Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Afet

I CAN HEAR YOOOOOOOOOOUUU.........!

Afet,

Like all the others, I am so thrilled that your implant was a success. The waiting must have been so tough, both waiting for the procedure and then the waiting for the switch-on.

As I wrote to you in an earlier PM, I have been severely hard of hearing since birth, and when the technology finally appeared that would help me hear, it was nothing short of a revalation. The little sounds, like the dog walking or leaves blowing, water boiling and even your husband's snoring, these are all so precious. How wonderful that you have them back again!

Your story inspires me, not solely for the "fight through it and overcome adversity" angle, although that is certainly a big part of it. No, what inspires me is that through it all you never lost your inner goodness, never became hardened, never stopped loving and caring for others. How nice it is that the good people are rewarded too!!!!

So even if we all sound like robots, welcome back to the screeching world. Now you can yell at people to "turn that *$@# down!!!"

Thank you for sharing your wonderful news!

Maryl

:D Unbelievable story, afet! I, too, had tears in my eyes, reading your story! I am SO excited for you and your new lease on life. I am sorry it took me so long to post, have not checked in in awhile....just cant tell you how THRILLED I am for you, and your new HEARING life! Congrats my friend!

Judy

Utah

LBK

Hi, it's me again.

I linked to this thread in a post yesterday, for the benefit of any newcomers who may not have known that I was deaf and had had a cochlear implant.

Well, after receiving a PM (thanks Marcia ;) ), I realised that I never followed up with how it was all going. So, here goes:

I am doing very well. In fact, the implant team at the hospital I go to, say that I'm their "star performer," meaning the results I have had from the implant have been the best that any other recipient has had, so far. :D

As you know, I was 'switched on' in October 2004, and they told me then that my hearing would reach it's peak in around 9 months. However, I had a hearing test back in January 2005. (There were 2 tests. One test was to watch a video of a guy saying sentences, and I had to repeat what he said. The other was with no visuals, meaning that I just heard sentences played on tape, but with no-one to lipread)

I scored 100%!!! :D :rolleyes:

The audiologist said that those results were fantastic, considering that, at that point, I had only had the implant switched on for 3 months. He told me that I was doing really well and that I had probably reached my peak much earlier than anticipated.

My hearing now is as close to 'normal' as it will ever get. Things sound almost the same as they used to, including people's voices. The sound I hear has also stabilised, and doesn't sound at all computerised (ridiculous) now.

I wear the external device all day, every day, except when showering or sleeping.

Using the phone has been rather challenging. I used to be very confident on the phone, so my main problem has been lacking the confidence to actually pick up the phone and possibly make mistakes/ask for things to be repeated. My confidence is rising though. I just need to push myself more. I do make phone calls now though, but need to be making more.

Music is not too bad, but prefer listening to music that I know already, which is anything pre 2003. New music is a bit difficult to appreciate, as I obviously have no memory of how the tune goes, but I can definitely appreciate the beats in music from any era.

Favourite sounds so far include:

- being able to hear my dog walk on our laminate floors for a month before he died

- birds singing, especially robins!

- rain

- listening to some of my favourite music

- hearing me type (which may explain my looooong posts! :lol: )

Worst sounds:

- emergency vehicle sirens (which happen to be very frequent along the main road that I live on)

- my husband (<_< when we're arguing, which isn't too frequent, thank God!)

- a baby crying (that's just irritating anyway)

- G4 (contestants in the X-Factor TV show)

I feel sad and angry that I lost my hearing in the first place, but I also feel very lucky to have been given the opportunity to hear again. It's interesting, because I have met 2 people to date, who have had substantial hearing loss, with the go ahead to have the implant. Both these people, at the point I met them, were very doubtful that they'd have the implant. They were mainly misinformed about the facts of the operation. I think that this is such a shame, as in my opinion, they really don't have much to lose, but it is a personal decision.

Therefore, I always tell people I meet that it's definitely worth having. It has restored my life to something that I can be happy about. I dread to think what would have happened if I had remained deaf. I know that I would be very depressed.

But, thankfully, I'm pleased to say that that's not the case with me :D

Congratulations. I can't begin to imagine how it must be to lose either sight or hearing as these are probably our most precious senses. It must be great to have at least something back again and that you have done so well.

Thanks for following up for us, Afet. It is a most interesting story and give us something else to be thankful for.

star_animation.gif

Makes me tear up everytime I think about how far you have come, doesn't surprise me a bit that you surpassed their estimations, way to go!

Hi Afet,

An amazing story - makes you glad to have been born when you were and not 100 years ago.

When you said one of your favourite sounds is:

hearing me type (which may explain my looooong posts! laugh.gif
I had to laugh... it reminded me of that stereotype of the after dinner speaker who goes on and on because they love the sound of their own voice. Which would be perfectly understandable in your case!

-K

Hi Afet

Very interested in your story, I work in the access field, physical and sensory. Your the first person I've contacted with a Cochlear implant.

recently I have been trying to understand deaf culture, I want to work with their community and propose adjustments that don't affend and meet DDA.

Can I ask whether you learnt to sign? Will you continue to do this?

How has the implant been excepted within deaf community, has this changed things.

Hope you don't think I'm nosey, it would be a real insight for me

Kin regards

PJ :)

Afet,

You've come a long way and you have so much to be thankful for and you should be so proud of your accompishments. You could be a walking billboard for them as you have progressed so fast. CONGRATULATIONS

BTW - that simulation of an implant sounds just like the voices that tell me to misbehave on the forum  :D

Uh-oh, Marcus, if that's the case, we're in for trouble here. :unsure: :lol:

Thank you, everyone, for your continued well wishes. :D

It really warms my heart to know that my story is a source of encouragement to you, especially since I know that we each have our own remarkable stories to tell of how we survived the big 'life-changing' event, within our own lives.

Thank you for caring.

Paul, you're not being nosy at all. But would you mind if I answered your good questions later, as I am very tired at present (had a VERY long day) and am struggling to be coherent here! :blink:

Need.....Sleep......Now...... :unsure:

(*puts on Arnie voice*)

I'LL BE BACK! B)

Afet, that's wonderful and thanks for the update. I remember when you first told us about it, I was happy for you then and still am, that things worked out so well you are a remarkable person. You know, it's special people like yourself, that help us to keep things in some sort of perspective. I couldn't imagine going through all of that, like you say, bad enough with losing your legs, let alone trying to deal with another traumatic loss. I have three birds and I can't begin to imagine never hearing them chirp/sings, as well as talk and they all do. B) You certainly are an inspiration to all. :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Kindness goes a long ways, so let there be enough for everyone.

Oh Afet-that's the best news, hey and I'm even more pleased that you could hear the interview-now I understand what you mean't.

Wow you're whole world must have open back up.

Isn't the dream thing funny I can so relate to it and I always think that if I can't dance, run, skip or whatever I can always do it in my dreams-I'm very glad we have them.

You've brought tears to my eyes-that's the best news I've heard in ages x x x x

Mel.

Hi Afet

Very interested in your story, I work in the access field, physical and sensory.  Your the first person I've contacted with a Cochlear implant.

recently I have been trying to understand deaf culture, I want to work with their community and propose adjustments that don't affend and meet DDA.

Can I ask whether you learnt to sign?  Will you continue to do this?

How has the implant been excepted within deaf community, has this changed things.

Hope you don't think I'm nosey, it would be a real insight for me

Kin regards

PJ :)

Paul,

As you know, I BECAME deaf in 2003, and was deaf for a total of 16 months only. Therefore, I'm probably not the best person to ask about understanding the "deaf culture," as I never really felt part of that culture. I always hoped that I would hear again, and held on to that hope for dear life!

I never did learn how to sign. I had the chance to, but I felt that it would be sort of like admitting defeat, and accepting that I was deaf for good, which I was unwilling to do. I did, however, attend lip-reading classes, which were a great help to me.

I've heard of mixed reactions to cochlear implants from the deaf community. I think because the results differ from person to person, there may be a lot of uncertainty that they work for everyone. Again, this, I believe, is misinformation.

I do know that children born deaf are being offered implants sooner, due to the reason that the results are better the shorter the amount of time without the ability to hear. I also know of deaf adults being offered implants, but this is probably the least effective in terms of satisfactory results, from what I know. But that doesn't mean that it will be an unsuccessful operation, just that the results may be better for the shorter term deaf. When you consider that *SOME* hearing will be attained, that's got to better than nothing, IMO.

I had to be assessed as to whether I would be a suitable candidate first. I was told that I was a very good candidate, for a number of reasons, including the length of time I was deaf, the cause of my hearing loss and that I had prior memory of hearing from before.

Here are some useful links that might help you, if you've not seen them already:

Bionic Ear System

National Cochlear Implant Users Association

RNID

RNID Forums

There are many forums for the deaf all over the internet. Maybe you could join one and put your questions to the members there..? They'll probably be able to help you more than I have.

If you've got any more questions you'd like answering, please feel to post them. I hope I've helped! :huh:

Afet, I have just been catching up on this post, I was in hospital last October when you first posted on this topic, so I unfortunately seem to have missed it. I am so pleased for you that things have gone well.

By the way, I'm glad you like the sound of rain, lol :P

By the way, I'm glad you like the sound of rain, lol :P

Yeah, and I live in THE perfect country for it!!!! :lol: :huh:

Thanks for posting Pam ;)