Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DaveH

Hello from Wellington, New Zealand

Hello there,

I'm a recent amputee, RBK due to a motor vehicle accident on 27 Feb 2003.

Due to an infection it has taken a bit longer than expected to get my leg - had it for just over a week now.

From reading other peoples experiences it has made be think how "lucky" I am to be in NZ where all hospital, phisiotherapy and prosthetic requirements are covered by ACC (the govt Accident Compensation Commision).

I am also very fortunate to live in a city where there is a limb centre (there are only 3 in the country) and to have been the first amputee to get a College Park TruStep as their primary foot. Usually people have to prove that will take advantage of the technology before they can get it - the downside of govt insurance.

I still require one crutch (sometimes 2) when walking but am hoping to soon not need them at all. Will be going back to work (3 days a week to start off) on the 16th of this month (just shy of 4 months since the injury)

All the Best

David

Welcome aboard David,

Sounds like NZ does some good things for amputees.

Keep practicing with the leg, it will take a little while to get used to it but in no time all will feel "normal" again

Rgds Glenn

Way to go Dave!!!

Glad to hear that you will be returning to work next week!!!

I am also glad to hear the NZ has provided you with your needs. Here in the States it is much different. My insurance was maxed out the first year I became a BKA. They only pay $1000/year for replacements and repairs and we all know $1000 is nothing. Luckily I have a full time job and the state that I work and live in provides assistance for those working. I guess they figure it is cheaper to pay for the equipment!!

You should be so PROUD of yourself. Soon you will be racing around without those crutches!!!!

Peace :P

Hello again.

It's now just over 5 months since my accident and have now been walking without crutches for about a week.

I've started working 4 days a week from this week - been 3 days a week for the past few weeks.

Next week I'll be geting my new socket, which through a series of circumstances is a pin locking system with iceross liner. Last week I tried the check-socket and what a difference from my existing socket! I felt like I could run (and jump) if I wanted to and the leg felt more a part of me - finding it very difficult to wait for the final socket.

Should be getting my drivers license back soon - the Land Transport Safety Authority (a bunch of officious rule-making morons) suspended my licence because I was deemed 'medically unfit to drive' - If I'd lost the leg due to illness they would never had known and I could have driving since I got out of hospital. However, I've had my driving assessment and everyones happy that I can drive so will be getting my license reinstated. I am getting a left hand accelerator fitted to one of my cars (the automatic one) and I'm sure that with the new socket on my leg will be able to drive a manual car again - though heel-and-toe manoeuvres are probably a thing of the past.

will post more once I've got the new bits.

David

Great news Dave, glad to hear it! :D

Bit odd about them taking your licence away, but its good to hear you'll be getting it back. I'm sure once you have your new leg you'll be jogging down the road and leaving your crutches in the cupboard to get dusty.

Best of Luck!

Mandy