Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
britinfrance

How Many Bikerholics?

How many in this forum still own or ride regularly?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How many in this forum still own or ride regularly?

• Used to but dont now
    • Never did and never will
    • Still do

After several posts have mentioned motorcycles I thought I'd ask the question!

I'm not sure how the poll thing works but hope I got it right.

I have a penchant for all things old and British (like me!) and right now have 2 triumphs and one BSA.

One of the triumphs is still in a box in the basement!

Hi Keith

your poll works fine :)

I never owned a motorcycle, but a Vespa, GS in the 'good old' days of mods and 'Rockers'.

Ah! those were the days, anyone for Clacton?

best as ever

Steve

Technically I still own bike's (Yamaha Fazer 1000 and Kawasaki ZX6R 636) but haven't ridden since 29/05/04, the day I was knocked off the Fazer.

My confidence has now gone and the bikes are to be sold. My girlfriend is also selling hers for the same reason. Neither of us fancies the other one going out alone and then waiting for the phone call to tell you their in hospital.

Don't get me wrong. I don't see bikes as dangerous but there's too many other things to go wrong. Dozey drivers, poorly maintained roads, people and animals running out in front of you.

I've never come off my bikes at high speed even when I've run over suicidal badgers and they're a big animal for a bike to go over.

Sorry just having a rant right now grrrrr.

I think we must all be slightly deranged to still like bikes. Of my many mishaps a drunk driver was the worst but of the lesser ones a sheep created havoc one Sundays afternoon in Somerset. Worse still the bloody farmer wanted compensation for his sheep!

Now living in the states in Michigan you have to be careful of the odd deer in the twilight (a lot bigger than a sheep).

The most stupid accident I had (I'm on a roll!) was at a zebra crossing on my moped. The nipple had snapped off the throttle cable so I tied it to my foot and was able to operate the throttle with my foot resting on the foot peg. I came up to a zebra crossing and, being the curteous person I am, stopped and put my feet down. Unfortunately two things happened, I'd forgotten about the cable tied to my foot so the engine revved like crazy and the other was that the cable wasn't long enough for my foot to reach the ground and I fell off. So now there I am lying on the ground with my little moped lying on me with its engine screaming in the middle of high street. It tok a while to right myself but the amazing thing was noone asked me if I was OK, they just continued walking accross the crossing as if I wasnt there!! Ah well all good fun!

A motorcycle pole ? Sheeesh , what do yopu side stands are for . :P :P :P . Ok , i did answer the pole but i have not riden since my injury although i will be riding again by this time next year . I have a beautifull green Honda Pan European ST1100 and just bought a new Pan European STX1300 which i will take delivery of next spring ... yup , will two bikes and nO , non of them will be for sale . My dad also rides and he has a Honda Goldwing GL1800 and my mom has a Honda Goldwing GL1500 .... my dads old bike . Oh ya , did ever menetiion tthast i love motorcdycles . :P :P :P

ARGHHHHH-tried to reply to this thread and my pc crashed, so I went shopping in town, came back and I'm still logged on :lol:

We have got 2 scooters just now-a customised (Combat Rock) Servetta 200 (like an Italian Lambretta GP but made in Spain). Groovy green paint, lots of gold plate/leaf and murals of the Clash. The other is a PX which is in in lots of bits round the garage because it's being tuned and rebuilt as a cutdown streetracer. We also had a P200e, but I sold it to my brother so I can get a small frame (only so much room in the garage). Hubby is actually riding round on a Yamaha Thundercat at the moment though, but that goes up for sale when the streetracer is on the road and run in.

Steve-showing your age there....mods and rockers LMAO :lol: My favourite all time rally is Gt Yarmouth-been about 6 times. Least fave (sorry to Welsh people) was always the Welsh runs mostly because of the rain and the mountains and not least because I was trying to get to one when I had my accident :(

Muz I do agree with what you say about the roads these days. Far too busy and dangerous-they were bad enough when I was a teenager, but a lot worse these days. I hate when my old man takes the Thundercat out-live in dread of him having (another) accident.

Britinfrance, my family have a history of obsessive Triumph ownership. Both my older sisters had tiger 100s AND their boyfriends had Bonnevilles. Middle big sis' was always such a wuss though and I used to have to kick hers over for her as she got a bad kick-back the one time-usually helpful to rubber mount every last nut and bolt too as they have a tendency to just rattle to pieces otherwise. One of the bf's also had a Bonneville 1977 Jubilee edition with a nifty silver paint job and left hand gear change-ooerrrr.

Doggie,

You and I are from the same era. Now in 1972 I was a pillion passenger on a Lambretta (Mods Rule) and it was all the extra metalwork on the scooter that caused my serious injuries. Thirty two years later, I am still suffering (but not for much longer, hopefully).

My husband (not the person I was with at the time of the accident) was always a motorbike person (Rocker, ugh!!!) and he still has a motorbike Suzuki GSX 600F, wrapped in cotton wool in the garage, which will be freed after I've had my op. He won't ride it at present, because, being a pessimist, he thinks we wouldn't manage with both of us laid up with damaged legs. ;)

Its very weird that this topic has come up, because only last week he asked me to post a message asking for advice on this matter. In other words, do you think he should ride at the moment or not? Comments please.

Pam in 1972 I was just being born :lol: Know how you feel though, Dad and my sisters were bikers and then there's me :angry: I did train my baby stepbro' pretty well though in the art of scooterism tho' we wore pilot jackets, not parkas :P B) You should come to a scooter do sometime, its still loads a fun-the last one I went to 'the Whoo' played and it was a totally BRILL night-that's where my avatar piccy is from on the club website.....here's the link to the rest of it so you can see what a 'orrible lot they all are, bless :rolleyes:

scooter do

And here's the Whoo:

the Whoo

Hiyya Pam , to answer your question woulds be waaay sort of unfair since it isa decision that only i thinked the twqo of you need to make . Howeveer , as i have recently leaddderend , there is no reason to stop living and having fun . I can't wait to get on my bike again and once i am on it , there will be a briggt side too ........ you all wonn't have to read all my postesd with the ususaL amount of unsuuusal spelling .

Cazzy , that link is waaaaaay cool .... love it hugely ... :D :D :D Are you in anyt of the pics .

...sorry forgot the question Pam-like MJ says, its one you have to decide for yourselves. I haven't personally ridden in a while and I am not too hot on the Yamaha-too much oomph for my liking and hubby only ever rode a scooter before. I'm trying to convince him to get a small car instead for work and keep the scooters for rallies and taking to shows 'n the like and I think I worry more because the kids are quite young at the moment-BUT I do want to take the racer to Santa Pod and places and ride it 'cos I'm by miles the better rider B) :P

Yep MJ, my avatar is on the 'guests' page along with all the other ugly mugs :lol:

More bikey stuff, this is where we go to watch Speedway-just to prove I'm not JUST into scooters.......

cov bees

.....from my point of view it is PURE coincidence the riders are all so dishy and my old next door neighbour is the pits steward B) B) B)

Motorbikes are my main form of transport they are the best way of getting around on our over full roads especially in the summer when all the caravans arrive on the yorkshire coast

I do have a car but don't use it much always prefer two wheels

my fave bike died last week, a suzuki VX800 thankfully the tax ran out at the same time I am now looking for something new possibly BMW but for now I am limited to my girlfriends GPZ500 too small too loud and too many gears

Anyone wanting advice about bikes should try http://www.nabd.org.uk/ they are a charity helping bikers with disabilities

I'm glad I askedd the question about bikes!

Well, I'm not quite old enough to have taken part in the mods and Rockers war but remember hearing about them :D

I've always thought scooters were a little dangerous, you can't see which way the front wheel is pointing!!!

My triumphs are bothe T160 tridents with electric starts (easier on my bad leg!) but I still kick the BSA over. The other problem I have is the gear shift and the brake pedal are reversed on the BSA (like all really old British bikes) and that can cause a heart stopping moments when you momentarily forget.

Cazzy, did your family never want to beat you up for riding around on a scooter? :P

Marianne, I hadn't seen a Honda pan european before, it looks kinda cool but my bikes have less bits on them (less to break when you fall off!)

Anyway thanks for answering the poll everyone!

Cazzy, did your family never want to beat you up for riding around on a scooter? :P

Oy, don't you start!!!! :lol: Curious pecking order in our family-middle big sis used to try to beat me up, but older big sis hated her anyway and used it as perfect excuse to beat her up. Baby stepbro' jus' did as he was told by MOI :lol: B)

Hope all you scoot jockey's didn't class yourselves as bikers and spoil the poll results :P :P . I'm sure the question was aimed at real bikers :lol: Sadly I'm not one of them any more as I received the cheque for my Fazer today and the dealer came to pick up my Ninja :( :(

Pam, if you're fella has to ask the question I guess he knows the answer but if he wants to give up just for you he might come to resent it later. Sorry if that sounds bad but I'm not quite sure how to put it better.

SCOOT JOCKEYS????? People can be soo hurtful sometimes :P I'll 'ave you know Murray I was born and bred into bikes. At 3 years old my Dad used to ride me round on the petrol tank of his Bultaco at AMCA meets just before he would compete 250cc Seniors and lots of uppy downy in the garden-my Mum use to go APO at him for churning up 'er daffodils :D We spent many weekends sat in muddy fields surrounded by cow poo watching 'im compete and ALL the family friends were bikers. So WHAT if I decided to ride scooters too-they have their own merits, and it's not just the scooters there's much more to it than that. I actually nearly lost my life being a 'Scoot Jockey' as you put it and that's how come I'm sittin' here an amputee chatting on this board if you really want to know!! :unsure:

I don't ride my own bike but I'm a passanger of my husbands 2003 100th anniversary Harley Davidson Heritage with the anniversary colors of black and silver. Way to much fun and sometimes I want my own bike. I have considered it so much that every time we are at the Harley Davidson dealer I straddle a few just to see how it feels.

Was looking for a picture of me sitting on a harley but I couldn't find it. Oh well

Humble apologies Cazzy1. Sorry if I bought back some painful memories. No offence was intended.

Umm, don't worry 'bout it Muz-see my anniversary thread for explanation of yesterdays tetchiness :angry: I should be more than used to it because I used to get so much stick off my family, but mostly in jest. I have actually found that attitude from bikers quite uncommon and only from those who've watched Quadrophenia once too often :unsure: As for memories, well thankfully the ones I do have don't bother me as much nowadays and I'm just getting on with it like everyone else really. I have FAR too much other stuff to worry about in the here and now to sit brooding on something that happened 15 years ago :D

I think there will always be a little rivalry amongst the two wheeled fraternity (and sorority!!) but as far as I have ever seen its always been friendly!!

Its also great to know that a third of the forum still rides!!!!

Yes Britinfrance there is the solidarity thing-just look at the MAG rallies...noone ever moaned if scooters turned up then. I didn't ever go on them though, 'cos I could see the argument against leg protectors alright, but never did agree with encouraging people not to wear helmets and that kinda thing that used to go on!!!!

I also know plenty of people who took scooters to the Bulldog Bash and some of them to dragrace against the big bikes-there was this one lad with a Lambretta called the headless chicken or something and it PEED on loads of the big greebo bikes :lol: :P :P

MAG rallys, Ah takes me back!!

The nearest thing I've been to here in Michigan (by the way Paris was way better! lol) is the Battle of the Brits Rally. Its pretty cool, theres a load of Brit bikes and cars show up, its not like a rally where you camp or anything but it is interesting.

And on Protective gear? Well youre talking to a lad who always wears a jacket jeans and boots when I ride (needless to say a helmet as well) so Im totally in favor of it, but I guess theres freedom of choice too so I get mixed feelings on the helmet law.

By the way, do you have a fur trimmed parka? :P

Sorry once again Cazzy. I did read your other posting and felt even worse. The scooter comments were only supposed to be light hearted. I knew one or two lads who used to ride scooters from the days of my mispent youth. They often used to come out with us and there was never any ugly rivalry between us only good natured fun.

I do have a black sense of humour sometimes, probably developed during 22 years in the Royal Navy, which probably explains why I spent most of my time in hospital laughing. I'll try and be more carefull in future :unsure: