Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tint

Slippery slope

Hi all,

does anyone else have problems with walking down slopes. Im finding it a bit of a pain as my as my knee doesnt always unlock when i take a step (Ossur total knee). My driveway is very steep so i have to walk down one every day. Is it a characteristic of this particular knee or usual for AKAs?

Hi Tint,

I'm below knee and fairly new to it all but I have more trouble walking downhill. I get pains in the knee and my prosthetic foot feels like its trying to pitch me forward.

I am a bk also, and dont know enough to comment to an AK but I actually enjoy slopes now, downhill at least. Uphill is still hard, my hamstring muscles are very weak...working on it... ;)

But once I switched to my renegade foot I noticed a huge difference in downhill slopes, they are very easy now...dont know if it might be related to the kind of foot?...

Also I have been researching, for hiking purposes, and have found a lot of great info on "trek poles". They are poles that even able bodied hikers use to hike with...beyond the whittled down walking stick. They have hand grips and straps that loop around your wrist. They are supposed to really help everyone, able bodied and disabled, with distributing weight better with each step and relieving stress on the joints. Maybe you could use one in every day life...as you would a cane but not to lean on it as much as to take stress off the joints?...does that make sense? I think there is a site called "trekpoles.com"...I hunted around using "trek poles" in the search engine and found it. Good info on how to use one even....hope this helps! :ph34r:

judy

utah

lbk

Hi Muz, (sorry Tint, just need to step into your post for a sec )

As you know, i also wear the IC40. It sounds as if the heal height is not correct. The heal of your shoe is higher than the distance from the floor to the top of the back part of the foot. :ph34r: (Ten points to anyone who could make sense of that ..hehehe! I hope you did! ) causing your knee to snap forwards, straining it ...which is very bad on the long term. Ask me, i know about knees, sheeesh!

You need to get that checked with your prosthesist...

Its normal, for all prosthesis to not be 'going-down-hill-user-friendly' due to most of them them being set at the ankle. When it's extremely steep i go down sideways ... like you place skis going down a slope (the chickening out way) :lol:

PS ..Muz, if any questions please PM me as i feel very rude butting in on here .... B)

Hi Tint

I am bilateral b/k, so not sure how how it is for a/k's. but generally yes, downhill slopes are always a bit tricky. Like Kaz says, on a steep slope I usually also go sideways, it seems sort of a natural thing for me to do.

Has anybody else noticed the raised concrete dots they are putting on pavement crossing points in the UK (in my area anywhere), I find these quite difficult to negotiate, we seem to have them every 10 -20 yards in our town now.

Ann

Steep hills have always been a problem for me. I think your knee locking might be due to the type of knee. My knee auto-locks when all my weight is bearing down on it and unlocks when I swing it through. Its very light though so if you are not familiar with it, it can sometimes buckle under you (say, if you don't stand properly).

I know some of these knees can have their locking 'degree' tweaked. Perhaps you should speak to your CP and see whether they can lighten it a bit?

Alternatively you can walk down steep slopes sideways like me :P

Ann, i hate those dots too. I thought it was just me. When i have to use my crutches especially it is difficult to put them down without wobbling. I understand the need for them for the blind so i don't suppose there is an alternative to them.

A case of "you cannot please everybody all of the time".

Hi Tint, i'm a right AK and i understand your prob of knee not unlocking. For me. i just push off with the right bodyweight slightly forward, forcing the knee to unlock, but in this phase, the knee collapses very fast, so the left leg must come out fast to catch it. So it looks like i'm going downslope in a fast manner. But if the slope s real steep, its sideways for me. Right followed by left.