Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jberna

Gone for two weeks

The summer is wrapping up and the kids and I are headed across the US to visit with old friends and family. We leave a week from today and wont be back until the middle of August. It might be awhile, once I get back, to sort thru the new postings....but I will sure miss you all and keeping up with how everyone is doing. A lot happens around here in two short weeks... :lol:

I will check in up to Sunday, since it is killing me to be gone that long..... :(

judy

lbk

utah

(wondering a bit which *glitches* I might find on the trip....never travelled long term with my new leg before...plus I will be showing it for the first time to MANY friends and family....many stories to tell when we get back, I am sure! Any tips about long term driving would help...know my leg gets a bit cramped if we drive more than a few hours now...wondering how long days of driving will be...) :rolleyes:

Hi Judy,

I hope you have a great time! You deserve a break.

We'll try not to get up to any mischief while you are gone, but I ain't promising anything! :P :P

Look forward to your return! :D

Have a fabulous time away Judy! Hope you get lots of relaxing in.

I found this link from an article on travel that originally was InMotion magazine, I'm sure you already have done all this stuff but if not :)

What To Do Before Your Trip

Your Prosthesis - You wouldn't think of getting in your car and starting a long trip without first getting the car serviced and being certain that it's in good operating condition. Why do less with your prosthesis?

Here are some ideas about what to do, taken from John F. Schulte's article in the Volume 7, No 4 (August/September 1997) issue of inMotion.

The Socket - Clean it with a mild, non-perfumed soap, using a wash cloth. Allow it to air dry, or gently dry it with a soft cloth. Avoid using alcohol or commercial cleaners.

If the prosthesis has a removable liner, take it out and check for small tears or glue separations at the seams. If you use a silicone suspension system, clean and inspect it in the same way.

The Suspension - Inspect Velcro for frayed edges or weakness in grip. if it has picked up lint, use a hair brush to remove foreign particles. If your limb relies on a strap to secure it, check for signs of wear or fraying. Also check to see that the rivets holding it to the prosthesis are tight. Check loops or rings for indications of wear, rust, or loose stitching.

The Cover - Check for tears or loose glued areas. Since corrosive salt air and the sun's ultraviolet rays can damage covers, depending on where your travels will take you, you might want to acquire "prosthetic skin" before you leave.

General Maintenance - Check a lower extremity prosthesis for looseness at the knee and foot. Listen for odd sounds from these areas that might indicate a worn component or broken part inside the prosthesis. If you use an upper extremity prosthesis, check also for wear in the cable and harness.

Extra Things To Pack

Extra prosthetic socks

A spare socket liner

Duct and filament tape to repair strap or buckle breaks

Antibacterial cream for abrasions from overuse

Screwdriver with interchangeable bits

Spare suction valve

Plastic bags to protect your prosthesis if you wear it around water or sand

Phone numbers of a certified prosthetist and prosthetic facility in the area in which you are vacationing (You can get these by calling the ACA).

Amputee-Coalition

Hi Judy,

I take my leg off for comfort when I drive long trips. I have a pin locking system which makes it very easy to do.

Have a safe and wonderful time on your trip with your family. We all look forward to your safe return.

Best regards,

Have a safe trip Judy,

Cat

Judy!

I hope you have the best time on your trip, you need a break! I don't think I could help you, but I am glad more people have experience, because I am new!!!! But yes we want every detail!!!!

Yaaaaaaayyy!

Remember to have fun

Lesley

Hi Judy,

Hope you have a great holiday. Looking forward to hearing about your adventures when you get back.

Look after yourself

Love from

Judy,

I will miss you while you're gone.. A couple of suggestions travel wearing shorts makes it easier if you have to stop and take your leg off. Also if your vehicle has cruise control use it whenever you can just don't use it when it's raining or when there is standing water on the road from rain. Buy some new skin it's almost like fingernail polish it helps with blisters!

Have fun be safe and give us all the details of your fun trip when you get back.

Brenda

Hi Judy, hope you and the kids enjoy yourselves and have a safe trip. I'm sure your family and friends are anxious to see all of you, as you must be them. If you feel like it's starting to cramp up, try to keep it stretch out as much as possible, where you don't need it for the pedals. Maybe stop and get out to walk a bit, or like Johnny suggested take it off for awhile. Just PLEASE be careful and have a GREAT time. We'll all miss you as well and will be waiting for your safe return, with all the fun stories. B)

Sheila lbk

Southern Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

It is better to have failed at the attempt, than to have never tried.

Hey, thanks guys (and gals ;) ) for the send off. I am excited to show a whole lot of people how UN-scary a prosthetic leg can be. I called a friend yesterday to work out visiting date. She was one who was devastated that I was having the surgery, still cant imagine how I can be living a normal life. ("but how can you walk when you cant feel your foot hitting the ground?...") I have been talking her thru it but look forward to SHOWING her how well I get around.

I think I am the most nervous about my leg working right so I can show them what my true "everyday life" looks like, great mobility, few limitations. I will be BUMMED if while I am there it is acting up for some unforseen reason and I am on crutches! :blink:

Lark, THANKS for the advice about checking out my leg first. I just got a new socket yesterday and while I was "in the shop" I had them check it out thoroughly...quizzed them on who I call if I have problems on the road. (triple A... :o )

Johnny, I had thought I might take off my leg for long spells of drivng. I know sometimes now when we drive to park city (anything over a half hour) my leg starts feeling claustorphobic. I imagined I would drive without it a lot of the trip...the beauty of having a LEFT side amputation. ;)

Spending much of today geting phone numbers written down, pictures organized for this trip...takes some pre-thought now...we used to be spur of the moment people, even with four kids. :P :blink:

I will let you all know before I leave...dont want anyone to think I am being rude if I dont answer a posting....

Judy

Utah

LBK