Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
phillycarole

Took a tumble

Boy oh boy, do I feel like a boof. On vacation, a sort of one year celebration, my cane got caught in some broken concrete and I was brought down. Unfortunately, I broke my hip and had to have the ball and pin surgery to repair it. This happened 1 year and 1 day after my rbk amputation. Anyone been down this path of a broken hip???? This has really shaken my faith in my abilities to negotiate on my prosthesis. Not a fun situation for a 57 yo woman. Would like any advise anyone can give. Thanks. Forgot to mention I broke the hip on the amputated side.

Carole

PhillyCarole

I am so sorry about what has happened. I can't even imagine how it feels to have 2 broken hips and anything like that.

I fell also a couple of months ago. Right on my stump, couldnt walk for days. Limped on my leg.Had a big strawerry on my leg. Just remember that you are a strong person and you can get through anything you set your mind to.

I know your shaken up, and your faith isn't so strong, but take it into God's hands and just try to get better. Ice it down and go to the doctor a lot to see if it has gotten any worse

I know I might not be helping you at all

But just keep smiling and if you need anything

then we are here for you

Lesley

214.jpg

Wow, that was some fall you had. I wish you a speedy recovery! You might think about switching to a arm crutch, the cane isn't supporting you enough.

My gosh, that does sound painful, i cannot even begin to imagine what you are going through.

I hope you recover quickly, it is only a set back though, all be it a very painful one. It will take time for you to gain confidence in your abilities but don't let it put you off.

It wasn't anything you did wrong that made you fall, it was just one of those things, broken concret and walking sticks don't mix.

Stay positive

Be gentle with your excersises.

post-7-1090151034.gif

Hi Carole,

I hope that you are ok and not too sore! I have fallen a few times - but luckilly never did any damage.

Think of this as a blip on a big long road - take time to recover and stay strong and positive.

Good Luck.

Sue - Cardiff - UK

I'm sorry to hear about your nasty fall Carole. Can't offer you any advice as I've never broken my hip before. Sorry!

Wishing you a speedy recovery and hope to see you back here soon. :D

Hi Carole, so sorry to hear you took such an unfortunate fall, that resulted in a broken hip. It must have been quite a scarry and painful time for you, both physically and emotionally, especially being how you were sort of celebrating your one year anniversary. :( Which, btw, Happy Anniversary and I'm sure on you're next one, you'll have a much happier story to tell us about. Only please don't let it shake your faith in continuing forward with your prosthetic limb. That was just a freak thing to have happened, it could have happened to anyone, like maybe somebody's high-heel shoe and down they would have gone also. So I don't see anything you could have done, with a broken piece of concrete in your way. I know we try to be especially careful of such things, because of the prosthetic limb, but sometimes those things just happen. I hope all goes well during your recovery, then I'm sure you'll be up and doing things as you were before. Remember, we're all survivors, so be proud of your accomplishments and don't let anything deture you away from accomplishing more. We're all hear to listen, support, encourage, share a smile or just a shoulder for you to vent on, so good luck and please keep us posted with your progress, k? :D

Sheila LBK

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

Thank you all. I will tell you this broken bone thing is worse than the amputation ever was pain wise. Most of the time I'm getting around on my faithful crutches, but my stubby doesn't feel the same. It feels really heavy and weighted down--like they fill it all up with concrete. Where I always had control for most part, now I don't and I really have to watch it. Take heed, no amputee wants to break the hip--it really louses things up. At times I do put my prosthesis on, but do have to use the crutches since the bend of the leg and gait are not as they were. My poor prosthetist, he'll have to be aligning things for a while again once I can resume wearing it and all. I'm bringing this all out so you have some idea of what you should do all to avoid. Being an amputee is more than enough for any of us to contend with. But thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. It is truly appreciated. Thank goodness we have one another to learn from--the good and the bad.

Carole

Carole,

So sorry to hear about your fall. I walked out of my leg this past week and know how out of control it feels to fall. Not a good time. I hope you heal very quickly and will be up and about soon.

Take care of yourself.

Caroln

Hey friend,

Sorry I hadn't have much time lately for computer. but you were on my mind most of the time..i was wondering how you were doing.. I feel so bad for you.I remember when I was home after my amputation, and a friend who was dating an amputee came to visit me and introduced us..I asked him what advice he had for me and he said "always look down where you are walking..pay attention where you put "your foot". I fell so many times it was ridiculas..even though I was looking where I was putting "that foot" :rolleyes: .

Take care sweety

Dea

Hi Carole

Sorry to hear about your fall and your broken hip.

On Sunday afternoon my hubby and I went to the aid of a neighbour who had a fall in the garden, he also was worried about his hip, but luckily nothing was broken.

Have had loads of falls over the years, for many different reasons, sometimes, pavements, steps I haven't seen etc. etc. however have never done any major damage, although my last one which was a year ago was in the centre of town and made me feel really stupid, the comments of the people in the shop did not help either! It prob. happens to all of us a some time, altho. I am getting to the age where I need to be a bit more careful.

Sorry haven't any advice on broken hips and limb users, altho. I do know of a bilateral who had a hip replacement! Hope the hip feels a bit better soon, take care of yourself.

Ann

Carole,

The fall sounds like a zero on the one to ten scale of anything good, and I do hope you heal quickly. TAKE YOUR CALCIUM! It will help.

Uneven pavement can strike anyone at any time. All of us, amputee and non-, have tripped over many a raised sidewalk, I am sure. Please don't lose your confidence. You will heal stronger than ever!

Hang in there. Anyone from Philly can overcome ANYTHING. :P

-m-

Sorry to hear that!! if its anythink like below? i feel for you

I am in hospital this Thursday myself! after a fall

My art leg never locked and i feel over and dislocated my left sholder :angry:

anyway off to the hospital i went via ambulance and they put me under to put the sholder back in! Guess what happened two day later???............... my arm was in a sling! and my sholder dislocated again! off in the ambulance again!

same thing again! put me under again so they can put it back in!

Wosrt thing about it! is it was out about 9 hrs before the hospital put it back in :blink:

"That was more pain then my amputation! and raptured hernia

oh yeah another time i had a crack ribe after a fight one night outside a nightclub"

So hopefully it be all smiles when i leave hospital this time round after surgery? :D

Better not catch that silly MRSA bug? or whatever its called? because i got that stupid bug when i had my leg off after my accident in 2001 :blink:

Anyway here is me going on!!! Hope you get over it soon!!! and keep your smiles up :) :) :)

Classic Quote

YOU HAVE TO BE ALIVE TO MOAN

I love that line :blink:

I would definately suggest under arm crutches. I have them and a leg brace. I am already practicing walking with just the one leg. The crutches keep you more stable. Arm grip crutches are a lot like a cane (in my experience/opinion) they tend to make you feel wobbly.

Underarm crutches are my suggestions.