Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

Gadgets, Gizmos and Trinkets--oh my

Hi People:

Thought I would stir the pot to see what comes up.

All of us I am sure have gone through the little process of receiving things from the "professionals" to help us get by. BUT, I also know that the more seasoned an amp becomes, the more creative he / she becomes.

How about some time savers for those newer to this world?

Like: I use a kids plastic sled and cut down ski polesin the winter to get around the country home as wheelchairs suck and legs are not so steady.

ED

Well I don't know if it will help somebody but I have a prosthesis that has a pin. When I got it I learned to put the silocone socks on my stump and then try to get the pin in the little hole...ssssssssssssssssssst I would spend a lot of time trying and trying to get to the hole withouth any luck, just getting angrier and fustrated all the time. Some times I would give up for a while and try it again and I still would take a long wasted time when I finally would get in the stupid hole. It is hard to describe but imagine that you have to put your stump with the socks that has a pin, inside a cone that has a hole... well I have a long shoe horn made of steal, (I guess it is used for helping to put boots on). I put the shoehorn inside, between my socked stump and the socket and guide to the hole. My prosthetist was shocked when he saw me doing it. I didn't have to waste anymore time trying to find the hole.

Good luck

Dea

OK - I'll bite a little more:

I just purchased a garden trailer that holds 10 cubic feet of junk - weighs nothing. Drilled a hole through the axel part of my wheelchair / used an old wrench from my table saw and bent it in the shape of an L so that I can hook the trailer to the chair. Now I can drag anything around using the chair as an engine. Carry all my tools around / yard cleanup whatever!!

ED

OK - I.ll bite again:

In the garage, I use what I call a begger's board. It is a 20" circle / padded / has five rollers on it. Great to get around on the floor when I am building stuff. The padding helps keep my butt warm in the winter. Also use it to move heavy things around like my saws.

ED

I can help here with a list of DONT's

Don't take peices off your foot to squeeze into a pair of shoes.

Don't cut bits out of your liner cos it's irritating you.

Don't play squash when your leg has been making funny noises for a week.

Don't drink out of your leg unless you're so drunk you're not going to remember how horrible it tasted.

Don't experiment with different socks just before a long run.

Don't say to your prosthetist it feels fine just to get out of the place.

Don't tell bigger kids at the pool that you lost your foot in the Boar War unless you can swim REALLY well.

Don't play tricks on silly people who then want to keep what they found and run off with your leg.

Don't race out of bed to be sick in the middle of the night and try to run with your leg still sitting on the floor beside you.

I'm sure there's more but I'm embarrassed enough now :P

Cat

:blink::huh: B) :blink:

Cat, was this before or after the winning number at the karoke bar...???? :D

Cheers for the tips Cat,

I'm sure I have a party night / staff night booked before Xmas! :D

Have a great party trick - can put my leg on back to front - just have to remember to turn it back to walk! Also works for unwanted attention! :D :P

Sue

You're not going to let me forget that Karaoke are you? :blink:

Cat :D

Nope ! :lol: :D

Ed, love the idea of this posting, hope more people chime in....

Cat, as always, you cracked me up!

Judy

LBK

Utah

Just to bring this item back to the top of the list.

The chair I am sitting in the wee picture is an "outdoor manual wheelchair" called a Terra Trek. Note that the front wheels are quite large. The back wheels are very grippy.

The little board in front of me used to be a transfer board. I cut it down and attached it via nylon fasteners. This alows me to "carry" larger items like 8' 2 x 4s.

ED

Also:

I know it is hard to see but underneath the chair as pictured, I strapped in a shopping basket that I "borrowed" from somewhere. This I cut down to fit. I use it to "carry" lots of small things like tools or chips from the store. Since it is a basket weave, dirt and water drain quite well from it.

P.S. Also holds a six pack perfectly.

ED

Hi All AGAIN:

On my day chair, as an accessory, there is a small bag that is strung between the sides. It is just large enough to hold keys / wallet / smokes / etc.

I use this item all the time rather than the traditinal bag on the back of the chair.

First of all it is secure with a zipper so I tend to NOT lose things.

Secondly, I reach it easily as opposed to struggling to find something in the back while falling over 'cause my center of gravity is off!!

ED

Another Old thought:

Once again, way back when I was "fresh", living in a wheelchair, I was introduced to one of those "reach things". You know, has a handle that you squeeze the trigger and the other end has a "pincher" arrangement on the other end / used to "reach" things.

Now the OT's in their infinite wisdom always recommend this item as a standard issue. The units are about 30" long in total.

The first problem with this was where to put it when you were not using it. The second problem was finding the dam thing when you needed it.

I did a bit of research and found out that these are available in different lengths so I ordered in a short one.

This is what one needs!!!! Not some stick that you need the wrist of Arnie Swartznegger to use!!

The 12" model IS practical / easily carried with you in a chair / and you don't need an open room to swing it like a light sabre.

I no longer use this item per sec, but it is stored under the dog's bed for those times I need to get an item.

Why the shorter is not a standard issue, I do not know. However, since I first used the short version, several wheelchair bound friends have demanded one of their own.

FYI

ED

::: Getting firewood into the house :::

This past weekend, we loaded up the truck with fire wood to bring back to the city.

Rather than having the wife unload this stuff, I used a combination of wheelchair (to unload the wood) / recycle bin (to put the wood in to) / a five wheel crawler (to have the reycle bin sit on / my ass (to push with).

It took me six trips to the basement to get this stuff into the house............but I did it........rather than the wife.

Where there is a will............ there is a way!!!!

ED

And where there's a will there's a relative.

Good stuff Ed :D

Cat

It took me six trips to the basement to get this stuff into the house............but I did it........rather than the wife

Tum Tee Tum ... Bad Muz... Don't say a word ;)

"Where there is a will...... there is a way"!!! How very true ED and you certainly seem to have the will and the determination to find a way. Also, how thoughtful of you to take charge so that your wife didn't have to do it all. :D It may have taken you six trips, but the point is YOU DID IT!!! and it musta make you feel proud and tired I'm sure. :o :blink:

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Ed, you never cease to amaze me. You're so inventive.

To Marcia:

You're so inventive

......not really. It's simply a matter of choice..............sit and veg and force others to work for you......or kick one's ass so you are not a liability.

ED

I have rapidly come to the conclusion that I will always need two canes to help out while tramping throught the bush. The dam arty feet just get toooooooooo tangled in the underbrush to not have the canes.

I fund that I am better off with the "arm" cane type of aide.

Well............this works well BUT add a little snow or loose sand and I run into additional factors.............like the cane ends sink so far that I am stuck.

After a bit of thought, for now, I have taken the ends off an old pair of ski poles and this helps a lot. I am in the process of designing soem kind of "ring' that will be set a few inches above the end of the cane end to act act sort of a "snowshoe".

ED

You do have to be inventive when you're bilateral, don't you Ed? :)

I liked your idea of ice/snow tips for your canes/crutches. I know you're making them yourself, but I thought you may be interested in these links:

http://www.awardprosthetics.com/crutchtips.html

http://www.fetterman-crutches.com/accessories/icetips.html

Lizzie

Thanks Lizzie

They look go especially the ice slip device, I have got the rotating crutch ends that I can't say I like, guys like Ed and I tend to push to much power through them, I end up spraining my wrist.

Like the idea of the spikey shoes, would play hell on a carpet though :D

PJ