Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
sueflayy

bk and airplanes

hi all

how are u??

i have been an amputee for 2 yrs with many problems, now, tho, i things are ok and i hope to try an airline flight soon,

i am fearful, tho, cause i heard swelling during flight can mean getting leg on after removing can be problem.

is this a prob after landing, too?

also has anyone travelled to higher altitude and had probs getting leg on?

i just dont want to get to a destination and be stuck sitting without being able to get my prosthetic on, this is terrorfying to me and big part of why i have not travelled

any of u travellers with experience i would love to hear from

thank u

sue

I guess it all depends on how long the flight is and whether you take your leg off during the flight, or not.

I recently flew to Australia (and back) from New Zealand - around a four hour flight and had no problems at all.

I left the leg on and occasionally made sure that it was 'pumped up' - I have the harmony vacuum system leg which may also make a difference.

Hi,

The leg swells slightly but this shouldn't stop you from flying.

I work for an airline, so i'm flying all over the place - long haul, short haul and only once had a problem with getting the prosthesis back on and that was because i had taken it off ... :unsure: (which i don't recommend unless it becomes extremely uncomfortable)

Happy flying! :D

Hi Sue,

I've done lots of flying around Australia and two long hauls ( England and U.S. )

It's hard cos I can't sleep with my leg on so I just don't sleep. Secondly I try to get and aisle seat so I can stretch my leg out straight so I don't cramp up with it bent all the time (I'm below knee by the way). I was so tired getting close to L.A. last year that I tried to sleep with it off and in no time it had swelled up but the swelling went away fairly quickly. Especially as we had to run for our connecting flight to Vegas LOL. Not sure if the swelling went away or I just forgot about it with the fear of getting stuck in L.A. in my mind lol.

Please don't be afraid to fly it's not that bad.

We can do anything!!! :D

Cat

Hi Sue, I am pretty new at this too, but have some experience to share. I am a BK also and had heard on this website that sometimes if there is room they will upgrade you to first class if you tell them you need more room for your leg. I tried it when I flew from Salt Lake City to Dallas about six weeks ago. They didnt have a first class section but were very quick to get me the "bulkhead", which is the first row of seats, has a lot more leg room. I had them assign me seats on all connecting flights at once so I didnt have to worry about the next flight. I left my leg on, although did feel a need to stretch it out every now and then. I didnt walk the aisle but would not have thought twice about it....anything that helps. I travelled in warmer weather and wore shorts on purpose, so people around me would know if I needed some special consideration. Everyone was very polite and helpful.

I would wonder if putting a tight shrinker sock on, if you just HAD to take off your leg during flight, would help it not to swell too big for the socket? Anyone have any guesses? Just pop the leg off, put a tight shrinker sock on, and that would keep it "small"?....

Dont be afraid to travel...there is a lot of life to be lived out there...go grab it!

I will be flying almost across the US in two weeks...from Utah to Boston, with a lay over in Vegas, so will let you know how that goes....it may help that I will be distracted by travelling with my four kids! After my successful flights to dallas I am very optimistic.

Good luck my friend!

Judy

Utah

LBK

I am flying from Fl to CA tomorrow and will let you know how I do. I will be back sunday and will try to post on monday.

Brenda

Hello again!

We just travelled with my family to USA. The flight took us about 15 hours, and I was very worried about my leg too (I´m ak amputated). But there were any problems with my leg, I did little bit walking on the plane and that´s it. Eventhough I never use wheelchair at home, we had reserved wheelchair to every airport for me, so (which was very good thing!!) I didn´t get any scrathes either in to my stumb before we were in USA. If you don´t wear your prosthesis, tie your stumb properly,

Mia

My flight was uneventful. I being a rbk wanted the isle seat so I can stick my leg out in the isle for stretches from time to time but I ended up with the window seat both out and back. I did take my leg off on the second leg (sorry for the pun) out and it went on without any problems. Coming back I took it off the first and left it on for the change over. Had no problems getting the leg back on either times. I did keep my silicone liner on just so I wouldn't have to worry about swelling.

Hi

I have also travelled extensively, my daughter stays between Mauritius and Ireland. I do not take my leg off!!!! scared I wont get it back on, and dont want to be the centre of attraction. Always get an aisle seat or otherwise they upgrade me to business class, and always arrange an awaiting wheelchair. The bottom line is there is nothing to worry about,

Jenny South Africa