Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
nightingale

Please help

Hi my name is nightingale and I am a second year student nurse. I am currently working on an assignment which involves adolescents and amputations. I would be very grateful if anyone would care to share their experiences with me to enable me to get a greater understanding, not only of the condition but also of the emotional effect that this traumatic event has had on them and their families.

Please any help would be appreciated, I look forward to talking to someone soon.......

hi... email me personally and it will be easier..... davmos2@aol.com.. i will be glad to help anyway i can...

vicki

Where does one begin...losing a limb is loss greater than u can imagine. The repercussions of that are even worse. Each case is different - loss of a limb due to diabetes, road accident, doctors malpractice...the list goes on. Each of us deals with the pain and the loss very differently. To bring to light what me and my family went through emotionally, financially and physically is not possible. I will however try and put it across in the best possible manner. For me the pain was unbearable they performed 4 surgeries before they decided to take it off above the knee. My whole life changed ....no more jogging, biking, wearing heels, sandals...I felt I'd lost my feminine side and started feeling extremely unsure of myself. My family stopped functioning and could not bear to see me the way i was or the pain i was going through - they all acted like i was dead or that i was crippled and could not do anything on my own. I threatened suicide and moved to the middle east and make a life of my own. I needed my space to grieve, to wash off the guilt that i felt for having put my family through this ordeal. The only way to recovery is to start mentally. Do not be an escapist (like me) - it does not grow back... get help and communicate with the family and people with similar disadvantages. unfortunately, i thought i would manage ...i guess thats why i'm still groping.

I don't know if this will be of any assistance to you, but should you have any questions, please feel free to email me on skutappa@hotmail.com

I was born without a foot so I never had an amputation until 8 months ago when I chose to have revision surgery. What a traumatic thing to go through. My husband was great he kept me going when I had my dark days. Sometimes I would say was this worth it? Is prosthetic technology that great that I needed to put myself through this? I didn't want to wear the leg and didn't want to go through the mental and physical pain anymore and thought how easy it would be to put the leg in the closet and not wear it. Well I snapped out of that once my Prosthetist got me with a great working, and fitting leg and my Wonderful Physical Therapy team had me walking in no time. I am doing so well now that All the quesitons I had before are distant past and the answer is a YES it was worth it.

Growing up as a child with limb loss was worse then any surgery I have had in my life. I was sometimes shuned because I was different, I was teased and picked on because I only had one foot and that hurt but I fought back with showing these kids that I was no different then they were.

Brenda

P.S if you would like additional information feel free to e-mail me at peggie_leigh67@yahoo.com