Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
mia

Travelling in USA

Hi,

me and my family are going to travel to USA next week. I have a prosthesis (ak) so I think I should rent a wheelchair there, eventhough I´ve never used that at home. Does anyone know where to rent wheelchair in Los Angeles and what that might cost for me..?? Does anyone have any experiences of travelling in USA? All information are wellcome,

Mia

Mia, I really dont know where you can rent a wheelchair in LA but hopefully someone around here does. My gut feeling would be that you wouldnt need a wheelchair here, if you dont need one at home, but I am new BK so dont know from experience about AKs. Any AKs around here who could offer some advice?

I hope you get some good answers and mainly wanted to say "Have a great time in the US!....we will be happy to have you come see us!" :D

Judy

Lbk

Utah

Hello Judy!

Nice to have at least one answer here :)

I live in Finland and I can only imagine the long distances you have there from place to another place and that´s why I thought the wheelchair might be a good idea to avoid troubles with prosthesis. We´re going to be there over 2 weeks, and I hope I can use prosthesis every day.

Do you have any problems by walking in a big cities (to cross the roads fast etc.)? I´m so used to use my own car here to all shopping etc things, but I know we can´t use our own car in a big cities there. Good to hear of you,

Mia

Hi Mia this time last year I was in LA and your right we did TONS of walking, but we didn't have a car and spent most of the time on public transport(which was excellent by the way). I don't remember seeing wheelchairs for hire though. Have a great trip. Try and make sure you head out along the beaches they are fantastic.

Cat

Hi Mia,

Hope I am not too late in posting this.

There are several medical supply places that rent wheelchairs. Also, some pharmacies rent them. My brother-in-law is a pharmacist and can give me recommendations, or I can look some names up for you. Drop me a PM or just let me know where you will be. L.A. is a pretty big place, so it would help to know the general area where you would like to rent the chair.

If you are used to getting around without a chair, you probably won't need it just getting around town. If you are going to specific attractions (like Disneyland), they rent chairs by the day there.

Again, please let me know where you will be and what you plan to do. I live in the L.A. area.

One last question: will you have a car?

By the way, the weather will be gorgeous next weekend. Expected temps around 18-21 C. But the nights are getting a little cool, so bring a sweater.

Maryl

Mia...another thought for you....we have a lot of laws in the US as far as handicapped accessibility. I think you may be surprised that people will not be, how do I say it?....alarmed (?) by your 'disability' and allow you the time you need. Dont feel like you will "have to" rush across streets and such. Take your time....and DO use public transporation, pretty easy to navigate in big cities like LA, should have maps everywhere.....if you take your time I think you may find you can walk to most of the things you want to see, or find a way to get there on public transport.....

have a great time! :P

Judy

LBK

Utah

Hello Mia,

Contact the hotel that you will be staying at, tell them about your special needs including a shower stool for your room, and let them look into it for you. The airlines can take care of you while you are traveling with them. So see about letting the hotel take care of your needs while you are staying with them. It shouldn't be a problem since all the hotel is doing is finding someone that you can do buisness with.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip.

Regards,

Thank you for your advices, to all of you! I got some support of those answers.

Maryl, since we´re leaving after 5 hours from now (it is 10 PM here) we haven´t time enough for more e-mails. Thank you anyway!

Yes, we´re going to rent a car, and we are going to Disneyland too in the beginning of our trip, so I might rent a wheelchair there, eventhough it would have been nice to keep it along all the way just in case.

I´ll send e-mail when I´m back at home again and let you hear about my experiences! Thank you for encouraging words,

Mia

Guest lyinhart

Hi Mia, I live in central California (USA) If you have no problems at home with your prosthesis.... you should have no problem here. For those few times you feel you need one contact an outfit calls "Advantacare" in whatever major and some smaller cities you happen to be in. But, for the most part, if in a grocery or super market, most have free electric mobility scooters to use free while shopping. Also, many large parks and amusement parks have wheelchairs available for free use or for rent. Also, we have a federal law here called the "ADA" (an acronym for "American's with Disabilities Act") which has made a very large number of public places and businesses easily accessable for all of us weather with a prosthetic or in a chair.

Good Luck, Safe trip, and have fun

Richard

I had the experience of two trips in a very short time. I took my wheelchair with me both times. The airlines were wonderful for loading and unloading. Bulk head seats are the best for location. The security people were the PROBLEM...They had to do hands on pat down....not nice! I quickly learned to hop through the little security gate without any shoe on! Have somebody on the other side with their hands out to grab ahold of as soon as you hop through.

Hope this helps others.