Heather Mills - Amputee Forum

Hi all,

I have just picked up my second leg, the first one did't fit and was painful and the second is the same.I'm AKA.

What i need to know is :-

what should i expect from my new limb?

Am i being over fusy?

How much pain do you have to put up with?

( i can not even take one step with out using cruthches, to support my weight as it hurts to much)

and what is the criteria for a suction socket?

I am getting to the stage of giving up, i sound a right drama queen, but like all of us i wont to get on with life. I don't mean to but, i get frustrated and take it out on my nearest and dearest.

PLEASE HELP

Michelle

Michelle I don't think we can ever be too fussy.

If it hurts say so and get it fixed .

Please don't give up.

Cat

Hi Michelle,

the only way forwards with using a prosthesis is if it is a good fit. As in, does it feel comfortable. It sounds to me that the socket is the problem! Perhaps your stump is impacting with the base of the socket? Do you use stump socks?

I always have a gap of about an inch between the end of my stump and the bottem of the socket, I use a very thin stump sock, which I draw my stump into the socket until I have the inch gap. Now this works for me, others may have differing ways. But I don't let the end of my stump come into contact with the bottem of the socket. I envisaged that if I did then all my body weight would be on the end of my stump, thus causing problems with the nerve ends.

I have an Ultimate Knee leg with Multi-flex foot and it all works very well for me.

It does take time for your body and stump to adjust, so don't give up!

Go back to your prosthesis and explain the problems and have them adjust the socket. You shouldn't have to put up with any pain!

You should, after a good fitting and the most suitable prosthesis for you, be able to get the benefits of walking without pain.

You are not being fussy, what is the point of you being given a prosthesis and you stop using it because of pain?

As regards suction sockets, I tried it once and found that I could not rely on the suction working properly. However, I know several Amp's who use that method and don't have any problems.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on.

Best regards

Steve

Michelle,

You should not have to put up with pain. My prosthetist says there should be no pain. The pressure should be evenly distributed over the entire leg area.

However, I am a lbk and I know nothing about above the knee amps.

Keep after the prosthetist until you (and he) gets it right. You can bet your last dollar (pound?) that he would not deal with pain if he were fitting himself.

Take care,

LaDawn

Texas, USA

hI

I had my amputation (RBK) on 17 August this year and got my first leg about 2-3 weeks later. I'm now on my second leg and I too am having problems with the prosthesis. I know that some of this is because the skin is still sensitive and there's still swelling, but llike you, I cringe with every step I take (I currently use a frame).

I still attend outpatients 3 times a week for physio, but the prosthestist is always there too, and I just keep telling her where it hurts, she adjusts it, and I go off hoping that it's going to be alright. The point is, I will keep on telling her about any sore spots until she gets it right. That's her job. You should also be doing this, or else find someone else to make your leg for you.

I hope you get your problem resolved (as do I).

Good luck

Carole

Hi Mig. I'm a Dak and it shouldn't hurt at all. You need to complain more or get a second opinion. I myself have pin fit sockets. Had a suction fit on my left limb, which is quite short, but it wouldn't hold the suction when I sat down. You are going to have the prosthetic for the rest of your life and you need to be comfortable. I know it takes time to get use to the feeling of a socket, but it should not hurt at all. Don't give up! :blink: I'm 51 and feel there are too many things I can NOT do if I resign myself to a wheelchair. Good luck, keep us informed. God bless....................................Vince

Hi Michelle,

Like you i am AKA since July this year. I had problems with groin pain and my limb centre have cut part of the limb away which has really helped, however, this week i too have been experiencing terrible pains. I have a suction socket and as soon as i put it on i have herendous pain and cant even put on leg. I also hoping that people here can advise me.

Carol

AKA's can have comfortable limbs without any pain as long as the socket has been cast correctly and there are no other issues like healing bone/wounds. If you are feeling pain something is not right - its as simple as that and don't let the CP's tell you any different!

Exactly what kind of pain are you experiencing? Is it skin, bone, or muscle related? If its skin then you need to look out for pressure points: After wearing the limb a bit take it off and check for any red areas on your stump. If there are any then they need to be pointed out to your CP. The same goes for any blisters you might be getting. I tend to notice these sorts of indicators where I have a bony prominence and always point it out to my CP.

If the pain you are experiencing seems to be a bone ache then you are probably not bearing weight evenly and taking it all on the end of your stump. I would have thought for a recent amputee this is undesirable, but that's a guess. Your CP should ask you if it hurts to take all your weight on the end of your stump before casting the socket as an end weight-bearing one.

Suction sockets are usually better for those who do not suffer from large volume fluctuations, and have a longish and smooth-surfaced stump. When a suction socket fits its great - the best fit you can get, but if your volume changes during the day it will either leave you feeling very uncomfortable/squeezed or you could lose suction.

Let us know how you get on and best of luck!

Thanks for all the replys, all very helpful and i am glad that i am not on my own.

(as i know i am not with this forum)

I wrote a letter telling them all the problems that i am having, and with in a day i had an appointment with the top cp, i will let you know how i get on. thanks once again.

Michelle

Hi Miglet(?)

As a user of two of these socket things, I know that one is not to feel any discomfort at all while wearing them. Even if you are recasted, the casting check socket will have to be tweaked for fit.You weight has to be distributed evenly throughout the socket in order to not feel pain or discomfort.

ED