Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lynnieb

Frustrating doctors!

My consultant, Prof Frostick in Liverpool is very difficult to communicate with. After I lost the use of my arm, he didn't arrange any rehap for me, and very little physio. In fact, the physio just kept asking me to wiggle my fingers, even though he knew I had no use of the hand. He ended up burning me with a hot towel! Nice eh?

Anyway, the consultant is never at the hospital when I have appointments, even though he won't let anyone else deal with me. The hospital is nearly an hour away from me, and I'm not in the best of health, so It is frustrating when I have to come all the way home witrh no advice.

I can't even get slings from the hospital. Each one only lasts a week, and I have to beg for them. One time they wouldn't give me one because they said someone else might ask for one, and they only had one in stock! Can you believe that? An

orthopaedic hospital with no slings? I've even tried buying them myself but I couldn't affored them.

Has anyone any advice on how to stand up for myself, without losing my temper? It's getting to the stage where I don't know where to turn. Thanks,

Lynnie B

Hi Lynnie

Ask for s copy of the patients charter it's worth a read if you are having a problem.

The best time to ask for a copy is while you are making a complaint

Hi Lynn

sorry to read that.

You seem to have three issues:

Seeing the Prof

Getting the slings that you need as well as re-hab.

There are two ways to move forward:

Make a formal complaint!

Or talk to someone who can act on your behalf.

I would opt for talking to someone who can help and act on your behalf.

The best way to do this is to contact your Patient Advocacy Liason Service (PALS) at the hospital and ask for an appointment, explaining the amount of travelling you would have to do regarding this.

They should get someone from PALS nearer to your home, and arrange a meeting.

Explain the situation and let them look into it. In doing so, they should be able to come up with a solution.

When you contact them (PALS) tell them you were going to make a formal complaint; but a 'friend' suggested you go to them(PALS) for assistance.

That way PALS, will know that you still have the option to make formal complaints. And should take the matter seriously, and get results for you.

I hope this helps.

Best as ever

Steve

GGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR .

GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR .

GGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR ..

Thats what i think of waaaay to many Drs. , like the one who practiced on me .

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Hi MJ

I've always worried about going to a Doctors Practice, to see the practitioner.

Why are they still practising, can't they get it right :o

Best as....

Steve

I understand a little of what you are going through. The person who gave me my leg, wouldnt talk to us about any of our questions. He said it was that I needed discpline. and we got angry and fed up.

Mine is probably a totally different story, but yes do what doggie says they know more about this than I do.

I hope everything goes well and tell us what happpend when you can

Good luck

Lesley

Hi Lynne

The hospital that I had attended for 30 years said they couldn't do any more for me, I was in so much pain I went back to my GP and told him what they had said. He suggested we had a second opinion and got me an appointment at Warrington General and I saw the orthopaedic surgeon Mr. Sherry. I learned more from him in one hour that I had in the past ten years, and consequently am awaiting my amputation. Maybe a trip to your GP and explain the circumstances would get you a move like mine, after all, if you don't ask, you don't get anywhere.

Wishing you luck.

HI LYNNIE B

I have to agree with MJ on this one GRRRRRRRRR there are just to mant doctors the have tunnel vision and don't see the big picture when it comes to amputees. If you have access to either the

FEB.-MARCH issue of in Motion magazine or The ACA's publication FIRST STEP there is a great article in both about how the care and rehab for an amputee needs to be a team effort, with all the parties involved communicating and co-ordinating care on a TEAM approach. It also says that we , the patients should lead the team, and from my end sometimes you just have to lose your temper in order to make your point. I find myself in a similarly frustrating position, one where no one wants to comunicate with anyone else and in the end we suffer because of it. There comes a time when you just have to demand that they listen to what you are saying and not take no for an answer. I guess what i'm trying to say is yes, you need to have patience, but there is a limit to everyones patience and sometimes for the sake of your own well being and sanity you just have to lose your temper in order to be heard and make your point.

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

I CAN DEFINATLY RELATE

LET US KNOW HOW EVERYTHING TURNS OUT

MIKE

i thinKK THAT dRS. REALLY to have a much better understanding of womens issues . What i REALLY REALLY hate is the way that most Drs. seem to be running a patient factory where they see as many as they can and not really spend tim eto do things like , ohhhh , ummmm , errrrrr , LISTEN . I also think that Drs. really need to be more communicative to the patients in OUR language and also spend time talking an dlistening to other members of thr treatment team . The one last thing that REALLY REALLY makes me mad is that sometimes , we are the test subjects for new drs. whatever you call it and even though we may be unabale to speak form ourselves sometimes , we have to trust our lives to inexpereienced drs. who them go ahaead and do te wrong treatments .