Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
JohnnyV

Chat Capability

Would you like chat cabability on the forum?  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like chat cabability on the forum?

• Yes
    • No

We are in the initial discussion stages of considering having chat capability on the forum. :huh:

Would appreciate your input and validation. :unsure:

Thank you. :wub:

I thought an update on this topic would be appropriate, as I have recently received another request. I am still working very hard on trying to bring chat capability to the forum.

I along with a number of other members of this forum use YAHOO Instant Messenger for chatting. It is possible to create a "Chat Room'. If you would like to join us on YAHOO, while we are waiting for chat capability on the forum, please go to the Yahoo Messenger link and download and install the software. It is not that difficult to learn, so give it a try. Would love to chat with you anytime.

http://messenger.yahoo.com/

I have been asked to make this topic public for members to partgicipate in a discussion. Thank you RozM for your suggestion and input. Please feel free to share it.

Hi all, and thanks Johnny for opening this thread to comments.

My thoughts are as follows:

Having used both chat rooms and forums, as a resource I think a forum is preferable, because everything that's posted remains available as an archive of knowledge and information.

My worry about a chat room is that a conversation may contain topics or information that could be of great help to someone, but due to the nature of chat rooms, everything is deleted when the last person leaves the conversation.

Also, even if a chat room were kept open indefinitely, its size and lack of structure would make finding information on specific topics very hard to find.

What does everyone else think about managing these issues? Could we perhaps have a guidline, which suggests that if something important is being chatted about, it's also posted on a forum thread?

If we can manage this, we could have the dynamism of a chat room also backed up with the topic-specific archiving capability of a forum.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Best wishes

RozM. :)

Having used both chat rooms and forums, as a resource I think a forum is preferable, because everything that's posted remains available as an archive of knowledge and information.

My worry about a chat room is that a conversation may contain topics or information that could be of great help to someone, but due to the nature of chat rooms, everything is deleted when the last person leaves the conversation.

Hi Roz,

In relation to your concerns I don't think the chat is being suggested as a replacement for a forum based board ( correct me if I am wrong Johnny ). Rather an addition to what we already have. There have been plenty of times where I have wished that I could log on and chat to someone in realtime about things I am going through and things they are going through without having to log into a 3rd party chatroom or logging into a messenger service.

I generally think it is a good idea. The only quarm I would say that I have is the difficulty in monitoring a chatroom. Realtime allows very little protection from people who might have less than decent intentions. I suppose I am playing "devil's advocate" here!

Overall thumbs up from me!!!

Hi all

I favor a chat room here in the forum, however available 24 hr as to allow anyone from whatever time zone to participate. I also think Yahoo messenger is great for those times we just need someone to talk with. Just list each other on the friends list and you are only a IM away. There is also the capability for conference chats by invite. I was in a group that this worked very well for .

You can also save the conversations

Looking forward to either or both :D

Pattilyn

Well, I'm generally not a big chat fan, so you know what my choice would be if I had to choose one or the other... but as it sounds like the chat capability would be an "extra added feature," rather than a replacement for the forum, I say "let the chatters chat; let the posters post; and maybe the cross-follination would be good for all of us!