Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
trwinship

These boots are made for splashing......

Well, I saw the thread about boots for prostheses--I thought I'd start a new one with a different slant: I'd like to be able to take up fly fishing again, and I enjoy nature photography, sometimes in very wet places. I'd like to be able to have some waterproof boots--hip boots or waders for fishing and something knee high for marshy places. But---I can't get them on over my LBK prosthesis and foot. I've seen people using water legs for this purpose, but it might be a whole lot less expensive to find some kind of boot with a tall upper that still allowed me to insert my big--size 11--foot. Somewhere I saw where shoe repair places can insert a zipper all the way down a boot, but that doesn't sound like it would be watertight. Any suggestions, experiences? Thank you for your help, as always!

Well, I've had a look to see if I could find what you were looking for, but so far, I have not been able to find anything that would be suitable for prosthetist users. Found just the regular kind of waders I'm afraid. :(

However, I did find some boots suitable for the woods that are NOT knee high. These have zip-ups:

Zip-Up Boots

I will keep searching for you though.

P.S. What's your budget?

Hello, Afet. Thanks very much for your enquiries on my behalf! By an odd coincidence I happened to be in Nelsonville, Ohio last weekend--the headquarters for Rocky Boots--and saw the very boots you located at their outlet store. The zippers caught my attention, as they did yours. I asked whether they had similar boots with higher tops, but the kids working in the store didn't really know the product line very well. I couldn't find any taller ones.. They were very nice boots, though, and now I'm a little sorry I didn't buy them.

About my budget--I don't really know. It's certainly not unlimited, but I guess it's enough that I'd at least enquire into having some boots custom made if I knew they were really watertight and good quality. I don't even know where to ask about something like that . Guess I should more seriously look into this issue and ask Google!

Again, thanks for your help.

I've been looking and there seem to be a few waders with 'stocking feet' that you might be able to wear and perhaps use the boots above^^^^ or anything that copes with the wet but don't have to be high, with 'em????

here's a link to the sort of waders I mean

Hello Cazzy--thank you for your help as well. I've looked at the "stocking type" waders and the problem is still that I have to be able to get my for-all-practical-purposes-rigid BIG foot down a narrow (albeit stretchy) tube that is not intended to stretch quite that much. The intent of this type wader (just like any long boot) is that the user will be able to flex their foot along the long axis to get into the bottom of the stocking/boot, and mine, alas, doesn't work that way. That's why I'm thinking about something that zips all the way to the ankle--no bending.

Honestly, I really feel bad about disparaging suggestions because I can use all the help I can get, and I do appreciate your efforts on my behalf. Keep the ideas coming!

Hi Trwinship,

Only me again! I've had another look, and found quite a selection. Unfortunately, I could not find thigh-high waders as such, because as you know, it is difficult to find ones with a side-zip.

But, I have found several waterproof boots, some even of the 'wader' variety. Some are lace-ups, some have side-zips - thought you could decide for yourself which ones you prefer.

No need to thank me - I, at times, obviously have too much time on my hands!!! :P

Good Luck! B)

Snowbee Boots

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=151993]

http://www.discountedboots.com/site/604790/product/7501

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=158057

http://domsoutdoor.com/product.asp?pn=1%2D052969

trwinship,

I don't know if this will do any good, but, you might check out this site.

overshoes.com

It is for Neo overshoes, they also make boots for boating. I had a pair of them that I use around the farm. The "throat" of the boot opens up really wide to allow my artifical foot to go in them. I don't know off hand if any of the other styles will work for you but I thought that you might want to check it out at least. I realize that there probably isn't a pair of "waders" but there used to be some fairly high top boots there. I have had mine now for a couple of years so, I haven't been to that site in a while.

:rolleyes:

Higgy

Thanks everyone for the additional information. You've helped me turn up some real possibilities. Higgy, those NEOS boots look very interesting--some of them are 20 inches high. Your overshoes.com link didn't work for me, however--I don't know if the web site is gone or what. But several other places have those boots; I found then at www.harborsoles.com.

Thanks again!