Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Brenda

ACA Conference 2004 Review

Hi Everyone,

Well I'm back from TN and I had a fantastic time. If any of you ever get the chance to go to one you should it is such a wonderful experience. I met JohnnyV and what a sweet man, he is very carying of the forum and everyone here. We did get to hang out quite a bit but because there is so much to do in so little time I didn't get to see him as much as I wanted. He is such a busy man.. LOL

I hope to be able to go next year which will be in Dallas TX from aug 11-13th (I think those are the dates I read.

I'm so glad that I'm back and look forward to reading all the posts that I missed but for today I'm exhausted and need to hit the sack.

Welcome back

Lesley

Hi Brenda!

We want to hear all about the convention when you catch up on your rest.

Welcome back :)

Welcome back home my friend!!!! Anxious to hear all about the details and hopefully see some pictures, that is, after you get some much needed rest. <_<

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

I would rather do things differently, than do nothing at all.

Hi Brenda,

Welcome back! I hope you both enjoyed yourselves.

You'll have to fill us in with all the details later. ;) :D

Dear Brenda,

You are such a great dancer with a lot of energy. I had so much fun dancing on Friday night, and being in the Freedom Fashion Show with you. I hope that we get to do something like that again at some time in the future. What a real joy that it was to have had the opportunity to meet you, and to see your advocacy work with other amputees in person. You just never stop. What a giving human being you are. Congratulations on receiving your 'ACA Peer Visitor Certification' on Sunday. Now, your peer visits are officially recognized by the ACA. You will be able to help so many more amputees whose lives will be touched by yours, as is the case with so many of us on this forum. Keep up the really great work that you continue to do. In the mean while, it’s back to earth, or should I say reality, for the both of us.

Thank you for your kind words of support. I always feel so special to have met so many wonderful people like yourself, who I have made friends with on this forum. It makes the whole experience of amputation so much more meaningful, and less regretful. Oh sure, there will always be my previous life that I loved. But it’s my present love of life, and all of the people in it that means so much more right now. :angry:

All the best to you Brenda, and I hope that you can make it next year to Dallas, TX. I plan on being there, and hope to be able to meet that many more people from the forum. How about you Lesley? It will be in your home state.

Welcome back Brenda,

Cat

Hi,

Welcome back from the convention. Hope you all got a chance to meet each other. Am eager to hear how it was. Do we have some new Certified PV's? How was the turn out? Know it takes a while to recuperate after the conference, but let us know when you catch your breath! :D

Hi Everyone,

Yes I have finally caught my breath (well maybe not completly) and not as tired because I have taken some afternoon naps (they have helped).

Ok details. JohnnyV knows how to cut the rug (dance) and Thank you Johnny for dancing with me I had a fab time. The Fashion show was so much fun I enjoyed myself so much but it was a little nerve racking to be center stage. My biggest fear was tripping and falling infront of all. I ran across the stage as I was modeling running clothes/gear (go figure right) LOL What an experience to meet all the others that were in the show as well (Amy Purdy who is so beautiful) and others as well (I'm terrible with names. The networking with other amps my age and even those who run or have the desire to run. Exchanged my e-mail address with many (how fun is that) now I can call some of these people my friend. Really most importantly is to know that there are others that have the same issues as I do and I also met several who were my age (not telling) that were also born missing there limbs (just like ME) that made me even happier to know that I wasn't the only one.

I am now Peer Certified (what does that mean) I took an all day course (by the ACA) that taught me the proper way to go into hospitals or homes to talk to new amps in person or call them on the phone even. What a thrill for me so that I can do what I so love (help other amputees) I just want to give back to the community that I belong to since I had no one when I was growing up.

I so enjoyed myself and was sad when it had to end so on that note I am saving my pennies so I can go to Dallas next year! I encourage all that can attend to attend believe me if you network and use your time wisely you won't regret it.

LOL, how fast did you run? Could they see the clothes or was it just a blur :P How much fun did you have really? Modelling, dancing and becoming a peer counsellor all in a couple of days? Not to mention all the networking. What a great event this sounds like. A convention full of people interested in each other rather than a big drunk and practical joke fest (or were those members of the group just not mentioned :lol: ) Glad you had such a fantastic time Brenda :D

I didn't run that fast Lark.. b/c if I did then nobody would have seen my great outfit and gear. I'm not a big drinker so I didn't get drunk did have a few drinks each night but I also knew if I got to drunk I wouldn't be able to function the next morning and with so many things to do and see and the people that I wanted to meet and hang out with it just wasn't on the list of things to do. Yup the whole experience was fantastic and at times a little overwhelming b/c there was just so much to do.

I want to share a photo of me and this wonderful guy named JohnnyV so here it is.

post-7-1092925481.jpg

Thanks for sharing Brenda it's a fantastic shot.

Cat

Hi Brenda and Johnny

'a picture says a thousand words'!

This photo of you both, certainly does!

What an inspiration for others, to see you having fun, dancing.

Especially for those who become amps.

That is a great picture.

Thanks for sharing.

best as ever

Steve

(Who is wondering what the music was, that you guys were dancing to

:rolleyes: )

Hey Brenda, 'you go girl' GREAT picture of you both. :D

I'm really glad that all you guys had this oppurtunity to get together and enjoys yourselves. ;)

Hey Johnny, looks like a Travolta thing going on!!! B) ;) That hat really does something for ya..... but what I'm not sure!!! :P :D :lol: (j/k)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

To say I can't is to admit defeat, to say I can is to feel complete.

Great Picture Brenda.....

and a couple of semi snide comments... :lol:

It looks like New Balance is the shoe of choice... :D

And Johnny, as a born and bred southerner, me thinks someone saw you coming and heard your New York accent to have sold you that hat... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for posting that Brenda.

Kep :P

Thanks for posting the photo Brenda, it certainly looks like you were both enjoying yourselves.

Brenda it sounds like you got a real buzz from attending the conference. :)

The hat and bandana was part of a door prize that I won donated by Ohio Willow Wood. It was not my hat of choice, but I figured what the heck, YE HA, and it became part of me that evening.

I was really into the moment, so I can't recall what music they were playing at the time, but in a country bar I know that it wasn't the BeeGee's. Do you remember Brenda? The convention went by so fast that it seems like one big blurr at the moment.

I can't wait for Dallas, TX next year.

Thank you for sharing the picture Brenda. Very cool ! ! !

I cant believe I missed out on all the fun! I just got back from our three week trip cross country (me driving with four kids alone...had more fun than you would think...) and am checking back in. Had to respond to THIS posting first. SO glad you all had a great time at the convention. Brenda, you are the greatest PR they could ask for, for next years convention! Maybe this photo should be on their brochure for next year....hmmmm...

Johnny, that hat is definately wearing you! LOVE the photo...if I were computer literate I would print it out for my bulliten board....NEXT year I want to be in on the fun! Most of my siblings live in Dallas so I will FOR SURE be there next year! Drop the kids and Jeff off at my sisters house, with pool, and head to my own kind of fun with you guys!

Glad you both had fun!

Judy, finally back in Utah ;)

Well that hat can be a great reminder of the fun you had, which I'm sure you all will have next year too!!! :D Nope, I can't picture the Bee Gee's in a Saloon either, musta been Toby!!! B)

You asked, "Do I remember Brenda"????...... Do you???? :P :lol: :rolleyes:

I know the feeling, used to have a few of them blurrs myself!! :lol:

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

To say I can't is to admit defeat, to say I can is to feel complete.

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad you all liked the picture as you can see we were having a ball and Johnny V sure can cut the rug. I had so much fun and was just living life to the fullest like I do every day. The main thing about me is that I do everything that I want and nothing is going to stop me. I did end up getting a pretty bad blister on my stump because I was having wayyyyyyyy to much fun. Go figure.

Now I'm gonna show you a picture of me on the stage. I'm laughing because I'm not a model and can't believe I was one of the models. HEHE

post-18-1121191474.jpg