Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Dwayne

Hello from Florida

Hello all!

I am a 34 (soon to be 35) year old LEFT BK amputee living in sunny central Florida!

I had my amputation in June of 2002 due to a complication from Diabetes.

I am on my 2nd leg now and things are starting to finaly get back to normal. I am going through therapy and will be entering the job market again some time this summer.

Is anyone else from the Florida area?

Dwayne,

Welcome to this forum. I am also from sunny Central Florida. I am 35 almost 36 in fact less then a month to go and I am a RBK.

I'm on Yahoo peggie_leigh67 if you want to chat sometime.

Brenda

Hey fellow central Floridians! I am a new (3/03) right BK, due to cancer. I have had my new leg for 6 weeks. It is taking some adjustment, but I am getting around well. Still going to physical therapy, trying to build back the muscles lost (amazing how quick they go and how slow they return!). I have my moments and frustrations, but my attitude is great - I feel blessed to be alive!!!

hi i am sarah i also am aright bka i am new to this site but have been reading everyones thoughts for along time.i live in france even though i am english.i felt very isolated for a long time as there is no support groups here .also my french is not up to much .i went through depression for two years.no confidence not feeling pretty did my husbandstay with me for me or out of pity..now i feel alot better and am accepting me for who i am .

Hey Deb,

Welcome to the boards!!

Where in Florida do you go to therapy??

I'm going to the Olympic Training Center in Lake County! What a great facility!!

Just hang in there things will get better! I had my amputation a year ago (6/02) and I

just started playing softball again in a Leesburg Coed league!

Hi Dwayne

Welcome...I am a LBK and am 45 years old currently living in Belgrade Serbia and Montenegro..(not near Florida sadly). I am however from the UK but hated the weather so moved here :)

Good to hear you are up and about and good luck when you start to look for work.

Robert

Hey Dwayne!

Thanks for the reply! I go to ORMC outpatient for rehab in Orlando. They are wonderful folks - actually everyone has been wonderful.

Sounds like you are doing great! How wonderful that you are back to playing softball. I had my bike tuned-up in anticipation of riding again soon. I am using a stationary bike at rehab, but don't want to get on my bike until I have someone there to "spot" me. I can't wait to be more active!

Since you are going to the olympic training center, I have to ask... Are you training for the olympics? I bet their facilities are awesome!

Hi Deb,

Just curious who made your prosthetic? I am currently getting a leg made from a guy in orlando.

Brenda

Hey Sarah!

I, too, have read a lot of thoughts on the website (actually, I wanted to reply many times, but kept forgetting my sign on - I blame it on the chemo!). I am glad you are accepting yourself for who you are. Being an amputee does not change who you were before, it just gives you a reason to look at yourself differently. Choosing to look at yourself in a positive way certainly helps with the process of getting on with life. Keep smiling and thinking positive!

:D

Hey Dwayne!

Thanks for the reply!  I go to ORMC outpatient for rehab in Orlando.  They are wonderful folks - actually everyone has been wonderful.

Since you are going to the olympic training center, I have to ask...  Are you training for the olympics?  I bet their facilities are awesome!

Nope not going for the olympics... (at least not yet) :)

Playing softball takes enough out of me and all I'm doing is pitching!!

I've managed to hobble to first with a hit already this year! :blink:

Just beacuse I saw this asked, I had my prosthetic done by ABC Prosthetics.

They have locations around central Florida.

Their web site is

http://www.abcamputee.com/locations.htm

Dwayne,

Sounds like you are doing great! I am looking forward to getting back into some physical activies - most likely biking for a start. I always enjoyed riding to the beach, which was only 3-4 miles one way. After that, who knows, but to quote Brenda "the sky is the limit"!!!!

As to my prothetist, I am using Central Florida Brace, and am very happy with my leg. Looking forward to getting a new socket soon, and eventually, I want a leg I can scuba dive with.

Keep up the good work - go for the home run!!