Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Byteme12

Back from Denver

Hi to all! The trip to Denver for the evaluation went very well. Lots of suggestions made! The doctor, the P.T. and O.T. were all so nice. I'll be going back for some revision surgery on my left limb. Some smoothing on the femur bone and some tightening on the skin to give me a better fit for the new prosthetic. I'll go ahead and get fitted for the right one now and will do the left one after the surgery. The doc thought I walked pretty good considering I didn't start out with 'shorties' or 'stubbies' first. Also will be seeing a shrink,dietician, and start on o.t. They want me to be more active and get more cardiovascular exercise. A change in wheelchair and possibly a different vehicle to drive. All in all it was a good idea to go. Their treatment there is more aggressive and also looks down the road when I won't be able to walk with the prosthetics. So, thats the latest. Any questions feel free to post or e-mail me. Thanks for all the posts when I told you I was going. Take care and God bless!...........................Vince

Hi Vince

please to see the trip went well and you're back.

I've often wondered about the time I won't be able to use my prosthesis because of age and other probs. I've never heard that situation being 'discussed'!

I'd be very grateful if you keep me updated regarding this.

Thanks in anticipation :)

best as ever

Steve

Hi Vince, i am glad to read that your trip went so well. Sounds like you gained an awful lot of information to help you get as much out of life as possible.

I too have thought about what will happen when the time comes that i cannot manage to use my prosthetic anymore but to be honest i push it to the back of my mind for now and get on with improving things now.

Nice to have you back and thanks for letting us know how you got on. :)

Welcome back Vince!

Good to hear that you had a successful trip. Seems as though everyone was really helpful and have started you a new journey!

I wish you every success with it!

Hi. I was under the impression that when I could walk better that the wheelchair would go to the wayside. But the doc there said that was an incorrect line of thinking. You will always have the wheelchair in your life, esp. when you can't handle walking with the prosthetics. So you need to be just as good doing things with the chair as with the legs. He said I'll hopefully get 10-15 yrs. use from my legs, maybe more. It all depends on my health and my stamina. I'm excited about getting refitted since these are now too big and am going to a new prosthetist who is sure she can fit me better than the last one I had. Will let you all know how the new fit goes and also the surgery outcome. Bye.............Vince

Vince, I'm glad everything seems to be getting sorted for you.

I have got one gripe with you though, you appear to be only 9 months older than me, well I want a helluva lot more years than 10 to 15 walking about on my prosthesis (when I get it that is). Is it just a man thing this pessimism (my husband suffers from the same complaint, he says he is an optimist with experience ;) )

Vince, we older generation have got to stick together, I think I must have got stuck in a time warp, I've a 51 year old body, with the mind of a 30 year old.

You know what they say, there's life in the old dog yet :)

Always look on the bright side of life (as the song goes)

With love.

[Hey vince,

I'm a right aka and I've been a non user for medical reasons for 13yrs . I use a mototrized chair when I go grocery shopping. Jusr recently have I used a wheelchair on museum/long excursions. One of the most useful subsitutions for a wheelchair that I have found is to have a rolling stool (like the prosthetists have) only nicer and a different color, I live in a co-op and I use it in the kitchen. It's a knee/back and carpla tunnel saver/saver. It is also smaller and more agile than a wheelchair. I know the day will come when that will not be enough and I try not to think about it too, but i do. If you want to know where i bought it email me at Tigereye2200@aol.com

Unique (hopefully no more)

Unique

Hi Vince and welcome back home. Please to hear things went pretty well and that you feel it was worth the trip. One thing I don't understand stand is, what do they mean, when the time comes you won't be able to wear the prosthetic limbs. Gosh, me and my sidekick are insepartable and would hate to think, they'd come a time when we couldn't be together. :( I'm wishing only good days ahead for you. :D

Sheila lbk

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

Hi. OK to clear up what I said about not being able to use the prosthetics. Eventually there will be a time in my life when I do not have the strength or stamina to use the legs. Walking for a bilateral takes 100% more energy. I may be able to go till I'm 75. But all that depends on my health and my own attitude of how much I want to do. I will try to use them as long as it is feasible. But at some point I'll just be too weak to expend the energy required. Hope this clears it up. Thanks for the posts and will keep you informed of my progress. Vince

Welcome back Byteme! I am so glad everything went well, and It will come along way when you need it to! Thanks for posting and tell us how it went the next time you go!

Lesley