Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
jberna

Learning to ski

There is a lot of discussion on this website about 'dates being set' and it usually is for surgeries...I have a GOOD date that was set this week. I have been very excited about learning to ski but really wanted to go someplace to learn how to RIGHT before I hit the slopes with this new leg. We have a great place here in Utah called The Ability Center. They teach people of ALL abilities a whole range of sports, including skiing.

The resort we bought season passes to opened last weekend, we took the kids and had a BALL two different days...for now I am the picture taker. Even my just turned four year old was flying down the slope by the end of the day. It made me so excited to get out there myself.

So I called the ability center and they have a five week session that starts in January. I will go the same time every week for five weeks in a row and have two hours of personal instruction, be outfitted with equipment and get a free lift pass for my hubby...a great deal. The fun thing for me was the date the sessions start....

When I had my surgery date looming I found this site and found brenda. I found out she was running her first marathon on the day before my surgery. It really inspired me. I had wanted to do something significant on the first anniversary of my surgery but running at ALL is not in the cards right now, much less a 26 mile race! :blink: But what do ya know...my SKI LESSONS start just two days after the first anniversary of my surgery! How perfect! :P

For now I will go with my hubby and kiddos and watch them ski, taking notes as I sit on the sidelines and wait for "my date". We have a big trip to New Hampshire coming up anyway, for three weeks at the end of november, then christmas will come and go quickly..and THEN it will be my time again! I get to feel that wind rushing thru my hair and come down those slopes myself. I just cant wait....

In the meantime I'm really working hard at the gym, when I can get there. I have noticed a big difference in my leg strength since I started lifting. Hope they are strong enough to ski by january......

I will let you know how it goes...I may fall a LOT the first few sessions (something I work so HARD on in regular life, NOT falling down!) but as long as I dont get an injury I am willing to get up and try again....my kids love it so much, I dream of flying down those slopes with them by late spring. The fun of living in Utah....

Thanks for all the encouragement you guys have given me the past year....it has been a VERY enriched year because of my support right here. ;)

Judy

already snowy Utah

LBK

That's fantastic Judy I hope you enjoy every second of it.

I saw snow for the first time in my life this year and had enough trouble walking in the snow without falling let alone putting skis on.

But gee it was fun.

Cat

That's fantastic news Judy! I am SOOO happy for you. :D

And yes, you're right, the timing is perfect. I really wish that you have a great time and manage to achieve the goals you've set. But already you have achieved so much. A bit of a play on YOUR words here, but just think of where you were "this time last year!" :P

It must be great living where you do. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing like that where I live.

Have an amazing time anyway!

Hi Judy,

YOU GO GIRL! I know you'll do it because you have the determination to. The date being a few days after your surgery wow that will be such a victory for you. Keep up the goals and before you know it you'll say wow look at me now compared to a few years ago. As for running you'll get there just remember BABY STEPS! First having good balance and a good walking gait then RUNNING. Keep up the good works my friend you've come a long way in less then a year.

Hi Judy, thanks for the inspiration, I'm sat here in my wheelchair, only six weeks post op and you've got me thinking, what the hell can I do next October to celebrate the anniversary of my new life. It's quite hard to think that far ahead, especially when you've only got one leg. Maybe I should think further ahead, maybe the paralympics, a few years ago I got a certificate for shooting when I was on holiday :P do you think that would qualify me for the rifle shooting team? :huh:

I think I'll wait until I get my new leg, perhaps I will get even more inspired once I'm up and walking about again, I've forgotton how to run (haven't been able to run for over 30 years) perhaps I'll even start that again, lol pigs might fly!!!

Hope you have a great time learning to ski, it sounds great fun, pity we can't do that around here, its not so much fun on a dry ski slope!!

You've really got my thinking now.

Love from,

Have a wonderful time in the snow Judy !!! I hope your lessons go well. Your kids will love having you out on the slopes with them.

Eric will be so proud of you,I will let him know.

Cat ...... would,nt it be nice to have a white Christmas ....... instead of a stinking hot day in the 30's ........ B)

Debbie

Yep you're so right Debbie it would be nice.

Outside would match the Xmas cards lol.

Notice there are no cards with a blazing hot sun on the cover?

One of our wishes is to one day spend Xmas and New Year in New York, I bet they have their hottest Xmas ever that year LOL

Cat

Pam, I am SO glad I got you thinking! My big life motto right now is "this time next year" (makes afet laugh...) and I think there are so many MORE things I will be doing next october....looking at MY two year anniversary....for now I cant run yet but by golly I will be skiing in a few short weeks!

I told my husband I may hate running...but I have never been able to run so just knowing I CAN will be a huge deal. I predict I will learn how, realize I hate it, and never do it again (except in rain storms!) but I really think I will like skiing and rollerblading (maybe next oct?) and hiking with my kids....we all have our "things".

Debbie, thanks for telling Eric for me...tell him I miss his ski inspiration for ME...and I will keep him posted on my progress. I think of him when I take my kids to the slopes now....know he will come to mind when I am skiing myself!

It is very exciting to have a whole world of sports open up to me, now that I have a leg that works!

Judy

Utah

LBK

Hi Judy, I'm really happy that you've got this oppurtunity to learn how to sk and your whole family must be soooooo excited for you, just as we are here. :D With your good positive outlook and determination I'm sure you'll be flying down those slopes with the family beside you soon. How wonderful that must sound to you, to go skiing after all you've been through with you leg, to have the amputation and now do more than you've ever been able to do, that's super and you're quite an inspiration to us all. I totally agree, what a PERFECT way to celebrate your first anniversary!! I wish you much success with your sking lessons and hope hubby or the kids get some pictures of you on skies to post for everyone to see, how nice that would be. You make us all proud, so keep moving on girl!!! :D

WAY TO GO JUDY!!!! skijumpBG.gif

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Judy,

I am so happy about your exciting news. I have never skiied, but I have been on holidays with friends who skiied and it is so beautiful out there. I hope you do well and are flying down the slopes in no time.

Please keep us posted.

LaDawn

lbk since 07-15-04

Texas