Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JRobson

Tight trousers

Hi everyone, Jake here again. Love reading the forum and am just getting used to it. When I first started on the forum I logged in as JRobson but I want to change it as I feel it sounds so formal, and I hope I can communicate with friends! can anyone let me know how to do this as I know not a lot about computers!

I currently have an iceross pin system b.k and I am curious to find out if anyone has come across any way to disguise it. I wear a lot of straight, fitted trousers and am conscious about the bulkiness around the knee. Does anybody know how I can solve this?

I used to have the pin system and didn't like the way that the socket would show - mainly when sitting down. Unfortunately the trim lines can't (shouldn't) be cut too low so you are always going to get that definite edge showing.

I managed to ruin several pairs of trousers by knocking them on hard objects, cutting the material between the socket and whatever I'd hit.

I now have a VASS Harmony system which is able to have much lower trim lines than the other sockets - especially at the front, so now it is almost impossible to see the socket. This system does use a suspension type sleeve to make an airtight seal so that does add some (a little bit) of bulk to the leg so my right leg does appear just slightly thicker than my left leg (I'm RBK) - but if anyones paying that much attention to your knees then you either know them very well or they have some kind of strange fetish!

David

Hi Jake, David,

Another concern relating to wearing trousers:

I have a PTB socket that s also cut a bit higher than some other types. However, it does not show that clearly through the pants and I am not much bothered anyway whether other people notice it or not. I am just a perfectionist type and want like my knees look the same when I sit.

Anyway, the other concern is the filler socks. Do you need to drop you trousers down when adding more socks for daily shrinkage? If you do, you obviously need to go to toilet to do the job. I have a solution to this; I wear trousers that are of stretch material. With that, you just bring your trouser hose up to the thigh, remove the leg and do the rest. I do not need to go to toilet to do the job; I can comfortably do it in another quite place such as my own room in my office. All my trousers are of stretch material except jeans. However, jeans can also be fitted with open hose on inner side, held together with velcro. Need some tailoring though. During weekends I wear shorts, so taking off the leg is not a problem. And this I do shamelessly almost anywhere; I do outdoor activities and just sit on a bench of a park etc. and put more fillers on.

Whatever long winded story I wrote above, the stretch pants are very good for an amputee.

Kind regards,

Jukka

HI Again,

I have been a lbk for about 5 years, and at first I was concerned with how well I would fit in with the crowd, so I tried to cover my leg.

Now I don't really care, I dress for comfort. I have a laminated socket which I gets changed after 3 or 4 years. (That is the extent of my insurance coverage.) I change my material and hence the look of my leg.

Since I work with students, I no longer hide anything, but celebrate who I am. I don't earn enough money to by a natural looking leg. The ones available where I live are not that natural looking, so I would rather wear a funky leg and consider this my tattoo.

I have found over time, that no one really notices the bulk around the leg. I do lots of presentations and no one has stared at my leg only. I guess I got over trying to be like everyone else.

Goodluck with your new leg fittings

Booklady :)

Hi all, i had the trouble with tight trouser syndrome, i do like to wear my tight jeans. I have found that the stretch denim don't give as much trouble as the ordinary denim jeans, although the rim of my prosthesis still shows when i sit down. I don't think there is a great deal that can be done about this. I am going to ask my prosthetist to cut my next leg as short as possible but i don't expect to be able to get rid of the edge completely. :(

Does this mean that like a waaaay cool looking mini kilt with rainbow striped tights ar not goninng to work eitehter ? :P :P :P

MJ gurl....Listen here and listen good .... a waaaaaaayy cool looking mini kilt with multi, psychedelic rainbow colored striped/checked/cabled tights will work just FINE!

Ahhhh Kaz , I KNEW why you are the fashion queen and PRES of MMMB . :D :D :D

Heheeeeeheeee ....... and youll also be the talk of the town for waaaay years to come ... :P :P :P

Dare to be different i sayy . :P :P :P