Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
hash

leg problems

I got my first leg last September and since then have had 4 more. The main problem is fit one day it is too big next day it wont go on any ideas thanks

Is your stump swelling Hash?

Cat

Yes I think it might be swelling to the point where you cant fit it. How long have you waited to put your leg on?

Lesley

My prosthetist is confused because of the ammount of variation in my leg from day to day the base of my stump went from 38cm to 34 cm in about 2 weeks so he made me a new leg but when i tried to fit it my leg was about 39cm so he made another, new size this was like wearing a pair of shoes 5 sizes too big,then he made the leg i have now but this is about 2 sizes too big and I am getting it altered on tuesday but on thursday all the bolts came loose and as a result I can't wear it at the moment. By the way its an above knee. The consultant is about as much use as a chocolat fireguard because unless your stump is full of sores he just says its nothing medical. :(

Hey Hash,

I have a RBK and mine changes size throughout the day - if its hot, cold, if I'm inactive or jumping about the place!! It is a pain but I'm used to it now. ;)

I usually add or remove socks accordingly. When I got fitted for my water leg - it had a suction liner and was an exact fit - BUT when I had an appointment to collect it - about 3 - 4 weeks later - I had shrunk (plus I'd lost a bit of weight!) The water leg wouldn't fit - it was too big and you can't wear socks with the suction liner - so I had to have a new one made - no liner - just a sock and a sort of tubi grip cover for the knee part - but its great! :D

Have a chat to your prothetist - and I'm sure you'll also get some advice here too.

Good luck,

Sue - Cardiff - UK :unsure:

Sorry to hear of your woes Chris. I hope your CP can get you sorted soon.

What type of leg is yours? (i.e liner, pin, suction). I am RAK and wear a suction socket. The fit can vary a lot depending on how well you pull into the socket. If you pull in too well it can be too tight and vice versa :rolleyes: (this all being on the same day with same leg volume).

Perhaps you would need to try the 'different number of socks' solution if your volume changes a lot. Do you have the option of asking for another CP in your limb center?

HI THERE

I CAN SYMPATHIZE WITH YOU I AM ON MY 9TH SOCKET IN JUST OVER TWO YEARS. ITS AN ABSOLUTE PAIN. I HAVE THE PIN SYSTEM SOME MORNINGS IT GOES ON EASILY AND OTHERS ITS LIKE HAVING TO USE A BLOCK AND TACKLE. SOME DAYS ITS OK AND OTHERS I HAVE TO DON TWO SOCKS, IN FACT I ALWAYS CARRY EXTRA SOCKS WITH ME. I AM GETTING MY NINTH ONE THIS WEEK AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE THE LAST........HMMMMM LETS HOPE

CHEERS JENNY FROM SOUTH AFRICA

Got my leg fixed again today, am keeping my fingers crossed :P (thats a joke). I wouldn't mind if I didn't know better but I do, my first leg was great, until it got too big, but now it's one problem after the other I seem to spend more time in the clinic getting it fixed than actually wearing it.

Hi all,

An opinion:

I think it is good to choose the time of a day when to do casting for a new socket. The stump generally changes from greater to lesser from the morning towards the evening and that is because of activity it gets. During sleeping hours there is no activity. The air temperature also affects the volume, but I believe the effect is lesser than the effect due to activity. At least this is my experience.

Why not trying to get the socket casting done AM hours. At least the socket would be less likely to be too tight to wear. The extra socket size when the stump is at the shrinked state can be dealt with by adding more filler socks as Sue Taylor says.

Kind regards,

Jukka

I have the same problem Lauren.

Cat

Guest lyinhart

Hi, I'm new to the forum.... I've only gone through two legs....my intermediate and now my permenent..... I'm always changing stump size...... I suffer from CHF (Congestive Heart Failure) which ia a condition of the heart that causes fluid build-up first in the lungs and then consiquently in the lower limbs. Being that my left leg terminates sooner now, it swells before my "good" leg. If, for some reason, I don't take my prescribed "Water Pills" my leg and stump swell so much it takes (sometimes) an hour or more to get deep enough into the socket for my pin to catch and hold. If you're fluctuating so much, I'd see if you can have water pills prescribed (although it means frequent runs to the loo) so you wake up with a smaller stump.

Hi Lyin and welcome to our family,

That's not a bad idea

Cat