Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Hello;

I have never driven, so when I received my amputation, I feel as though I have an even more complex situation. Presently, I don't own a car and am eager to find out what I need to do to obtain an automobile with which I can drive. I have my work cut out for me in getting a refresher course of driving lessons (had driving lessons in 1998 from the Chicago Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, but was not able to purchace car).

I would like to ask some of my friends, here, what course of action or actions that you took to get yourselves driving and on the road.

Any suggestions or advice would help.

Thank you kindly!

Hey almost neighbor, Shanstar99 from Ill. I am above the knee and I am in Mi. but my friend who is also below the knee told me he sometimes remove his prosthesis and just drive with his left leg,. I don't remove my artificial leg, I just put it behind my left real leg and drive with my right. The good thing is my car is an automatic and has cruss control. B) :huh:

Go for it

Dea

Hi all,

I drive an automatic car - with my left leg and no adaptions! I have a RBK and wear my prosthetic when driving. I had a few practice go's in my Mum's car and then it was ok - just go easy on the brake! ;)

I was nervous when I had the car - wasn't used to an automatic - and driving with my left foot - but it was ok - and now I drive everywhere - over 3,000 miles since March!! :D :D

Sue - Cardiff - UK :huh:

Hi,

I've been driving with an automatic car liscence for 20 odd years ( God that makes me feel old). I've never had a problem other than it took me too long to get my right foot from accelerator to brake ( I'm RBK), so I practiced braking with my left foot......much easier and my reaction time is much faster. It's a condition of my liscence that I drive with my leg on, although I do cheat at times on long trips. I think it's just a confidence thing. Just get out and have a go and see how you feel.

I would hate to not have my car.

Cat

I'm a RAK, i added an accelator pedal on the left side beside the brake pedal, so that i dun need to move my left foot all the way to the right just to get on the gas. BTW, it's an automatic.

I have an RBK and drive an unmodified manual transmission car. I learned to drive after losing my limb and was told by my doctors that a manual car would be fine.

Hi,

I am a BBK. Served time at Chicago Rehab myself. Anyway, I drive normally, nothing modified in my car. Have someone take you out in their car to maybe an empty parking lot. While the car is in park, practice moving your leg from the gas to the brake & feeling how much pressure you need to accelerate & to brake. When you feel confident put it in drive & give it a try. I've been doing it for over 20 years & I don't even think about it. The only time I had to think about it was when I renewed my license. After the driving part of the test, I told the guy. I figured it was best to tell him AFTER the test was over. Didn't need to make either of us unnecessarily nervous. The only restriction on my license states that I need to have my prosthetics on. DUH????? Can't reach the pedals without em!!!!

Good luck.

Linda

;) I am a R AKA for almost 23 years and I have been using the Left footed gas pedal for al that time. Just wanted to add that you can and should remove the gas pedal when you get a new car. Usdually mine last about 7-10 years. Also, buy one online and take it to your local guy to install $20.00t o $50.00. Don't le the on line folks talk you into a package deal, it is a ripoff and very easy to intall. (4 bolts in the floorboard) Also, you can adjust it to your personal setting. OHH baby!

Bye

Unique

Just wanted to add that you can and should remove the gas pedal when you get a new car.

What do you mean 'should'? I've been driving as a RAK without any adaptions at all for twenty years... you pay the money if you like, there's no way I'm going to, and there's no reason I should. :P

I'm a RBK been driving a car since 16 without any adaptions. When I first started to drive I used to drive left foot (cross over) then a few years later I started to drive with my right foot and have had no problems I have had one accident where I rearended someone (My kids distracted me). I also drive a manual transmission and someday my other goal is to learn how to drive a Harley Davidson.

Practice Practice and more Practice if you can do it you should be able to without modifications. My insurance company knows I'm an amputee and my rates are the same as everyone elses they said I'm not any more of a liablilty as anyone else and they know I don't have mods to my care as well. DMV(department of motor vehicles) had me take the test again to remove the automatic transmission only restriction and I passed with flying colors.

Hi,

It basically depends on whether you are missing the right or left lower leg and whether you choose to drive automatic or manual....

I'm an LBK . I drive a manual car without any adaptions. No probs so far except once while i was applying lipstick, i banged into the back of a brand new BMW at the traffic lights. :o :o :o This was the lipstick at fault, not my foot !! ;)

OH OH , kaz , does mean theat we have to chchange you neame to KRASH KAZ ? heheheheee ....... :P :P :P

I've just bought an automatic which I'll have converted to left foot accelarator, flip up type so my girlfriend can drive me back from the pub. I had an assesment with the mobilty centre to check if I could use it, no problems there. I've also tried driving with my prosthesis and with my left leg crossed over, again no problems at all even with slow speed manouvering. My insurance company are happy for me to drive any way I want to with no extra premium. The only problem I may have is with the DVLA (who issue driving licences in UK) who may limit me to driving an automatic with the left foot accelarator. I'd prefer to keep my options open as to what I can drive

The only problem I may have is with the DVLA (who issue driving licences in UK) who may limit me to driving an automatic with the left foot accelarator. I'd prefer to keep my options open as to what I can drive

The DVLA aren't interested in me using my left leg Muz, I'm just simlpy limited to an auto. No mention of how I drive it. I cross my left leg over.

BTW, as an RAK, I would recommend getting a turntable/rotator, if you don't already have one, it makes it a bit more comfortable to tuck your right leg out of the way.

Hi guyz,

Just another one adding a little bit of info.

I've held a full UK manual licence for 18yrs now, but before my amp (13yrs ago) because of the probs with my right leg I got an automatic car and just drove with my left leg. After the op I just carried on using my left leg. I did inform the DVLA but have no restictions at all on my licence.

Cheers

Mark