Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Gizmo

Would you do it..???

..having a beauty operation??? Have your nose, lips, breasts, behind or whatever "remodelled?" Or getting rid of "spare tyres" or wrinkles? Since the opening of the iron curtain many people go over to Hungary or the Czech Republic to have it done there, since it is a lot cheaper than in the west.

Or do you believe one should accept oneself the way you are without any artificial modifications applied?

Do you despise people like Cher or Melanie Griffith?Or would you do it, too, to up to a certain extent if you had the financial means?

Regards,

Gizmo

No way could i even think about putting myself through the pain and trauma of more ops just for cosmetic reasons, i've had enough thank you. If it was re-contructive after say breast cancer then i would think seriously about it but not for any other reason.

Anyway, i'm lovely enough, honestly, ask my hubby. Hold on i will just have to put my carving knife down while i watch him type his answer.

"Yes, Lesley is absolutely gorgeous just as she is".

See i told you :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Good Question, I suppose I could do with a face lift, a hair transplant and lasik surgery. But two things prevent me from doing it, one I hate pain and suffering, two I hate parting with money for no real cause.

But in answer to the question I wouldnt judge anyone for doing it, I just wouldnt.

Did anyone see "extreme makeover"where it showed the flip side, they had some lady on there who reacted badly and was in serious pain for months. She said she wouldnt have done it if she had known how it would be.

There is only one cosmetic surgery I would opt for...and it is purely cosmetic.

This is kinda personal...so if you don't want to know...DON"T READ

I have one labia, that was tramatized when I fell off the school bus in Jr. High. The trauma caused major swelling in my Female region and as a result one labia is extremely distorted (larger than other). The surgery is $5,000 (us) and is well out of my price range...but if I could afford it I would have the surgery.

As far as looking like Melanie Griffith or someone...I am not interested...I am a beautiful girl as is, even with the distorted labia. But the surgery would make me feel sexier.

:blink:

Since my amputation I had a few revision op's on my stump, done by plastic surgions, skin grafts actually.

Those times I stayed in the hospital ward to recover with several other patients, who got plastic surgery as well.

Some of them a -we call it- "fat skirt", a large skin fold at the belly after a very fat person looses weight.

Some got larger or smaller breasts corrections, or had removed wrinkles they didn't like at other parts of theyr body.

The intention of my operation was to be able to walk again with a prosthesis and I must say that the difference of purpose: to get more attractive, or to get walking again made me feel rather out-of-place there.

Not so that I want to judge the persons who were there to alter their apearances, but I sure found theyr problems less interesting and less urgent than mine at that moment and theyr stories and complaints sometimes pathetic.

The difference of interest didn't do well for the athmosphere on the ward, it wasn't always very cosy.

From that time on I must admit that I have mixed feelings about many cases of cosmetic correction surgery.

Hi all,

Well, I think each to their own - whatever floats your boat!! ;)

Not for me - but never say never! :rolleyes:

Sue - Cardiff - UK

Hey Gizmo, I sure don't "despise" people for getting it done but some go overboard and I think that's just silly, especially when they deny having had it done.

If I had the finances and life was a little different........yep absolutely I'd have some work done.

Cat

Nope, I don't despise anyone for doing what makes them feel good about their bodies, rather it be to enhance their image, build up their self-esteem, or their breast, I say go for it!!! :P :lol: Nor do I think one has to accept themselves as they are, at least on the outside. Because I feel it's from within, that really tells the story. Only it's NOT on my 'to do list' now and never has been! 1) I don't have that kind of money to toss away, even if I did, I'm sure I could find a better use for it, other than being cut up. :ph34r: I just happen to think somethings are better off left alone. Truth is, some go over board and end up looking, IMPO, like they belong in a wax museum. :blink: But I guess so long as they feel good about themselves, that's what really matters. :rolleyes: If it was for medical reasons, such as burns, etc, of course, without any second thoughts.

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

We all get older, but how old you get, depends on you.

Two words: MICHAEL JACKSON

Granted, that's pretty extreme and more indicative of mental illness than anything else. Personally, I don't have a huge issue with a bit of cosmetic surgery, other than it being surgery and I've had more of those than I care to already. I'd have it if I really needed it, which is to say if I ever find myself needing liposuction, I'd go for it. I'd certainly not get a nose job or implants of any kind, but I have no problem with those who choose to do so within the limits of reason.

If you really want to take cosmetic surgery to the extreme then what better example than "wannabees". Surely it's better to sort out what's wrong inside than hack chunks off your body.

Still, if you can afford it who am I to say don't do it.

No way. I'm not awful looking (if I do say so myself) and as such would rather remain who I am than try to become something I'm not. If I felt there was a massive improvement to be made, then perhaps I would do it, but as is, I think I'm doing okay.

Hiyya Giz gurl , to ansewer your queustion , NO , i am very happy with the way i am now . I suppose that if it was like this waaaaay serious thingie like getting burned or breast reconstruction or something like that ya , i probobalaly would . I have been waay lucky in that i am 30 years old now but i look much younger as go many others here i'm sure . If it was just to do it for the sake of doing for somee samll cosmentic reasin thingie , NO WAY . I HATE hospitals and Drs. However , havcing sadied that , i did thinked aboput doing that about mayvber a yeare and a half ago to cover up the ugly scras on my leg from the injury . Going forwards to today , glad i didn;'t doned it .

HI

Well cosmetic surgery is a debatable subject but after having 15 ops to my amputated limb there is no ways in a million years that I would ever go for platic surgery. Why would anyone want to put themselves through the aneasthetic and under the knife if it wasnt necessary. Why would any sane person want to go through all the pain and suffering just for vanity!!!!!!!!!!!

An amputation would cure anyone of wanting to mess around with what they were born with,

Regards,

Jenny South Africa

With your reply you phrased excactly my opinion about this subject, Jenny!

Thirty years ago, after my accident, I was sent to a plastic surgey hospital for skin grafting on my leg (this was for health reasons, not cosmetic).. In the same ward as myself (it was one of the old type of hospitals probably ex army barracks) there were many different cases, ranging from burns, cancers, deformities, all requiring very serious plastic surgery, but then there were also private patients requiring removal of crows feet, etc. I was 20 years old at the time and thought I'd been sent to hell, I cried for my mum to take me home with her, the things I saw would give you nightmares, but I believe this experience made me a better person.

How those vain people could lie in bed alongside the unrecognisable people, who had to have many very painful operations, I just don't know, and I always vowed I would never ever have cosmetic surgery. Reconstruction does not come into this catagory.

I watch all these programmes on TV, Nip Tuck, etc and they just do not show what pain and suffereing some people have to endure, especially the ones through necessity.

I'm 51 now, with a few wrinkles, oh no there not, sorry, there laughter lines :P :P :P and thats just what they are going to stay.

From an old wrinkly :)