Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Tint

New Boy

Hello everyone, hope you are all feeling ok. Im new to your gang and thought I would introduce myself. I am a left above knee amputee following a motorbike accident in April this year. I am coping with it quite well (although i cried like a baby for the first 2 days) and am trying not to see anything as a limitation but more of a challenge. Rode a mountain bike for the first time today, was v daunting at first but worth it. Everyone has been great throughout and my friends still take the p out of me, no sympathy there.

The forum is great by the way, i felt a little alone before i found you lot

Anyway i better get to bed as im only a young pup at ..er..29 (and 23months)

Goodnight

x :P

Hi Tint,

Welcome to the forum! Nice to meet you. :D

You say you've ridden a bike and that's around just 5 months post-amputation?? Wow! You should be proud of yourself. That's not a 'walk in the park' by anybody's standards. It's been 14 months post-amp for me and I have yet to ride a proper bike (I've been on bikes at the gym, but I know they're not the same!).

You say: "...am trying not to see anything as a limitation but more of a challenge."

That's exactly the best attitude to have Tint. It will get you far.

This forum will make you realise that you are certainly not alone. We are all/have been in the same boat. So if you've got any questions, fire away. There's usually somebody here that will know the answer for you.

If you don't have any questions, but want to find out more about the different types of prosthetics available to you, then this forum has plenty of information for you. Take a quick look in the Links Forum, where you can find the....er.....links to many useful and informative sites out there.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it here as much as I do! B)

Welcome Tint,

My name is Brian and I am a 27 year old right above-knee amputee since May. I lost my leg to a tumor and infection. I just got my first prosthesis last Thursday and my physical therapy began this past Tuesday. This fourm is a great place for amputees. Congratulations on riding a mountain bike. I hope the rest of your recovery goes just as well. :D

Just had to offer my hello, Tint...biking is one of my favorite things too. I ride at the gym and also on the street with my kids. I am a below knee amputee and have the greatest respect for you above knee people...so much harder in my opinion! You keep having a great attitude and you will find a great life, despite having one leg! Welcome to our little family!

Judy

Utah

LBK

Hiya Tint and welcome to the gang. So glad you enjoyed the bike I love my bike and really need to find the time to get back on it.

Quite understand the bedtime as I'm only a youngster myself.......errr......well I wish I was lol.

Hope you find a home here just like I did.

Cat

Hope you were wearing your protective gear! Welcome to the forum, glad you found us :)

Hi Tint and welcome...

i'm not an amputee myself but my partner had a below knee amputation 8 weeks ago following a motorcycle accident. I've found support and help here, plus the comments and cheery messages from the members have given us strength to get through this.

When you join this forum, you realise that your not alone and the people here can offer encouragement, support and make you smile

Hope all goes well for you and well done for riding again- thats fantastic in such a short space of time !

annie x

Hiya Tint, glad you found this great forum. Whereabouts in Staffs do you live, I live in Northwich, Cheshire, not so very far away from you. Do you live near Alton Towers? B)

I also had a motorbike accident, in April 1972 (a few too many years ago, for my liking) and I have suffered, on and off for 32 years. In the end the only solution to get rid of pain and infection is an amputation, I have been waiting since April this year to go in for my op, because it is an elective amputation I am on the never ending waiting list.

Your attitude is a great one to have and I hope I can follow in your footsteps, I just get a bit fed up sometimes with all the waiting. :blink:

Keep positive. :)

Love from

Hi Tint,

I just wanted to add my welcome to our forum family. As you can see there are so many wonderful people here to welcome you and hopefully help you with any questions you might have. Great on the mountain biking! With your positive attitude you'll be able to do everything you set your mind to. HMMMMMM you're still a young un (I'm almost 40 ugh..) Pull up your comfy chair and enjoy your stay.

Well.. i wouldnt go so far as to call me normal!

I live in Cheadle Staffs Pam not too far from you, about 3-4 miles from Alton Towers (great landmark innit everyone knows Alton Towers. We are all children at heart)

Said to myself that I would never ride a motorbike again, then realised that im not quite ready for my pipe and slippers (or slipper should i say) just yet so im off to Donnington amp track day on monday to see how they have converted their bikes and try to pinch some ideas

thanks for being so welcoming everyone

Martin :D

x

Hi Tint, little slow in catching up, :D but I'd also like to say, welcome to our little corner of the world, where the door is always open, for all to come in. Everyone here is very friendly and enjoys sharing and caring for one another. That is soooo great to hear such a possitive attitude and that you're riding your motorbike. It's things like that which give us the confindence, to know any challenge is possible to achieve! :D Great job and keep up the good work!! Sit back, relax and join in when you have the time. You know, I'm not such a youngin anymore, but I ususally go by the saying, "you're only as young as you feel", and tonight, it's time for me to turn out the lights!!! :P :D :lol:

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Live for today and let tomorrow be, for the future is not ours to see.

would have come to say hello but you havnt got your picture up. look out for me ill be wearing a nice floral pink dress, or maybe just a pair of scruffy jeans and t shirt :D

Hi Tint...I am so happy to read that you are riding a bike! That's wonderful progress considering the duration since your amputation. Your story touched me, no sympathy here, just wanted you to know that your story caught my eye and tugged at my heart a little bit! :D

I am 25, an AKA, and new to this forum, but I would absolutely love to correspond with you anytime you'd like! I work fulltime and attend college full time, but I will make time to reply as often as I can.

Take care and good luck with that bike, I still remember the first time I took off on mine!!! Very exciting...now I am more into ATV's...but I still get my bike out now and then.... ;)

Hi Tint,

Lost mine below knee following a bike accident. Given up biking now and have just bought a Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4 with the reasoning that if the myopic/brain dead Mondeo drivers fail to see me in this, they'll at least be in for a nasty shock when they hit me.

If anyone's offended by the Mondeo comment, don't be. Both myself and my girlfriend used to drive Mondeos, we just didn't mow anyone down :)

Hi Tint, well glad to hear about the pipe and slippers not coming out!

A few yrs ago afriend of mine after a not serious accident got rid of his Z650 and bought an Allegro Vanden Plas :rolleyes:, and to make matters worse he even started smoking a pipe and wearing a flat cap. (we were 19 at the time). Talk about being old before your time!!

Anyway, good luck mate

keith

hi tint just wanted to welcome you .but talking about allegros makes me feel old my mum used to pick me up from the local niteclub at 12.00 no later in her allegro i was 16 at the time.

Hi Tint and welcome.

I'm a RBK since 5th November 2003. Never ridden a bike - but love them anyway.

I live in Cardiff and am mum to 2 lively young boys (9 and 7). I'm 35 yrs old and had an accident with a wall in October 2003. :(

Sue - Cardiff - UK :rolleyes:

Hello.

Sounds like you are doing fine. I have only ridden motorcycles a couple of times...and never drove...I have been a parapelegic all of my life...and well never really got into bikes. Then one day around 22 or so...I decided I would like to drive a trike. So someday when I'm a big shot attorney or judge (going to school now) I will be cruising to court with the wind in my hair and my trike. I live in Phoenix Arizona so there are many WAAAAAAAY beautiful bike days.

I'll try to do better with keeping up...welcome

:rolleyes: (LC)

Thanks everyone

Lady C i bet you will be the next judge judy. i'll look out for you on TV

Pheonix Arizona eh, we get nice weather over here too you know (nice if you are a duck that is) :)