Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sksmith3261

Update on Shanna

Shanna is doing much better this time. She still has icky <_< days but generally she is much brighter. I still worry big time but try real hard not to let her see it. Her incision is staying closed. There is one spot that is a little hard that we have to call the Doc on. But least everything is staying closed this time. No fevers either. She is very concerned about the hair deal. It has been falling out in clumps. The Doc says it is beacause of the physical stress her body has under gone and it will grow back. I hope so. She loves her hair. It was always thick and very very curly. As always I want to thank everyone for your thoughts and prayers. I think you guys on this site helped me get through my sadness and gave me the insight I need to help her. Thank you and may God Bless you all.

Hi Shanna and family, :)

It is me, Dea. I am an above knee amputee for almost 10 years now and I have two daughters, one is 36 years old, married with two boys and they live in Brasil. My youngest daughter is 19 years old and she is going to school in California. I can not for a moment think I could take as well as you are if something would happen to any of my girls.. gee..I really think you are so brave and strong!! And the way you described your daughter Shanna, she must be so lovely. I am sure her doctor is right about her hair...I know a young lady, she had cancer and her hair just fell off..well it came back maybe even more beautifulthan before. It's like baby's hair, brand new with so much shine on it!! How does Shanna like to pass her time, does she like to read ? I hope she is not having any pain. I think you also should take the chance to rest a little bit now that she is doing much better...I will continue pray for you, Shanna and the rest of your family. Let's keep our fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong. God be with you,

Dea

Also thinking of you and hope recovery goes well. It is a hard time, but this time next year things will be so much better.....hang in there.

Judy

LBK

Utah

Dear Shanna and Family

It's lesley and I just wanted to let you know that I am so glad she is getting back. Sometimes it hard to go through this, but I am glad this site helped you get through the emotions and let you see a different light. I am so glad that everything is alright, thanks for letting us know.

Lesley

Hello Shanna and family,

What great news to hear that Shanna is doing much better! :D

I hope and pray she continues to do so.

I have thick, naturally curly hair also, and........guess what?............I had to have mine cut short too!

Some blood had gotten into my hair on the operating table and it had dried in. Eventually, my Mum had to chop away at it. I was none the wiser, but later while still in hospital, when I wanted to let my hair down, I wondered why my Mum was acting weird and suggesting I keep it tied back!! She told me what she had had to do. I asked to look in the mirror and was....... SHOCKED! :o A few months later, I went to the hairdressers and asked for them to cut it properly to level it out. This meant having it down to about my ears (it used to be long, down to mid-back length). I cried the whole time. :(

I know it's not the same as falling out, but it affected me also. But, I have learned that it WILL grow back, and that I'm enjoying playing around wth my hair, in ways I couldn't before. Was even tempted to try wigs! However, I have learnt that I am still me, whether I've got long, short or rainbow coloured hair (hehe MJ! :P )

Tell Shanna that her hair WILL grow back again and like Dea says, it will be new, shiny, BABY hair! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update, and I hope things continue to improve for your family.

Hi,

Glad to hear Shanna is getting better. Hope the pain from the osteomyelitis has now gone forever. I have got the same thing in my Tibia and know how terrible the pain is, I am still waiting for my amputation but hope to get it over with very soon.

Love to your family

Hi Shanna and family,

I am really glad to hear she is doing better and those icky days, they will get less and less with time. :D It is only natural that you'd worry and you've done a wonderful job being able to stay so strong for her. That's what parents do, we worry and it doesn't matter how old they get either!! :blink:

My husband's niece (41) has breast cancer and just had a mascetomy (?) in which all her hair feel out. Tho it is now starting to grow back in and she is so excited. :blink: So Shanna's will grow back too and she'll be excited just as excited as Jeannie was to see her hair!! :D I hope her recovery continues to go well and that you find time to get some rest yourself. My thoughts and prayers will be with all of you.

Sheila lbk

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

hi

this is shanna. I have been home for one week now. It is great to be home. I have loved reading all of your responses. I hope to be better soon. I cry alot, and I still have a good deal of pain.

Does anyone have any great idea on how to get over the crying? I'm all ears.

I hope you all are doing well.

Thanks shanna

Hi Shanna,

You are mourning what you have lost and you need to cry and get that feeling out. When you are ready you will sit down and make a list of all the things you want to do with your life and start making the appropriate plans to make them happen. Your hair will be luxurious again, you will be without pain and you will live a beautiful, happy life full of laughter and good times :) Life is a journey and you have only just begun. It is all under your control, you have the power!

Catch today and be happy,

Lark

Don't Be a Worrier; Savour Your Life

SADHU VISHWAMURTIDAS

Worry causes fear, anxiety, tension and stress. These emotions deplete energy and weaken the immune system. Worriers become sick and this is manifested in poor health, because of all the problems that are eating into their vitals.

And worry is certainly not the same as constructive thinking; if it were, we would have found solutions to most of our problems.

Worry usually occurs when we find ourselves faced with a likely outcome we feel is beyond the scope of our control — an outcome we think will be wholly damaging and detrimental to us.

But how can we be so certain? Maybe some good comes out of it as well. So why despair and agonise over something that may actually turn out well, or if it does not now, it might be okay in the long term?

The chain of cause and effect is extremely subtle. The slightest, invisible variation in an event could well lead to dramatic consequences in the future.

Therefore, it is almost impossible to predict what will happen in the long term, and whether it will be good or bad because we cannot know all the variables precisely.

Neither do we know how the fortunes and misfortunes of other people may forward or reverse ours — or for that matter, too, how our fortunes or misfortunes may affect those of others.

It would be sensible to look at life as a long chain of surprises and new revelations. So live it sportingly. The goal of life is not to achieve some mythical point of perfect materialism.

No such apex exists. The goal of life is simply to work hard at becoming better than you were yesterday.

In life, there are no wars to be won, only battles to be fought — personal, physical, social, psychological and spiritual. In our efforts to live life sensibly, God plays the role of the eternal comrade, the invisible companion, the universal friend.

The revered Pramukh Swami Maharaj was approached thrice by a person asking for blessings to ensure that his new business venture runs well.

Maharaj told him that blessings are given not to the individual but to the efforts of the individual. Only if you start working, the blessing will begin to take effect.

God will build a castle for you — not up in the air but within your heart, and it is you who has to lay a strong foundation for it.

Hiyya Shanna , waaaaay happy to see your home and poasting ..... WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOO HHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo gurl .

You asked for a no crying advice thingie . Hmmm , can't help you there too much sice i am the crying queen . I'll cry over ANYTHING . So , my advice to you would be to just let thee tewars do there thingie and once they stop coming, your crying will be over ... well , until the next timee when you simply repepete the stpes i just saidded . :P :P :P

( OK , not trying to be funny but i find crying a huge helpp inridding me of e,otion and once thieer done with , i seem to be more clearerrer )

thanks MJ. that's the advice most are giving me. I just feel like i shouldn't be crying. I was paralyzed before the amputation. SO as the doctor's plainly put it what was the leg doing for me any way. A great big NOTHING-except pain from infection. But I still feel like I am not whole without it. The doctor told me give it a year and you should be fine. So I will wait out the year and hope and pray that I am in much better spirits about the whole situation.

what doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

thanks for your response.

:blink:

Shanna--try to think of crying as part of the whole healing process. As things start getting better the crying will also let up. But don't try and stop it, it is a good thing. There is nothing better for the soul than a good laugh and/or a good cry.

Take care.

Caroln

Hi Shanna (Ladycapulet),

I just wanted to say how great it is to finally hear from you yourself! :D

I'm so glad you joined us. Your Mum has been telling us about you and all that you have been through. I know it's been hard for you.

I am sure you will enjoy this forum. I know I have. It has provided me with endless support, inspiration and information. I come here everyday, knowing that even if I am in a bad mood, I will instantly feel better!

I will smile :D and even laugh :lol: (sometimes we just can't help being silly! :P ) and come away feeling better.

I hope you find the same. You will feel less alone too.

With regards to the crying, I say let it all out. But then later, when you've had enough of crying, as soon as you start thinking about things again, try to distract yourself. Do anything, but just don't think about things too much.

I know how it is. You go down that road and start feeling sorry for yourself, maybe thinking about how things used to be and how things may never be the same again. But one thing to realise, is that when you're in that frame of mind - whether you're an amputee or not - everything is negative. Everything seems impossible or unattainable. Once it passes, and you get out of that mood, suddenly you wonder why you got so depressed and so negative. :unsure: Then you realise that you're not as limited as you may have thought.

That's why I try not to think about things too much, because I have also lost a lot this past year (I lost both my legs AND my hearing). I sometimes feel as if the person I once was is lost. But, I survived, and I believe I survived for a reason. Besides, my family remind me that I have not changed one bit and that I am still the demanding Afet I always was!!! :angry: :P

Anyway, that's how I deal with things. I'm not saying I blank it out and never cry; I cry quite often too, but I just try not to think about things too deeply. It works for me.

So Shanna, welcome to the forum! Glad you could join us! :D :D

Afet--MUAH

That was exactly it. And it is always humbling to know there is a lot more to be had or lost. So why dwell, just live.

As to enjoying the forum....SO far so GOOD.

Thanks again

Shanna :unsure: