Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Pat.UK.

Holiday with my Wheelchair.

:rolleyes: Hi can anybody help me please. what I would like to know as anybody been to the Bungalows at Santa Clara at Playa del ingles in Gran Canaria.?We have booked a holiday there after being told it was suitable for someone in a wheelchair.We told the travel agent that my wife would have to use her wheelchair if she needed the bathroom in the night and first thing in the morning because as she is A.K.A. We were told that they would get confirmation that the wheelchair. could go through the bathroom door so far we have had conflicting reports we dont go on holiday till Jun 05 but we would like know if somebody as been there and found the doors O.K.We have told them in the day time it will be O.K. as my wife will have her leg on.Please help if you can.Thanking you and Kind regards John+Pat.

If you are receiving conflicting info then maybe it's best to contact the hotel directly. You can also send them a fax stating you need a room with a certain min door width.

Good luck!

Hi Pat and John,

I have not been to Gran Canary, however in my experience unless the info states suitable for a disabled person, then you might be able to have access to all rooms.

Most advertise as wheelchair accessable, but do not stipulate the size of the wheelchair! I have known of people turning up at 'accessable wheelchair' accomodation to find that yes you can get a wheelchair through the door, but no! not yours because..........etc.

Two apartments and a hotel in Spain that I've had vacations in this year all advertised as 'wheelchair accessable', but I could not get into the bathrooms in any of them!

I'm a RAK, and always wear my prosthesis and take my wheelchair and crutch's.

Thus I have not encountered any probs, I use whatever is needed.

Another prob I had in hotels was trying to get a lift, on one occasion it took 45 mins. (This on change over days)

A point to bear in mind is,'how accessable is the actual accomodation'?

As an example, near where I live a 'High' street bank has had their banking hall re-designed and re-furbished to comply with the DDA. All well a good, only the local council has refused planning permission for an access ramp!!

So advertisers advertise wheelchair accessable, but you may not be able to gain entry!! As a further example, in Spain, Torrevija/Benidorm there are 'disabled ramps' down curbs, but due to the steepness of the incline you cannot use most of them in a wheelchair!

If you are planning a trip anywhere, apart from suitable accommodation, you should also check the surrounding enviroment as regards suitability for wheelchair use!

Where I live is a good example, it's all very steep hills.

Search the net for any sites that are for Brits living where you intend to go, then post any questions regarding your needs. Also go to a travel agent and ask to see their 'report' book regarding accommodation and local enviroment.

Always remember the three 'P':

Plan

Prepare

Participate

I've enjoyed all the vacations I've had since becoming a RAK, without any problems.

Hope this helps

best as.....

Steve

:blink: Hi Steve Thank,s for your advice I think we have got it sorted out now.I contacted Airtours direct and they were very helpfully. So we hope that it will all be O.K. They told me the Door,s were 70Cm wide and that is wide enough for the wheelchair.Thank,s again+Kind regard,s Pat+John.

Pat and John:

I hope your holiday will go well. I would encourage you to ask many many questions before leaving though. Perhaps the following story will point out why:

I am a very agile person in chair and out. Last April after being hit with winter for so long we had ahd it and the only place available was Cuba.

We were assurred that the resort we were going to be staying at was "wheelchair friendly" and that our room was a "wheelchair room".

We arrived in whatever in the evening. It took some time to get to the resort. It was sometime after 11:00pm before we were in the room. Room was ok.

The next am, we were out and about and rapidly discovered that the term "wheelchair friendly" was not necessary the same as we were used to.

Ramps were steep / I never saw a local in a wheelchair anywhere / there was not one washroom suitable for wheelchair use!!!!.

I was ok, as I said, I am very agile BUT I often thought what a person who was "permanently" stuck in wheelchair would do. In Cuba, you can't just get off the island.

I would advise to ask these questions and ensure that what you are used to is truly what is there.

ED

Of ya - Cruise ships are a really good way to go anywhere. All areas are truly accessible / the crews are great / never a problem

ED

:rolleyes: Hi. Eddie.

Thank,s for that advice I have found out since we booked our holiday that John,s sister as been to the site we are going to and she said it was suitable for a wheelchair. So we hope it Will be O.K. Thank,s again Eddie,+ Kind regard,s Pat

To Patricia:

I am glad it seems that you will be ok. I thought additionally to those others who will read this, that I should mention that on Cruise Ships, there are many wheelchair rooms available but you have to reserve them soonest. Otherwise, most cabin doors seem to be somewhere around 24" wide. So unless you are able to get out of a chair and strip iot down - you bug____d!

ED