Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wendy

Vaccum leg

I picked up my leg on the 28th of June (foot finally arrived) after a few hours of adjustments I was so swollen I could barely get my other leg back on. I was in so much pain I couldn't walk at all - when I wear it my leg swells???????????????????

They don't know why - they told me people usually shrink and require a few sockets before it settles down to a final socket. I have it home but have been so tied up worrying about Chelsea I was scared to put it back on. My sister is also home for a visit and I wanted to be mobile.

I don't know much about these sockets - has anyone had the problem with swelling - I'm an amp for 8 years revision done june 2003 - As bad as the pin system has been for me - I would take it in a heart beat over this new one - I want to go back and continue to try with the pin. I would really appreciate it if anyone could tell me their experience with the vaccum system and the process you went through - and how you are getting along.

Keep Smiling :) Wendy

Hey Wendy

I know I have nothing that can help you!

But I just wanted to tell you that I am so sorry

for all the pain this leg has caused you

What is a vacuum leg? Well from what I have heard

it has to be painful

Keep smiling and stay strong?

Lesley

Dear Wendy,

I do have two prosthesis, one is about 9 almost 10 years old and I called it my new old faithful because altough it is old, it has been recovered by the Prosthetist who originally made it.and now it is almost new . This one is a suction system. I put it on with the help or a green, nylon sleave that helps to slide my stump all the way to the buttom of the socket and I pull the sleave out through the little hole in the side of the leg, then, I close it with a cap like a screw. After it is done, I push something on top of the cap to let the air out..this way the leg stay in place. I also wear a wait belt because being aka is hard to keep your hips in the right place when you walk and most of all because I feel more secure wearing it that way.

Now I have also a pin system leg that I had a heck of a time to learn how to insert the pin in the hole and have it go all the way...by accident I found out that my shoehorn which is extra long and made of some kind of metal, could help me to guide the stupid pin all the way down, all I have to do is put the shoehorn in the whole circunference of my socket, between the socket and the hard part of the leg, then I lean heavily on the side of the prosthesis. Now if you don't put the gel socket with the pin in the right way, it will hurt you when you stand on but otherwise no problem...Actually I am having a silly problem and that is this leg keeps rotating when I walk so I am asking a good friend what he think I should do about it...hope he can help me. :unsure:

Take care

Dea

Hey Lesley!

A vaccum socket doesn't have a pin in the gel liner. You puy your leg in the socket and there is a one way air valve that lets the air out of the socket as you push your leg in and the valve doesn't let any air back in. You then have a long rubber sleeve that you roll up over the socket and up onto your thigh. This holds the leg on along with the vaccum or i guess maintains the vaccum as you walk. With the pin system there are specific areas that are the weight bearing areas. With the vaccum socket it is total contact and weight bearing over the whole stump. I hope I have explained this to you correctly and hopefully makes a little sense. Just for some reason I'm really reacting to all this contact - I don't know if it's the fit of the socket or my leg can't handle the pressure?????

Hi Dea!

You sound like you like the vaccum better -

I never had trouble to get the pin in it's just the loose tissue I have that causes all the problems. I wonder if this is also why I swell with the new leg????? :( When they have made the pin legs for me they had to make the socket longer because the pin pulls my tisse down (they call it milking the stump) -by cutting the check socket and adding a piece for length it changes where my leg is in the other weight bearing areas. Has anyone else had their socket made longer?? i wonder why you couldn't do it in the casting stage as they always cut my socket. I must ask on the 26th when i go back - when we finally get close they can't seem to stop my piston motion of my tibia hitting in the front. Anyway I want to go back to the old pin and keep trying.

Keep Smiling :) Wendy

Hi all,

I have a pin system - RBK since November 2004. I find it really great for me and I have quite a high activity level. When the leg reduces in size - during the day etc - I do add a sock which is done really quickly and without any problems. I also feel very secure with the system. I sometimes have problems ratcheting in the last notch of the pin - but either I spray a bit of WD40 on the pin - or use the little leather washer that my prosthetist made me - which just gets that last notch in!

ALSO - I had a vaccum system for my water activity leg - a gel suction liner (which was lovely) and a suction cast with a release valve at the bottom - BUT when my leg reduced in size by a small amount - 1cm - the system was too big and I 'bottomed out' at the bottom of the cast - I couldn't walk even a few steps without it being painful.

I think we all have to find what suits us best and keep experimenting with new systems etc.

Sue - Cardiff - UK :unsure:

Hey everyone

I just think its really cool to learn about the different legs out there.

Well I have a suction and I love this one to death. I can't handle pin sockets

or anything else, maybe when I get a little ofder, but if I would have to pick

I love the suction the most. Its so much easier than difficulties with other legs.

Wendy you explained it great! I just am glad I dont have to mess with anything hard.

Lesley