Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sheila

Looking at pictures......

I was just curious as to how others would answer this Q.

I know when I first came home, after the amputation, I could not look back at pics of me prior to the surgery, guess it just hurt to much at the particular time. Wondering, has anyone else experienced any thing like this or similiar??

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Live your life showing kindness to others, in one world, we're all sisters and brothers.

Not many pics of me with my foot as I was 5 when it was taken off.

Don't mind looking at them but they just look weird.

Cat

I've never thought of myself as very photogenic, but find it more difficult seeing pictures made now of me. :ph34r: I always critique each photo by saying to myself how another angle or cropping could have produced a better picture.

Kep B)

Yep, it did bother me and still does to some extent, Sheila. The one that bothered me the most was the pictures of my girlfriends and me in our Country Western get ups at the classes we used to take. Of course we were showing our gams off, taboot. Another thing that bothered me was the first days home after surgery and I had to face myself in a full length mirror that was on our bathroom door. As far as I was concerned there was a mutilated person in front of it. Now, I use it to gage that the packaging of myself is up to what it once was. I use the mirror now mkore than I ever did in my life before the amputation, but I want what goes out the door to look as much as anyone else as possible. Goofy things that can bother one when their body has been altered some way. I think in time acceptance of our new physique becomes easier. Also, I don't have dreams with myself in them anymore, either. I've even tried to dream about myself doing something, but I can't envision myself in dream mode. The last dream I had of myself was in a storm, my crutches had been blown from under me and I was tumbling around like tumbleweed, but couldn't get my footing. Boy was that spooky--after the past couple weeks in Florida weather, I know we won't retire there. That stupid dream might come true. Just joking, but we won't move there, anyway.

Carole

It does not bother me whether old or new photo. Maybe because I am a man, the problem addressed here perhaps affects more the female gender. I do not like to look at photos taken of myself anyway and not like to look at the mirror either. It disgusts me what I see.

I try to control all photography and been quite successful. So there are not much other photos but passport photos of myself.

I enjoy more looking seeing photos taken of my beautiful family and some other people.

Ships and boats are also the photos I like.

Jukka