Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

Individual dynamics...

Dear all,

I would like to hear your opinions .....

For i have been 'corrected' in a recent post, hmmm!

Please tell me: What is wrong with being positive and confidant, thus taking huge strides and moving on with life ???? ..

I keep hearing about these little steps that should be taken , OK this may be necessary for some.....but that's for them to decide.

I stand to my point : How and with what speed one recovers lays in the individual 'make-up' and, yes, the dynamics of the person involved.

My question : WHY oh WHY move slow when there's not much in your way to slow you down ????

I took giant leaps after my accident (not just because i have long legs , hehe) and as far as i'm concerned it helped me ... Ofcouse, there were a few mild set backs, they come with the deal but without them the HIGHS would never had a chance to develope themselves to a level that they are today.

OK, after rereading this, the statement out-does the question, but please feel free to comment ....

Hi Kaz

Thought about this, then decided that perhaps what people are saying is something akin to "you can't run before you can walk", if you get my drift. For most people it is quite strange when you are first given a prosthetic limb to walk in, and you do need to go carefully at first. I can still remember that, altho. limbs are a lot different these days.

However, if you have been "running" with the limbs and then can't "walk" with them (as in my case at the moment) that is a completely different matter, and so frustrating.

Ann

Hi Ann, thanks for your feedback. There are obviously 'technical' things that can get in the way. I'm sorry to hear about the probs you are having at the moment.

I was refering more to the bigger picture, the whole package ...hope i'm making sense

Hi Kaz

'Little steps should be taken'.

This can be construed as having different meanings, depending upon the context it is used in.

i.e. Little steps should be used learning to walk with a new prosthesis. They are safer, until you learn your limitations. If you don't take 'little steps' you will probably fall and hurt yourself. I know from my own experience and I've got the scars :D

But learning to walk is only a part of the whole picture.

Whilst learning to walk, you also have to live life!

Before I became an RAK, I wanted to be able to 'do' what I did after as I did when I had two legs. That was my bench mark for my future life. So I took big leaps in the first two months post-op. I re-built half my kitchen, decorated the bathroom and toilet and put in a few grab bars, built a desk for my computor so I can use my wheelchair. Basically, organising my home enviroment to accomodate me as an amp. All of this I did from my wheelchair or on my bum on the floor. No major changes so my family were not 'put out'.

So for me they were big leaps.

As time and experience progressed I did more big leap 'things', some of which I would never have dreamed of doing when I had two legs :D

In answering posts to those who are to become amputees, I will always recommend 'little steps' in the context of learning to walk.

Well that's my input.

best as ever

Steve

Kaz , yes , you ar emaking perfect sence heere with what you wrote for sooooo many reasons .

Yaaa , the physical stuff will need the itty bitty teeny weeny steps first but the whole picture has to be re done . Kaz , i have never told my stroy publicly and don't really want to , not ready yet for that but i will say that there was a time i had really thought seriously of just " checkking out " and getting this crappy stuff over with but .............

Ya , i had to like take this HUGE steppp to decide to stay here and re-discover myself and yaa , renew my interst in life an dit came back tol me in a very big way . Kaz , ( crying now ) i thinnked that for me , thie biggest thing i hav ehad to deal with ( still trying to actuallly ) is the past and how to get my head around all that . I think for me anyway , that would be a waaaay huge leap to get past that stuffs .

The big picture at least for me is now about living ALL of life , loving , discovering , learning , creating , being happy with who i am and doing what i have to to make this world a better plaxce to live in . Ya , i will take the physical steps very slowly at first one i do take them , but if i can just get my head around the preparing for those first steps , to me anyway , those will be HHUGE leaps and strides .

Everyone progresssess at differeant rates and for some , what we think of as a teeny weeny step is really the biggest step that person will hav eever taken . STEP ONE : asking yourself ..... do you have the courage to to go forwards . If youib answer YES , i think THAT is a HUUUUUUGGGGGEEE step to the fullfillment of the rest of your life dreams and goals . If youu answer NO , then the first HUUUUUGGGEEE step i think is to find out what you n eed to do to turn the NO into a YES .

Well I'm off to sleep soince it's like 5 am here . Kaz , THANKS

Little steps, big steps, it is all relative, what is a little step to some may be a big step to others. It all depends on what context you are thinking.

At the time i made the decision to have the amputation it seemed like a giant leap, now looking back it was a small step that enabled me to take bigger steps than i have taken for a long while.

Enjoying life is what counts now, i joined a gym, started swimming, these are steps i could never have done before my op.

Taking baby steps to me means not rushing and knowing my limits. It doesn't mean don't do what i want but take a little time to think before leaping into something that i cannot cope with, then having my confidence knocked.

When people say to me take little steps, I initially get frustrated with the comment because I am so eager to make big steps to get to where I want to be and I do not want to be faffing around with little steps.

But...

I am due to have my amp in 2 days, and at the moment when I look at all I have to do, including selling my house while I'm not there, getting visa's etc I start to panic about the amount of 'stuff' to do and 'things' I have to overcome. That is where looking at your future in little steps makes it easier. :)

Thanks for your comments .

Ofcourse, when learning to walk again careful steps (whether big or small... :D depending on leg length hehehe) are necessary ..... BUT....

i truly believe that if the mind frame is set to walking successfully, then the time to achieve this is cut considerably just due to the power of the mind.

MJ, i hope you don't mind me mentioning this but we both know how you have LEAPED forward in the last few months. Ofcourse, there are still hurdles to deal with and to still be dealt with but you will overcome them.

Doggie, seeeee?

June, getting your house sorted out, visas, etc. Don't you think this has to do with organising and prioritizing ?? Anway, i wish you the best of luck for Wednesday, is it? and i wish you positive, forward moving steps in whatever shape or size :)

Lesley, well this is just the point. It's not allowing your confidence to get knocked in the first place. Leaping not into the puddle, but over it....

Hope the point i'm trying to make is sorta coming accross :rolleyes: :lol: :blink:

i should be s;eeping right now but this subject has really affected me more than i thinkked .

The idea of huge steps or teny weeny steps ...what to do first ..... hhmmmmmmmm

Yes , froma PYHSICAl point , ya, its the teeny weeny stpes that will make the differenace BUT . to take thos first teeny weeny steps , im gvuess one has to take the HUJGE step of first wanting to move forwards .

I think there are pleanty of exampples where one can show that a HUGE first stpep is what will make the next one easier .

I think of the person who for the first time tells thier parents that they are " coming out of the closet " . Ya , a vewry hard first step bercauee there is the HUGE risk of rejection and un-acceptance but once it is made known , the rest of the road is much easier to deal with . Then imagime the feeling wheen they hear from ther parents that they already knew but where willing to wait to say anything until the person themselves were ready to " come out "

I thiunk of the person who is willing to stand and protest for what they belive in such as human and animals rights . They riask being yelled at and screwamed at but at ther end , they are still therer standing up for what thery belive in .

I look at those HERE on this forum who are going to have surgury to rid them selves of great pain and discomfort . ImaGIME THE huge STEP it took to make such a decison , having to trust Drs. and a bunch of other people with your very lives .

I thiunk of all here who stand up and give supoport to others al the while sunconnciously being reminded of thier own expereinces .

All huge steps to first take and then , the easier littler ones come .

Kaz , as for you comment to me about where i have gone in the past few mounths . Ya , i see this too but , i had aslo haddded to take that first HUGE step and be willing to first ask foir the help and then actually accept it once given to me . Along the way , i made lifetime frriends and so much more ... in other words , i could never have done it alone .

" ... look in to the eyes of the storm ... look around at the sights and sounds ... "

( Rush )

Hi all,

I do think it is an individual thing! It can also be relevant to how fast you heal, how you are emotionally about the amputation etc., etc.

For me, I couldn't wait.....I wanted to be out of that bed and up and about. I was up and in the wheelchair SAFELY 2 days after my surgery (RBK). I was just getting used to the wheelchair - using it about the ward, corridors and back and forth the loo (hughe relief!). I was on the pam aid 5 days after my op - as they thought I was ready for this. I did take it steady at home - but I also went at my pace - with the guidance of the drs in mind also). Mentally I was really up for it - just wanted to get on with my life and physically I soon caught up! ;)

I had my first leg on 17th December (after the fittings etc) - approx 6 weeks after surgery. I was in it and walking up and down between the bars. Prosthetist was saying - take smaller steps so I can check the foot fitting - but I'm used to striding about (only 5 ft and size 4 feet - so I have a lot of ground to make up!). I took the leg home that day and walked a bit each day - to get used to it. Took time over the Xmas period to walk some more and by January 5th was ready to get back to work. I checked with the Drs etc. and they were ok about it - I felt ready both mentally and physically. I don't look back - only forwards. :rolleyes: I walk without a limp and have my same walking pattern as before my accident and also the same humour and outlook on life - and that was what I wanted - not to be different from before. :P My limb centre has been fab - they let me go at my pace - as long as I am healthy and there are no problems with the limb (touch wood I've been really lucky).

I think being positive, prepared mentally, listening to drs advice and setting small achievable goals, can make a real difference. Also knowing your own body, limitations and being realistic. Remembering that hiccups and blips do happen as will good and days - but if you allow for all of that and remain positive - then its a good outlook to have.

Sue - Cardiff - UK :blink:

June, getting your house sorted out, visas, etc. Don't you think this has to do with organising and prioritizing ?? Anway, i wish you the best of luck for Wednesday, is it? and i wish you positive, forward moving steps in whatever shape or size

I absolutely agree Kaz, and that is what I have done. I have lists coming out of my earholes. :D

Kaz , just something farrther to you rpost that we talked about , abouit taking these huge mental an demotional steps .

Kaz , you mentioned a few time abouit where i hav eebeen an dwhere i am n ow . I must say thatv for the first time in a very long time , i am happy aboiuuyt wjho i am an dwhere i have made it too .

Here is little saying that my dad told me to try an drememebr on those days i am down .

Yesterday is histroy

tomorrow is a mystery

but today is a gift because it is the present

MJ

That saying is sooooo true!

I agree - you can't change the past, you have to live for today and the future is waiting to be unravelled!! ;)

Your dad sounds a fab guy!! :D :D :D

Sue - Cardiff - UK

Hi Kaz, just tossing in my two cents worth, well ok, maybe three cents!! :P :lol:

I interpret 'little steps' as meaning to pace yourself, especially at first. Some people have far more physical and emotional problems than others and for them, definitely go with the 'little steps'. However, there are others who have very high endurance and feel nothing will hold them down. So I guess it's really a matter of an individuals particular situation, as to how they proceed on with their life. I also am a big believer that the mind set (possitive thinking) plays a HUGH roll, in how one progresses with any given situation. :blink:

As far as the 'big steps' that to me means, no time to slow down, just go after the whole picture and don't look back. Me, I personally have learned to take one day at a time, b/c as we all know, in a matter of seconds, that anyone's life can change. That's not to mean one has to be paranoid, but rather, be more aware of just how precious life can be. Do whatever is best for you, only just don't let life pass you by, take time to enjoy and appreciate the little things, for it's those little things that keep us humble. :D

Sheila LBK

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

This subject like waaay reminds of this movie a few years with Brigit Fonda called Point of no return which was i think a remake of the french film Nikita where this gurl led a horrible life and ended up finaly finding the strenght and courage to run away from that life to nmake a new one for herself . ( a very short and not too detailed version of what this movie ws about )

I thnk that Kaz , you hit the point head on by saying that taking the forst step in anything will be the hradest step to take but once taken , all other steps are much easier .

" ..... break on through to the other side .... "

( the dorrs )

( time for me to take my big step and try and go to sleep ... sheeesh , look at the time ...4:30 am )

Actually , before i forget this thought , taking the first step is i think about be able to put aside fears and not letting them take control of ones life . sometimes , that fear is like waaaaay over powering and has soooooooo huge a control that it will dictate the rest of a persons life but overcoming that fear will i think mkae everything seeem way easy after that .

Me, I personally have learned to take one day at a time, b/c as we all know, in a matter of seconds, that anyone's life can change. That's not to mean one has to be paranoid, but rather, be more aware of just how precious life can be. Do whatever is best for you, only just don't let life pass you by, take time to enjoy and appreciate the little things, for it's those little things that keep us humble.  :D

Hey Sheila gurl :)

Yes, i completely understand where you're coming from ...BUT.... :blink: (here she goes again...)

What you are saying here regarding living deeply and aware has actually got alot to do with taking huge leaps...because you wouldn't be willing to take the leap if you weren't passionate about life. Umm, sorry, i have the ability of getting entangled in my own principles :lol: You see, the word 'huge' is just that ... BIG, multi-dimensional, open...WILLING to move forward, to live on a broader plain, with a positive outlook, with the ability to live every second as it if were the last.

This lays in easy grasp of every person, whatever word we use to define it...Sorry, but i just don't believe in limits ... ofcourse there are obvious ones, like moving mountains...hm, that would be a bit heavy :lol:

Look at how many people have apparently NO problems...and are totally unhappy...why is this?

Whether we have two legs, one leg, no legs ... the answer to being happy is allowing yourself to be....

To sum up what i'm trying to say:

Why put restrictions on the human potential ?????

Hmm, sorry i need to stop, i could go on for days ...

and we wouldn't want that ... :o ... yawn ! :D