Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sheila

Changes in the weather.....

I've noticed over the years, how my residual reacts to different weather conditions. The worst is a thunder storm, it does some strange things. :unsure:

As if it had an ace bandage being wraped around it tighter and tighter, yet at the same time, like it's trying to bust out of my socket, rather irritating at times, to where I've actually had to take the limb off. In the winter, which I know some of you don't have and lucky you, :P it does the same thing just before a snow storm. Tho once the weather clears up, it almost immediately stops these feelings. My personal thought is, that it has something to do with the barometric pressure. So was wondering if anyone else experiences the same type of feelings or something similar, during weather changes?

Sheila LBK

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

Oh gurl , you ar ereading my mind with this subejejct .

I really becom e a weather forcasti ng gurl because i cane tell youj whay we are gouj ng to have like waaaay long before it showwes up . I don't have a prosthesis but my knee , well , whats left of it anyway is like waaay sensative to changes to the weather .

Today hair dye gurl , tomorrow weather forcvatsin g gurl .

Sheila

I guess I haven't had anything like that.

Maybe when I am older I will. But I am new at this

but I think it was awesome gurl!!!!!

Keep smiling

Lesley

Weather plays a huge role in my life. Cold and rainy means tremendous pain.

I don't know whether the feelings will change once I have my amputation, but at present if the weather is about to change (which is quite often in England!!!) my scarred leg itches like crazy, I've even woke in a morning with my leg bleeding where I've been scratching it in the night. Trying to find a cool spot or doing something you have to concentrate on does help.

As yet i haven't noticed any difference with weather changes but i will keep a look out. The weather changes so much in the UK i expect i would have noticed something by now.

I think it probably is something to do with barometic pressure changes, pressure can affect an awful lot of things, that is what animals sense when something is not right.

This is a good place to ask this question that has been on my mind....I live in Utah and it is very dry here. I will be travelling to MO in a few weeks and it is VERY humid there. Will the humidity cause changes in my volume? I have had some problem lately with having to add socks a lot during the day, stump shrinking...wonder if that will increase in a more humid climate?....Any thoughts?

judy

utah

lbk

Hey MJ, lets go for it girl, B) a job as a weather meterologist. I don't know about your weather people where you are, but here where I live, I know I could do a better job, with my eyes closed! :lol: They never seem to get it right half the time. :ph34r: It's been raining here since yesterday 7/13 and is suppose to rain all week and possibly into the weekend, looks like no boating for awhile. :(

Sheila LBK

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

We have a good friend here who works for the weather service, does the forecasts, and we tease him that we are waiting for the day he forecasts snow in august....we will know he was partying too much the night before! He will be the first to admit they are just doing educated guessing!

judy

By the way, Marcus...I had wondered that too...I will be flying across the country in November. Is it a bad idea to take off your leg on a long flight, for fear you cant get it back on when you land? I know that if I sit too long in the car I get the urge to take it off and if I feel that urge in the plane should I fight it?

judy

Hi all,

I agree with Marcus on keeping the body hydrated. Here in Singapore the body tends to dry up indoors as most of the places are air-conditioned thus air is dry. We never run air-con at home and my stump does not shrink that much. However, Singapore has high humidity and the first fitting of the leg early in the morning does not give best result. I have a PTB socket. Cause for not so good first fitting is that there is friction between the surface and the socket and whatever liners there are in use which does not allow enough filler sock. And the the stump is slightly loose in the socket. After half to one hour of wearing I have to re-adjust and put in another filler. Then the body heat perhaps, has dried the socket surface and the first contact so that there is no more friction. There is nothing that can be done with this problem, just adjust to routine of adding next and very necessary filler once reaching work place.

I have observed that walking also causes shrinkage as I walk to the bus, then to train and from train to workplace every day.

For these reasons my shrinkage is most rapid in the mornings.

My remedy for the daytime in the air-con is to drink a lot of water so that I can maintain my hydration level. It also helps to flush the toxins out of the body (including the stump) and the stump never has any funny feelings.

We do have high frequency of thunder storms in Singapore, but I have never experienced any changes in feeling of thye stump or volume changes.

For travel:

I used to travel short business trips with air and road, about two hours flight time and another two hours in the car. I dis take my leg of in the plane and had never any problem donning it again. But it is good to take short walks in the plane, like going to lavatory, it is like taking the leg off and don again. In car, I always took the leg off.

Kind regards,

Jukka