Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Wendy

For Showers andSwimmers

Cooooooooooooooool

Thanx for that Wendy,

Cat

That is soooo cool, Wendy. I have to show my husband because we were dicussing showering for me when we try to get back to camping next summer. It was perplexing how I'd do it because the prosthetic can't get wet; since floors generally get wet, crutches could be dangerous and I really didn't want to have to go into the shower in a wheel chair. Thank you for sharing this info with us.

Carole

Hi,

I have seen this shower cover before.

I cannot imagine myself of having my leg on whilst showering or swimming though. Hence, would not buy it. I prefer to hop to shower or swimming pool. I have a stool in the bathroom to sit. If away from home, a hotel room etc., I just hop as usual and get around things using my imagination and the best I can.

My leg is also made to my requirements of being waterproof so that outdoor wet weather does not affect me.

Jukka

:D Sorry to be a party pooper but I would not use this either. I'm a Bi-Lat BK and have to take my trousers off once I have taken the legs off. I wouldn't therefore put the legs back on to have a shower.

But I do apprecite the information, it's great to know what's out there.

Thanks Wendy for the posting though.

Mike

what do u mean ur leg is made water resistant per your requirements???

also has anyone tried the leg cover in the site?

i am dying to get back in the ocean and any advice for ocean or any swimming with leg on would be great help

thank u so much

sue

Yes--I've tried the leg cover, but wasn't hugely impressed with it. First of all, it may work better for others than it did for me--at $65.00 it's a relatively cheap possible solution to "the water problem." Fit was a problem for me--there are not a lot of different sizes made and when I got one that fit my thigh well, it was way oversized for my lower leg--the thigh has to fit because that's where the vacuum seal has to be made to prevent leakage. So, overall it was kind of floppy looking. I was never too impressed by the quality of that vacuum seal--you can't really tell if it's leaking until it's too late. I wouldn't use the cover with a "good" leg--if you have an older "spare" it might be a different story. Also, the vacuum and the tight seal around the thigh may not be advisable for those with poor circulation. The manufacturer warns against wearing the cover for more than a certain time ( I can't remember what it was--30 minutes perhaps?) for this reason.

I use one of these (and have actually had my beach activity leg condemed, as this is sooooo much better and i no longer have a need for it!)

http://www.zerosox.com/

The good thing about these kind of covers is that you can wear your everyday leg, rather than an uncomfortable beach activity leg, which you perhaps have not worn for 6-months.

I swim & shower with a zerosox and find it 100% successful. I dont think they do a version long enough for an AK unfotunately.

Scott

:ph34r:

Answer to question on water proofing:

I would attach an instant picture of my leg if I had a digital camera, but unfortunately I do not have.

My leg looks like an exosceletal leg, but it is not. Instead of having the cosmesis made of foam and nylon sock or other type of cosmetic cover, I asked my prosthetist to make a laminate shell. The laminate shell was shaped by taking a mirror image of my sound leg by casting. The joints at the bottom (the foot) and the top (the socket) are sealed. However the sealing at the bottom end does not work perfectly as there is more movement at that end, but if I go to places where I probably get sink my leg into water, I use skin coloured duct tape strip as a further sealing.

My socket is also a laminated one and initially made to same skin colour as the cover shell. I recently painted the whole leg with skintone acrylic paint as I do get knocks on my leg from outdoor activities that leave variously coloured marks on it. I usually go for cycling and sailing on weekends, from my bicycle I get black marks and when we go to the boat with a tiny dinghy in which activity I also get marks sometimes. I buy the acrylic paint in small bottles from an art & craft shop.

Needless to say, but my prothetist is very accommodating, I think I was the first one with such request. He is also very professional, every socket (my third one now) he has made to me was fit & comfortable from a first try. Now he is making me a pegleg that I am going to use on a sailing boat as I think it is more manouevrable on a boat.

I have used PTB socket all the while and felt good with it.

I believe this design can be further improved by choise of the waterproofing/ sealing method at the bottom end by using some elastic material on the surface of the joint instead of between.

I trust that abovementioned gave an answer to the question.

Kind regards,

Jukka

I use one of these (and have actually had my beach activity leg condemed, as this is sooooo much better and i no longer have a need for it!)

The good thing about these kind of covers is that you can wear your everyday leg, rather than an uncomfortable beach activity leg, which you perhaps have not worn for 6-months.

I swim & shower with a zerosox and find it 100% successful. I dont think they do a version long enough for an AK unfotunately.

Scott

Hi Scott, I heard about that one and I think over here in the US it's called dry pro. My friend just got one and she's really happy about it. For the US, their website is www.drycorp.com.

Have a great weekend,

Katie

Scott

Hi Scott, I heard about that one and I think over here in the US it's called dry pro. My friend just got one and she's really happy about it. For the US, their website is www.drycorp.com.

Have a great weekend,

Katie

Hello Katie

I use the 'Dry Pro" to take my showers and it works great.