Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
moblues

Amputees Across America

Hello my name is Bruce and i am one of three amps who will be bicycling across the country to promote amputee awareness and raise funds for local amputee support groups. Along the way we will vist about 15 rehabilitation centers and talk with new amps and hopefully provide some words of encouragement. We start in Seattle Washington on May 31st and end our journey in Jacksonville Florida on July 25th. If you would like more information please visit our website at http://www.amputeesacrossamerica.com

....see ya...Bruce

Hi Everyone,

Check out this site http://www.amputeesacrossamerica.com and let us help them in their endeavor.

They are biking across the country spreading the word of amputees and raising awareness. Way to go! :D

Also another cyclist --

check http://www.ampu-cycle.com and as with above site you can also follow his progress and send words of encouragement.

Funny thing happened to me the other day. We had out of town friends visiting and had to take two cars to get to Park City to play at the Olympic park. On the drive there my hubby, driving the other van, had stopped to get gas. I pulled up to the station about five min. behind him. My kids jokingly say, "who is dad talking to NOW?..." I looked, then looked twice. He was parked at a pump, getting gas, and directly behind him was a huge van, covered in pictures and words, that said, "AMPUTEES ACROSS AMERICA".....and he was chatting up the AK who was driving the thing.

I parked, got out and walked quickly over to them. When I walked up, the guy from the van's eyes got wide, he grinned, then looked at my hubby....they had talked the whole time and my husband had failed to mention he was MARRIED to an amputee! The guy got a kick out of that! :ph34r:

My husband knew it would be right up my alley, how I love to advocate for amputees and how I love to ride bikes. This guys name was Richard, from Canada, and he gave me info on the website and their travels. They have a great website, check it out. It is http://amputeesacrossamerica.com , I believe. His story is listed under the "riders at large" bios. He rides a recumbent bike because of bad arm muscles.

VERY friendly guy, very excited about their mission. The website lists the places they will be coming thru, the rehab clinics they will be visiting, and a whole section about the YOUTH riders that are riding with them. NEAT bios of kids with amputations who are riding different legs of the journey. I think one has what Eric and Josh had.

He gave me one of their bright yellow shirts that says, "Ordinary people doing extra-ordinary things!" I promised him I would pass the word on. Check out the website and see if they will be in your town this summer. ITINERARY They would be worth going out to see.

You never know who will pull up behind you at the gas pumps.... :P

Judy

Utah

LBK

Thanks Judy for posting about the Amputees Across America bicycle ride and web site. I learned about it last year and followed daily the trip as they went. It was most interesting and those guys were such clowns at times. I even managed to get in touch with Bruce and got a poster that now hangs in the HealthSouth rehab facility where I am still doing some therapy. Another group of riders is set to start in a couple of days. Oh yea, they skydive too along the way.

Kep

Judy,

That's pretty cool that you got to meet the crew. Thanks for sharing....

Johnny...I was not sure where this posting should go, so you can move it to wherever you think is appropriate.

I have been tracking their progress online after meeting one of their team members at a gas station a few weeks ago, and the gang that is cycling across america was in my city today. (salt lake city) My 12 year old daughter went with me to Shriners Childrens Hospital, where they were doing a visitation. Good to meet the team, including two jr. riders they had, a 12 and 14 year old. Good stories, good laughs. Tomorrow I will be taking all my kids and hubby to an airport near our house where they are going to be sky diving before they leave town on monday...headed to Colorado.

It is a nice group, I encourage all of you in the US to check out the site, see if they are headed to your town. They could use the encouragement and happy faces of fellow amputees. They said today that their website was hacked in the night last night, they are working hard to get it back...so if it does not pull up today, try again tomorrow. I think the site is actually "amputeesacrossamerica.com" or something close.

Judy

Utah

LBK

Hey Judy!!!

Thanks for giving us that information and I will check it out

I will also write you an PM

Hope to talk to you later

Lesley

Hey

Yes Judy its Hacked

and thats just so horrible

well talk to you soon

Lesley

Johnny...once again, you are AMAZING! Thanks for merging these...it was fun meeting the guys, and gals, and esp the young kids. My kids got to see kids their age with "mommys leg"! If anyone has them come thru your town, go out to see them!

Judy

Utah

LBK

Thanks for finding this, Johnny. I had been a bit frustrated that I had seen NO press about their visit, in a huge city like salt lake city. They did two visits here and a sky dive and I wish more people had known about it. Next year I will have to get on the horn and have some press announce their arrival beforehand... ;)

Judy

LBK

Utah

I have been selected to make a transcontinental bicycle ride and in so doing to represent thousands of patients suffering from a physical challenge. This year marks the sixth consecutive year that amputee bicycle riders from Amputees Across America will ride their bicycles across the United States visiting over 30 rehabilitation hospitals along the way.

I will be joining three other riders to meet the challenge of riding a bicycle across America and to generate a message of hope to thousands of patients in rehabilitation hospitals, recovering from an accident or illness. We, each represent the typical patient in our healthcare system. Our ages range from 51 to 66 years. We are not young certainly… we are by no means super athletes… and we are not professional bicyclists. We are volunteers, just ordinary people who have overcome physical challenges in our lives, trying to make a difference in the lives of our brothers and sisters facing a physical challenge. We are visible role models for others, showing what average middle-aged people can achieve following an injury or illness and supporting HealthSouth in their mission to help patients regain their lives.

Like countless other volunteers who work for the betterment of others, our needs are modest. Amputees Across America is a nationwide organization as an activity of the Alabama Association for the Physically Challenged, a 501 (C3) non-profit organization. Our ride relies heavily on the donations of many to help defray our travel expenses. All contributions are used for rider lodging costs and the cost of gas. As we are all volunteers, there are minimal organizational costs.

I am therefore asking that you support me in my endeavor to make this journey so that I can make a difference in the lives of others.

You can read the riders bios and itinerary at www.amputeesacrossamerica.com. If we will be passing through your area please come out and visit with us.

Thanking you in advance for your generous contribution.

Please make your checks out to: Amputees Across America and ref my name on your check. Please return to me at:

7301 Bangor Ave NW

Albuquerque, NM 87120

Also Adaptlabs has graciously offered to donate 20% of all orders of Adaptskin when Amputees Across America is mentioned.

Way to Go Abel!!!

I was the first female rider to do the cross-country trek as a member of the 2004 Amputees Across America ride. It was an amazing adventure. Nothing is better than seeing our fantastic country from the seat of a bicycle. But, the most special part of the whole trip, for me, was visiting the kids in all of the Shriners Hospitals we stopped at. Those kids were an inspiration to me, and I thought that I was the one who was supposed to be me inspiring others. That experience was just pure magic.

I also got to do my first ever, and so far only, skydive! That was really something I never thought I would do, but I did and glad of it. I even opened my eyes and looked around as I was falling like a rock through the sky.

I hope you have a very safe, enjoyable, and satisfying ride. One thing is for certain, it was something I will never forget and I'm sure you won't forget it either.

Have a great ride!

Linda Holt

Belmont, North Carolina

http://www.amputeesacrossamerica.org/aaa2004/index2004.htm

Hi Linda. Thanks for your well wishes and I am really looking forward to the ride. I am a little jealous of your ride through the Rockies. I was just looking at a video of your ride and those mountains were sure beautiful. Although our route will be flatter and easier for us older guys. I am still undecided about the jump though. I am also looking forward to meeting many inspirational people on this journey.

Thank you again and you are definitely an inspiration to me.

Abel

Way to Go Abel!!!

I was the first female rider to do the cross-country trek as a member of the 2004 Amputees Across America ride. It was an amazing adventure. Nothing is better than seeing our fantastic country from the seat of a bicycle. But, the most special part of the whole trip, for me, was visiting the kids in all of the Shriners Hospitals we stopped at. Those kids were an inspiration to me, and I thought that I was the one who was supposed to be me inspiring others. That experience was just pure magic.

I also got to do my first ever, and so far only, skydive! That was really something I never thought I would do, but I did and glad of it. I even opened my eyes and looked around as I was falling like a rock through the sky.

I hope you have a very safe, enjoyable, and satisfying ride. One thing is for certain, it was something I will never forget and I'm sure you won't forget it either.

Have a great ride!

Linda Holt

Belmont, North Carolina

Hi Linda. Thanks for your well wishes and I am really looking forward to the ride. I am a little jealous of your ride through the Rockies. I was just looking at a video of your ride and those mountains were sure beautiful. Although our route will be flatter and easier for us older guys. I am still undecided about the jump though. I am also looking forward to meeting many inspirational people on this journey.

Thank you again and you are definitely an inspiration to me.

Abel

Way to Go Abel!!!

Have a great ride!

Linda Holt

Belmont, North Carolina

Come on Abel, you see the mountains all the time, LOL! You should do well having become used to riding at this altitude! Hope to see you guys on the 10th!