Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Jukka

Flying Cyclist, Bicycle and a Leg

Happened to me a little more than half a year after my amputation:

I was cycling in a park that gets crowded during weekends. I was crossing a bridge over a river and picking up speed as I had climbed on the top level of the bridge. I estimate I had about 25 km/ hour when it happen. There was a huge bee coming onto me from my right. It hit my thigh of my non-amputated leg and stung it. I kind of panicked at grabbed the both brakes, the result being that I had a horisontal flight of more than five metres. I landed like a cat or an airplane, my hands touching down first, like receiving the rest of the body. Once landed I looked behind and saw my leg and the bicycle about one metre behind me. All I was concerned at that short moment was to get up and going as quickly as possible so as not to attract attention and to avoid kind helpers. I reached to my leg, hopped with it to side barrier of the bridge, put my leg quickly on and cycled away, far enough not to have any people around who might have seen the incident. I inspected wheter there was any damage for the bike or myself. Both had just minor scratches,l bike on the handle bar extensions and myself on my palms, not even any blood. Very, very lucky me. I could have suffered fractures with a flight that long and the velocity. And all that I was concerned was not to let any helpful souls to come near me. Must have looked very comical. A flying man, a bicycle and a leg, who disappeared from the scene as fast as they came.

I assessed from the slight damage on the bike that it made two rounds midair before landing. And the leg, no damage, but how it did not fly together with me. I had a PTB socket, which I keep quite tight and does not come off easily. There must have been some force or acceleration when we parted, my leg and me.

That bee was very big, a size of a cow, so it made me to panic. I did not escape totally undamaged, the bee sting developed to an infection and the doctor put me to a courseof antibiotics. She had a very big laugh when I told my story about the bee sting.

Kind regards,

Jukka

hehehe so glad you werent seriously hurt! :D

wow- a bee the size of a cow!!!! (was it more like the size of a baby plastic cow from the toy shop? :P

L x

Is that cow the same variety as the flying pig!!!! :P

I did something similar years ago, was flying along on my mountain bike doing probably 15-20 mph and my wheel jammed in a rut in the track. The result was I went flying over the handlebars,leaving my limb (and Iceross!) behind and landing on the end of my stump which was ever so slightly painful. It must have been some sight though as I wasn't thrown far from the bike so my tracksuit was still attached to my limb, I think the guy walking his dog was rather relieved when i finished cursing, put my leg back on and cycled off!

Mike

RBK

Scotland