Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
doggie

We're not the only ones!

Hi everyone,

I just came across a news 'video' item about a seagull who was injured.

Apparently the seagull cannot fly, presumably because of irrepairable damage to it's wing/wings.

It also had a broken leg, but to prevent gangrene, it's leg was amputated.

In it's place it has been fitted with a wooden leg and a little pink booty/foot!

The video shows the seagull walking around happily, perfectly.

Now I'm trying to find the name of the prosthesitist who did this, so he can help some of you whom are having probs with fitting etc :)

Sorry I can't find a link reference.

Best as ever

Steve

Hey Doggie,

Are you sure this wasn't a parrot that you know quite well instead of a seagull?? :P

Kep B)

Hmmm , i'll bettedt that whoudl likwe waaay funky with RAINBOWW feahtureses and clothes ... :P :P :P

Hi Kep

I do know the difference between a parrot and a seagull.

A seagull does not go around squawking " pieces of eight, pieces of eight".

And "avast there ye lubbers"

That's how I know it was a seagull, it didn't squawk that! :P

As.... ever

Steve

Thanks steve

I't just goes to show the technology out there. Even for animals.

On Tv I did see a horse and he had to have a prosthesis because

he broke his leg!

But we have so many innovations out there

Lesley

I think I found the video... :)

3511548_200X150.jpg

Video

Seagull Gets Artificial Leg Made Of Barbie Doll Parts

Bird Found With Limb On Verge On Gangrene

UPDATED: 1:32 pm EDT July 9, 2004

A seagull found with a badly injured leg was saved after its infected limb was cut off by a boat's crew and replaced with Barbie doll parts, according to a Local 6 News report.

Martha the seagull was found by a yacht crew in the city of Antalya, Turkey, with a leg that was on the verge of gangrene.

The crew, apparently inspired by peg-leg pirates, amputated the leg and created a new one with the leg of a Barbie doll and a big Barbie doll hand as a foot.

Martha can now walk and even run around the boat on the leg.

The breeder where I got all three of my birds, was telling us a sad story, but a good ending, cos the bird didn't die. She sold to large parrots, (Macaws) to this guy and told him, do NOT put them together in the same cage, (he wanted to breed them) for a while. First let them get use to being in the same room with one another. Well he decided he wasn't going to listen and put them both in the same cage to soon. Not good, they got into a bad fight and the male chewed both feet right off the female. :( However, a vet was able to make her two prosthetic feet out of dental material. I think it is so wonderful how far research has come for both humans and animals, lets hope it continues on. B) Also, as far as we know, the bird continues to do fine, getting around with his prosthetic feet.!!! :D

Sheila LBK

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

:D :D :D Gosh you guys just cracked me up!!!

I was all kind of thinking about the whole story about the seagull and later about the Macaws...I had to write this questions.

..> Steve I was sitting on the edges of my chair, waiting to see if you had found out the name of the Prosthetist that took care of making the prosthesis for the seagull. :lol: :lol: Then I thought of asking if you new who did the amputation also?!! :D :D

..>>Lark I could not believe how fast you work!!! find the video, all the information...super!! I have a question to the crew of the boat that found Martha the seagull...

1. Where did they learn to do the amputation, and later the prosthesis?? :( :blink:

2. What they were doing with a Barbie doll in a boat ;) and what the heck part of the barbie was used for the foot?? :rolleyes:

3. who is in charge of put in and take out the prosthesis because what wise the poor bird can get the tiny stump infected.

4. Who did name the poor thing Martha???

...>>>Sheila dear, I am still very amazed by your story. I have to ask did the Macaws ever made up and breed :unsure: I tell you, those guys, they can be is such a hurry that the only way to keep a good girl is to chew up her legs. :o

I have to say these were very funny stories, AMAZING AND ALSO FUNNY :lol:

I think I found an article that answers most of your questions Dea :D

_40360643_seagull300.jpgaudio source and link to article

Martha the Turkish seagull has found a handy solution to a nasty leg wound.

She was found in a flap by a yacht crew who took her to a local vet. Unable to save the badly torn leg, the vet decided to cut it off to save her life.

The crew, inspired by peg-leg pirates, decided to try and replace her lost limb with a false one.

They bought two dolls, one Barbie and one big-handed plastic doll and made a new leg and foot for Martha to hop about on.

The Barbie leg has made Martha's new leg and the other doll's hand makes a great foot.

Onur Atalay, a crew member on the Yacht is pleased with their solution for Martha's problem.

He says: "Now it can walk and even runs." Martha spends her days hanging about the yacht being fed by the tourists in the area and splashing about in the sea with the crew.

She's settled down over the last few weeks with her new leg and while she's learning to fly again she seems happy enough with her new sea legs!

Hi Dea, no they were never put back together in the same cage again, thank goodness! I don't know if she was ever put with another Macaw to breed or not, if I think of it, will have to ask my breeder. I don't believe this would have ever happened, if they had not been put together that soon. These birds, when used just for breeding, can be very viscious and you've got to know what you're doing, which obvisiouly he didn't and unfortunately she lost her feet, but some lucky to have survived it all. :D

Guess this proves, if ya wanna keep your feet, ya bess tuck'em under ya at night, before you go to sleep!!! :D :lol:

Sheila LBK

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

What a great story. Reminds me of a doctor I met when I first had my accident in 1972, he said it was a pity they hadn't mastered leg transplants, they had only been successful on rats at that time. Seems things haven't progressed much further after 32 years. :ph34r: