner, doing much better now. I still have some rough skin on the distal end of my stump, where all the problems were, I guess "dead" skin, and it's been starting to peel finally. I didn't think it would take this long. I've been using AdaptSkin on the area and on the rest of my stump. Any suggestions for dealing with this? Doesn't hurt.
  19. Dlovull1

Best prosthetist in Orlando??

I had a similar problem and went to POA! I am from Rochester New York. Dave
  20. FordGuy48

Sweating in urethane liner.

Well, this odd, the area around the end of my tibia has been bothering me about a week, and has felt good since Wednesday, Now I’m getting some fluid, so it’s not sweat..
  21. FordGuy48

Sweating in urethane liner.

Hi, I haven’t visited here in a while. I am a BK, I have an OttoBock Harmony unit, urethane liner. I tend to sweat a lot inside it, I have a two month old socket and custom liner. I was having some trouble getting used to the socket, and was aching at a point on the end of my tibia, that soreness is better, but I have some macerated skin at that point, and wonder if anyone has any suggestions for dealing with this. It’s like the skin is trying to restore at the point, does that make sense? I’ve had similar before, but been so long I can’t remember how long it took to clear. I’d appreciate any ideas.
  22. Keith

Decisions Decisions

BethMarie, I guess you're right. I pretty much have made my decision, but am keeping an open mind until next week, when I have my next appointment with my surgeon. I contacted the orthotics office that fit me for the brace I'm currently using. The technician had told me he had other patients that had made the decision to amputate and he would be glad to get me in touch with some of them before I make up my mind. One gentleman called me and talked about his experience, which was a big help. I'm sure I'll have some more conversations and questions for him. If I do decide to amputate, I think the next part will possibly be the most difficult. My wife. She doesn't seem to understand the level of pain I have each day. She keeps trying to talk me into using gimmick cures, like taking spice capsules and smearing magnesium ointment on it. This morning she made the comment, "oh well, getting old is painful. Going to have to get used to it". I don't think she will agree with or understand my decision, and I don't want it to become an issue between us. I have actually tried to think of ways to help her understand how it feels. I thought I could tie a cord very tightly around her ankle until it starts to hurt, tape a small leggo to the top of her foot and a few to the bottom and have her put on her shoes to try walking like that. Maybe if she understood that that's the best analogy I can come up with to describe how it feels for me every day. Of course, I wouldn't do any of that, but can be very frustrated when she just doesn't seem to understand. Not to mention, I'm sure she wouldn't volunteer for it either. She'd probably think I finally lost my mind. :)
  23. BethMarie

Decisions Decisions

24. BigDaveinKY

Hello from the middle of Kentucky

Hello folks, I've been lurking around the site for quite a while, decided to join, and hopefully help someone with my experiences from fifteen years as an AK amputee. My amputation was from an accident, in the blink of an eye, with no going back, so I go forward. I am an active CPV with the Amputee Coalition, though thankfully, not very active. I'm a retired elevator service person and enjoy spending my time just farming.
  25. Keith

Decisions Decisions

Beth Marie, I must admit I am a little disappointed by the lack of response here, from people other than you. Thank you for your input. I guess I will check out the coalition site and see if the members there are any more responsive.
  26. Keith

Decisions Decisions

Thank you for the reply, BethMarie. I live in Newport News, Va., US. I have an appointment with my surgeon in a month. I might try a different type of brace for one last effort, but I know it is only temporary and both my surgeon and the PAs at the practice have told me repeatedly that as things sit there is not going to be a final fixes everything operation. They say I can look forward to multiple more surgeries over the years. Which is why I'm thinking about amputation as an option. Every time I have an operation, I go through another two weeks of elevation, six weeks of non weight bearing and months of PT. Then there's the added time it takes past therapy before it truly reaches the optimal level of use. I keep thinking, wouldn't it be better to just get it cut off and (hopefully) be done with it? Not to mention, they can't possibly fix every joint in my foot that is going bad or going to go bad, so no matter what they do, I will have fain of some sort in the foot and ankle for the rest of my life. I want to spend the day with my grandchildren at the amusement park without having to just find someplace to sit and watch them go to rides and run around without me, because I can't take the pain of walking behind them or can't keep up. I want to be able to go to the store with my wife without having to either find an electric cart to drive or cut shopping short because the hard floors hurt too much to take for long. I even want to be able to walk for exercise and maybe be able to go jogging again, so it's not so hard to be able to get my weight down. Sorry for going on so much. I just get frustrated and don't want to make my wife listen to it. I know she doesn't understand, even though she tries to be supportive of what I go through.
  27. BethMarie

Decisions Decisions

Hi Keith, i chose to have RBK amp about 10 years. I went through many operation—far less than you! I was tired of the pain and mainly how it had impacted my life—I was very active before my accident—a woman hit my car because she was distracted. When I made the decision I knew I wanted to go back to my life. It took me about a year of rehab and I got discouraged, but I did get back to what I wanted to do in a different way for example I lead trips to Viet Nam for small groups—have done 6 since my amputation. Only you can decided. You did not say where you live, but you might want to check out the Amputation Coalition in the US. I live in Canada and am an active participant feeling very welcome. They have a very wonderful annual conference that provides a lots of education. Blessings, Beth Marie
  1. Load more activity