Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Stephen

Hello you biker holics

Hello everybody!

I be honest i never been in to motor bikes!

However i saw a couple of people on motor trikes the other day

"I thought to myself HOW COOL ARE THEY!!! ;) :lol: "

So if anybody know of a good place to get them? New or Second Hand

I know they have a gear change conv kit for Left AK kit

For people like me :D

So please help me in the right direction to get a trike

Big Thanks!

Hi Stephen,

If you know any local bikers they'll probably point you in the direction of your local conversion shop. Failing that pick up a copy of MotorCycle News (MCN) and scan the ad's. Don't know what the cost of one would be as they're custom jobs. It's also possible to have the foot controls on a standard bike resited or converted to hand if you didn't fancy a trike.

Hiyya Stephen ,

Ahhh , motorcycles , i LOOOOOOOOVE theem and have two of tehm now . ( just bought a new one that i will take delivery in the spring of next year . )

There are several options you can do to make shifting more easier for you .

One option is an air shifter kit like what is used in motorcycle drag racing but you will need a air supply to runi t as wellso , great but not always practivcale .

The next and best option is an electronic shift kit called a CKILCTRONIC ( i will try and find the web site and post it as well ) it works with an electronis thingie that when you push a small button , you can either up shift or down shift as you wish .

For those who need a modificcatiuion for the right side , there are ways to get rear brake to work from thee front brake lever . ( this is what i have to have done to mine )

If you have any questions about bikes , hey , i may be blonde , wait , red head , no , wait , raoinbow colored hair , no , no , wait , sorry , back to red and frizzy ... anyway , i can help you since yaaaaaa , i know a weee bit about bikes ..... been riding for many years . You can PM me if you wish .

( my bike in there graage right now is a green 1998 Honda Pan Euorpean with 180,000 Km's on it )

I

f you want to find a god sued bike , several places are there to find them . Ebay is one place where you can find good deals but you really need to know what your doing before you buy .

HOWEVER , and this is the MOST IMPORTANT thing to rememeber , don't even tHINK of getting a motorcycle unless and untill you have passed a motortcycle training course ... it WILL be the BEST investment you will make . From there , buy the best safety gear out there . Cheap equipment will nOT do thee right protection stuffs and you will regret it .

....And I just knew you'd reply to this one MJ lol. New bike eh? Why not save on all the adaptations and get a scooter like me :lol: We're down to 2 (technically they're hubby's) now but I'm looking out for a small frame because they're lower to the ground. Bear in mind peeps, if you aren't very tall like me, (I found this out the hard way) that you can't bend your ankle so any bike you ride needs to be low enough to put your feet flat on the deck or you'll just end up having some very hairy moments at traffic lights and things :(

The next and best option is an electronic shift kit called a CKILCTRONIC ( i will try and find the web site and post it as well ) it works with an electronis thingie that when you push a small button , you can either up shift or down shift as you wish .

Here the website for Klicktronic

I was looking at this system for the car I'm building - a motorcycle powered Lotus 7 replica - but have decided against it for the moment (cost) and am going for a hand operated clutch on the shifter. Maybe later on I'll go for the Klicktronic system as it does allow full-throttle shifts (with additional electronic bits)

Don't know of any production “Trikes” except perhaps Harley Davidson. Usually trikes are a custom built item

Dave

Hi everybody!

Thanks for all your replys!

I think i get a trike first before i think about a motorbike as they are a bit more stable "as i a have never been on a bike before" i had a moped a few years ago which i enjoyed before my accident "plus i want something to look mean"

I have found a place nr brands hatch which converts bikes to trikes

thats great for me as its in kent

they suggested to me as i have never been on a bike before! dont go and get a more powerful bike then 650cc actually they told me to try and get a 535cc for my first one "then they will convert it"

Right i get to the point! as i am going to get a second hand 535 cc ;)

I want it to look like a big harley davidson type bike :P

So any bikes which are about 3 to 5 years old "which looks the bizz"

Can i have some names?

I have been told these are the ones to look out for

YAMAHA DRAGSTAR

YAMAHA VIRAGO

HONDA SHADOW

I like the dragstar style best at the mo!

its a shame the suzuki intruder aint 535cc "because i do like that style as well"

I can picture it next summer now!

summer breeze and steve with his trike taking it with ease

Oh yeah the other reason for the trike, i can ride it with my car licence

Thats the big point i want one B) B) B) B)

Ps if you dont hear a reply for a week or two? Dont worry as i be offline for a couple of weeks

Thanks everybody all the best

One good thing about trikes is the fact that even the most blind of car drivers can't claim they haven't seen you. Bad thing is you can't filter and overtake like a real bike.

I'm a bit sore about biking at the moment and am selling both my Fazer 1000 and Ninja 636 as that was the reason for amputation. My Fazer is repairable for about £1000, me quite a bit more and not fully returned to mint condition :rolleyes::angry: . All the card driver needs is a new bumper as I removed that with my shin :D

Hiyya again ,the queesstion of a trike came up here and i looked into that after my injury too bhu7t found onoy a very few good companies that make them . The best of the bunch is a Canadian companay called LEHMAN and while they are by far the very best one , you do pay the price ... about $15,000 for the kit and instalation . another option and one that i will have to go with is a sidecar . I have riden sidecars in the past and love them waaaaay hugely so this will be a waaaay cooooool addiddition to my new bike .

Cazzy sadidded something about scooters . This gurl is waaaay coool becaus escooters are waaaaay cool too . You can get scotters from all sixzes . Honda make one called the SILVERWING wchich a 600 cc scooter and is autyomatic . Susike also makes one called the BERGMAN which is auotmatic but can also be shifted by hand like the hand shifting thingies on F1 race cars . Both are not badly priced at aboytut $10,000 USA funds .

If you are looking at a trilke conversion , you rreally need to avoid the sdmall cc bikes because they will just be strong enough to handle the extra weigth and bukl of the new conversion . The smallest size to use a trike PROPERLY is at least a 1000 cc bike . If you go with a sidecar however , yes , you can use a smaller bikie .

Now , i made an error in mentioning hair color in my post abopve . I failed to say what the color of the DAY would be so , as of today , I will have GREEN hair . :P :P :P

visit www.disabledmotorsport.co.uk

better still, attend the Amputee Motorcycle Track & Information Day on Monday 20th September at Donington Park.

Scott Richardson

Limbless Association

0208 788 1777

I am hoping that when I am a big shot attorney or Judge I will be having myself a mean looking trike. I am personally interested in a Harley. It just sounds cool to me to say I have a harley!!! I also like the trike idea because you can soop up the engine to a V-10 (I think) That means it will be a FAST hog :P !!! I was considering this before I became an amputee because the trike has more stability. Glad to hear that you can drive one with just a drivers license (hmm...maybe mine needs unsusupended B) )

Now that peeps are talking my language I will participate in this thread...lol

:angry:

Thanks for everybodys views, thoughts, and pointers ;)

Ok i am halfway there now! as i got a 2002 harley 883 sportster today

so know its the covertion bit :unsure:

I found two in the area nr me

Eurotech in Cranbrook Kent + Uralmoto in Brands hatch

has anybody had any work done with them?

Or any other trike builders that you know off? Which are good?

Thanks and speak soon

Hi Stephen, sorry I can't help regarding your Harley, which btw, nice choise. B) However, I would like to say, CONGRATULATIONS on making it halfway and with your confidence, I'm sure you'll have no problem making it the rest of the way!! Good Luck and hope you keep us posted on how things are going. :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

I would rather do things differently, than to do nothing at all.

Stephen , congrats on your new bike . WOOO HOOO . yaaaayyyyyyyyyyyy . :D :D :D OK , I'm a Honda gurl but any rider is a freind of mine . As for your spellling , sheeesh , have you seen of mine ? :P :P :P

Hey MJ, I get my bike tomorrow, it's a Schwinn and has to be peddled, :lol: that is, if I can keep both feet on them!!! :unsure: :o

Just a little to old to be this biker chick now, but not you and besides I gotta a feeling the only trike I'll end up on is a three wheeler! :lol:

bd78.gif

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

I would rather do things differently, than to do nothing at all.