Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Afet

"I lost half my car and both my legs"

Cool story, Afet. Thanks for posting it. This guy has a great attitude. I was amazed at the quote saying if he had not been willing to lose his legs he wouldnt be in racing....I dont think most racers would have that attitude! Seems like a guy with his head on straight.

There was a much more tragic story in the Salt Lake Tribune yesterday. An amputee, age 42, was crossing a street in the dark and his leg came off. He stumbled toward the curb but then started to crawl back to get his leg and was hit and killed by a driver who didnt see him. So sad. So the moral of the story...if your leg comes off in traffic, dont go back for it!

Judy

Utah

LBK

Oh, that's a sad story Judy. :(

How very tragic, to have survived that far, but then to be killed in that way.

Good of you to tell us about it though. You just might have made one of us think twice about doing the same thing if we were in the same situation.

Reminds me of a story that a colleague told me before I went off sick.

We were talking about accidents we had suffered, as you do. A colleague and her husband had an accident on the M6 going on holiday to Cornwall. A car swerved, made their caravan jacknife into the central reservation and bounce back taking out another car. The outcome was they all got over to the hard shoulder, but the family in the other car found they had left the dog in the car, so the husband decided to go and get it, as he opened the door to get the dog a lorry went past and tore his leg off. How terrible was that.

Afet:

I don't think this was "bad luck". Bad luck implies a responsibility on the victim.

This is just another case of another moron / idiot being allowed to drive the roads of this world.

ED

Ed:

I meant bad luck by the fact that this family were already involved in a potentially fatal accident, but they all came out of it with no injuries. Then for the man to lose his leg in such a way AFTER surviving the accident is really bad luck/unfortunate. I did not imply that losing his leg was his responsibility. Far from it actually.