Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
June

4 days to go!!!

Well, its coming so fast. I'm surposed to be resting at the mo and not stimulating my nerves :rolleyes: How in the world do you not do that.

Feelings at the moment;

not worried about op, not worried about rehab, mind is going mad over whether I have done everything here as I'll be in for 6-8 weeks, worried about my 10 year old little girl - she's a mummys girl, worried about pressure on hubby and mum, just a bit concerned about the shock of it when I come round :(

Don't really know what to say at the moment, just that its now on my mind alot.

Last thought;

be glad to be rid of it in a way, ready to get on with my life, I just hope thats what I'll be able to do. Yes that's what I'm worried about, is it going to give me what I expect?

June

It is going to be great! A lot of emotions come up. But remember by this time next year you will be walking around a little. Just breathe and try not to think about it too much because you need to think about all you need to do afterwards!

Please tell us how you are doing? when you get back. Until then work hard and make everyone even more proud!!

Lesley

Thank you so much Lesley, that just the medicine I need at the moment :)

Hi June

hope you had a good holiday.

I don't think you'll be in for 6/8 weeks, with the positivity you've shown ; you'll be out sooner.

And you'll get time off for good behaviour :D

Seriously, it is up to you to to be able to get on with your life. But I beleive that you will succeed in getting that life that you want, and deserve!

But you will have to get the balance, rest a bit, learn a bit and work (physio) a bit.

Steady progression, then plan, prepare, participate.

Lesley said:

It is going to be great! A lot of emotions come up.

True words, that's what I found out after my op and learning to start to'walk' a few weeks after my op. Walking and living without the pain, now that's truely great :D

Best as ever

Steve

June , i really don't know the right words to say so , rather than say them , here uis a HUGGE HUG .

((((((((((( HHHHHHHUUUUUUGGGGGGSSSSSS ))))))))))))))

GoodLuck_yourway.jpg

Anticipation! I hope all goes well and you have no surprises.

Be sure to put a little sticky note on your leg for the doctor wishing him good energy too :P

Hi June, I'm sure it is on your mind a lot, with having so many different emotions going on inside. But as Steve said, "with the positivity you've shown," there is no doubt in my mind either, that you'll be up and outta there in less than 6-8 weeks. Only please, don't try and carry it all on your shoulders, share your feelings with your family, as they too will be going through many different emotions. I know it's difficult to do, but at this time, you cannot worry about the pressure on them, they will be fine, believe me. :) Instead, what you have to do is, stay focused on June, so that you can get back home, so not to have to worry about them. Because by not staying focused on you, this is using up a lot of good energy, that you'll definitely need to make yourself well and strong again. ;)

Yes, of course you'll be able to get on with your life and this time, without PAIN!!

Only remember, one day and one step at a time. You asked,

is it going to give me what I expect?

I believe, it'll only give you what you want to put into it, and for yourself and the ones you love, something tells me, you'll give it everything you've got and then some!! ;) So you go for it girl, and you'll be home before you know it and we'll all be right here waiting for your return. Best of Luck and my thoughts and prayers are with you. :D

Sheila LBK

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

My best wishes to you, June. Just realize that you have the upper hand in the situation because you had time to accept what needed to be done and the time to prepare mentally and emotionally. Those facts go a long way in preparation. In a few months, you'll be surprised how far you've come and by the year anniversary you and your loved ones will be so proud of you. Keep you in my prayers.

Carole

Thanks so much for all your replies.

The quickest anyone has got out of Roehampton is 6 weeks, its not the recovering from the operation they keep you in for, its the type of Rehab they do so you don't need to come back for any. If I lived very close I could go in everyday but I don't. I will be coming home for weekends after the first 3 weeks they recon. You are in the walking school in the mornings and afternoons everyday.

Anyway, off to see Spiderman2 now.

I don't think you need it but "good luck" June.

I know everthing will be fine, try to just go with the flow, take things slowly.

You will learn your limits, listen to your body and learn the signs, you don't want to over do things. Brendas baby steps are the best advice.

For the next couple of days do relaxation excersises, the less pain you are in pre op the less pain you will feel post op.

Let us know how you are getting on once you feel ready to post.

As Sheila says, you will get out what you put in.

I am doing so much more than i ever expected. I have started swimming again, it feels like i have been given a kind of freedom. I haven't swam for about 10 yrs, my leg would just cramp up as soon as i started, now i go in the pool for a couple of hours and don't feel any pain at all. I intend to have a go on a bike soon, it would be great if i could get out riding with my son.

You will be posting similar things soon, advising others, telling them of your achievments, sounds weird to you at the moment but 6mths or so down the line and you will look back and realise its true.

post-7-1090150343.gif

June,

I wish you Luck and want to say that you are such a positive person - you are prepared for this - you can do it! ;)

My two lads were 6 and 8 when I had my amp done and I too lived a fair few miles from the hospital they had transferred me to - so I had a taster of what you are feeling. :angry:

Preparing for my amp - I pictured something that had been a really happy memory for me and that I would do again - for me it was playing in the surf in West Wales with my kids - a really happy memory from the Summer before my accident - it really did help and the night before my op - I focussed on this and nothing else - it really did work for me! I also kept thinking of the way I would be, when the swelling etc went down - kept it in my mind the whole time and planned for it to be a goal to walk again by Xmas (op was on November 5th).

Its not an easy process for anyone and we shall all be here to support you when you need us. :rolleyes:

Good luck and stay positive.

Love Sue - Cardiff - UK

There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said above. I agree with everybody, especially Sue's tip about keeping a positive memory in your mind. Whenever you feel anxious or stressed, think back to it. I did the same when I was in hospital too (except I was LAYING on the beach, NOT surfing! :P ) and it helped me deal with things like anxiety and pain.

I believe that people that go in with a positive attitude always achieve more. So start making little goals and you'll be very proud of yourself when you achieve them!

And pretty soon, you'll be on here helping someone else that is in the same position as you now. Giving them advice that only someone that has been through it before can give.

You'll also be telling us all how it was the best decision you've ever made!

All the best June! :D

Thank you Sue, I have never done surfing although it is something my family want me to be involved in when we go to New Zealand. As it happens my little one did a bit one afternoon when she went to a gym camp in Cardiff and she has not stopped going on about it.

I have lots of plans for the future, but I think your right I have to think of something that would really make me happy and make that my aim. In the near future it would be walking hand in hand with my husband and my dogs without pain and at a reasonable speed and not needing to squeeze his hand so tight to release the pressure of pain I'm getting.

A really big aim for a few years time is my dream. I love architecture and history, one day I would love to travel around Italy and be able to walk around the sites of Rome and not even think about the pain.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this forum has helped me so much I cannot express. When the upset happened the other week, I didn't know what to do and panic about how I would cope without you all. My husband is wonderful and I don't talk more to you all than to him about my feelings, its just that he is as new to this as I am and he can only guess at the answers to my questions.

I mentioned the other day when filming about the help I have received from forums on the internet, of course there is only one but I was abit nervous of saying which one incase it created more interest from people who are not wanted. But I think it is important for me to say that there is not enough decussion about this subject and many people are unaware of the facts including medical people. I am one of many how has been left to suffer for longer than necessary because of the opinions of other medical doctors.

Hi June,

sharing your thoughts and feelings with your partner and family will help you and them imensely.

My family were an integeral part of my rehab. They came to see me walk for the first time when I used a PAM-AID (training frame).

The look on their faces was great!

We shared that moment when we all knew I would walk again, without pain!

Something for you and your family to look forward to and share.

best as ever

Steve

June,

I wish you only the best and will keep you in my thoughts. Try to keep a positive attitude and know that we're here for you whenever and whatever you need.

Take care.

caroln

Hi June,

I wish the best for you and your family. "I CAN DO IT"... keep this words running through your mind. Our thoughts, our prayers, our good wishes. we are with you, you are not alone, HE is with you.

Love and hugs

Dea

Good Luck June. My thoughts are with you and your family. I sort of wish it was me, I know that you'll understand what I mean by that. You wrote that you are looking forward to going round Italy when you are better, I had some photos developed at the weekend, we went on a med cruise last October and some of the photos were of Naples, the memories I have from there are - traffic a nightmare, especially when you're on crutches, gorgeous builidngs and lots of pain. So maybe I would like to go back one day and walk around pain free. Also I look b****y awful on most of the photos. I know I was in pain but didn't realise how pale and yucky I looked. So looking to the future, 'things can only get better' as the song goes.

Lots of love and best wishes.

Hi June!

I just want to wish you well - take one day at a time, if you look to far ahead it will get pretty overwhelming :rolleyes: . You have a great attitude so I know you will do well.

My girls were 10 and 7 when I lost my leg to cancer - I couldn't believe how well they did - they are more resilient than we give them credit for. I hope this will ease your mind a little - but I remember how I felt at the time and we all worry so much about our children - just remember " one day at a time".

Keep Smiling :) and you're in my prayers Wendy

Hi June

Posted this on another site (general forum, sorry)

Anyway, good luck with the surgery this week, hope all goes well, I haven't forgotten and will be thinking about you on the 21 st.

Ann

Dear June,

Well wishes from Australia,we will be with you in thought tomorrow.

All the best

Debbie

June , i don't know if i can add anyhthing that has not beeen saidded alrerasdy so , please accepty this HUIGE rainbow enclosed hug from me .

(((((((( HHHHHUUUUUGGGGEEEE HUG )))))))))

I have not been around all weekend and I was afraid I would miss something important like this! JUNE! I am thinking of you, praying for you. Everyone else stepped up and gave you great advice and I will agree with them. I remember laying on the op. table, thinking I could really panic right now or I could think about my new life, a year from then....it was in my control. You can guess which I picked!

And in rehab, when you have bad days, and you will....just remember they are temporary bad days and they will come less and less as time goes on. With your old leg they would have been permanant bad days and had no hope of getting better. I still do that. I seldom have bad days now, with my leg, but I do remind myself, "but I am on the ROAD to getting better!...not on that old awful spiral road of getting worse!" Borrow my phrase..."this time next year, this time next year...." You will be amazed when you see yourself in august of 2005.

Best of luck my friend!

Judy

Utah

LBK

I also have fallen in love with Italy, after watching the movie "under the tuscan sun"....it is also my dream to WALK those streets some day! :D

To be honest I don't think I will panic on the table whilst waiting to be knocked out. I absolutely love the high and ask them to put it in as slowly as possible. When a friend of mine may be going in for their first op I always tell them; you get high - its free, its legal, its not gonna kill yer, what could be better :D

Pam - Now it is you who is making me jealous :rolleyes: If its one place I want to go, its Italy. I'm 33 and I would love to be able to do it by the time I'm 40, it will be more expensive from New Zealand, especially with our NZ dollar, but I'm planning to start a couple of business's of my own when I get out there, so it will be taken care of.

I have private health insurance so I was able to pick my date, but there is always a slight chance it could be cancelled for whatever reason. I'm so close, and keeping my fingers crossed it won't. That must be a good sign. :)

Hi June,

well, by the sounds of things you'll be just fine! :)

Just do me a favour, don't go worrying about houses, visas etc. while you're recovering. Use the time to RECOVER :lol:

All the best of luck to you, strength and smiles :)

cheers!

Hiya June,

Hope everything goes fine for you .Be strong for yourself and your Family. ;)

Lots of Love Don & Angela xx

( Sues Stepdad & Mum )