Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Mike L

Hi I am a new member

Hi,

I'm Mike L from New Hampshire. I have recently had a right BK and in 4 weeks or so will have a Symes amputation of my left foot. These are the results of a bad experience with frostbite.

All in all I am doing well and became encouraged once I received my first prothesis for the right side. I feel confident I will return to the activities I enjoy, but am experencing some aprehension about the Symes procedure that my surgeon seems to favor.

If anyone has a desire to say hi or some experience with Symes amputation I would love to hear from you.

Thank you Mike from New Hampshire

Welcom Mike,

I hope everything goes well for you. My daughter Niki is rbk , This site has been wonderful for all involved . You must keep intouch , and ask all the questions you want.

Vicki Williams Australia. :D

Hi Mike and welcome to the forum. I was born without my right foot and was a symes amputee. I would not recomond it because of the length of the residual limb makes it hard to get the high tech components. Even though you are a rbk you can't add height because you would be off balance.. I would have him amputate up further on your calf. You should do fine and I think you would have much better success being a DBK rather than a bk and a symes.

Keep us posted.

Brenda

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest that you get a second opinion from a surgeon that is experienced with leg amputation. Also a rehab doctor would be a good doctor to consult. If you aren't in a life-threatening situation, take your time in making a decision. The more information that you can collect, the better you will feel about making your decision. If it were me having to make that kind of decision, I would be trying to find out everything that I could, in order to live with whatever decision that I had to make.

Wishing you my best regards: