Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
HipHop

Hello! I am new here. (pics inside)

Hello everyone.

I am 25 years old, and I live in Dallas Texas.

I am a LAK (Left, Above Knee), since September 6th 2003, 3:30am. I was involved in a motorcycle accident.

Here is a little bit of my story..

One second I am riding down the highway on my 03 107ci Big Dog Chopper the next thing I know I am on the pavement. An 18 year old drunk & high on weed driver going down the wrong way on a 4 lane toll road hit me head on in a 1970 Chevy Pickup. The accident happen right as I topped a hill. There was no time for any braking nor to make any evasive maneuvers... I remember sittin up and seeing my leg twisted around 1 and half times like a rubber band. I was thrown in the air and pancaked head first on the payment with no helment. I remember seeing a man with a orange vest trying to direct traffic from running me over as i lay in the middle of the road. I sustained a c1 fractured vertabrae, a dislocated right arm, fractured pelvis, & the loss of my left leg mid-thigh down. The State Troopers testified that they believe it was at least a 100mph impact and they could not beleive that I survived this. I was at least going 50mph in one direction and the truck that hit me was going at least 50mph in the other direction.. There was no braking by me nor the driver of the truck.... Head on with a 1970 Chevy Pickup on the highway.... My bike totaled the truck also.. The kid who hit me was sentenced to a half way house and 10 years probation. He got off with not going to jail because he did not have a prior record

But with all this said.. I still would jump on another bike if I could... There is nothing like it!!!

I have a prosthetic leg and I am doing pretty good with it.. I am walking with only the assistance of a cane..

Bike before the Accident

Chopper_Front.jpg

Trailer_side.jpg

trailer_back.jpg

Bike at the accident

exhibit7.jpg

exhibit2.jpg

Bike at the pound

pound_side.jpg

Truck that hit me at the Accident

exhibit11.jpg

exhibit12.jpg

Hey my friend,

I want to welcome you to this big family. I am sorry but you didn't sign your name so I will call you just for what you are a new member of this wonderful family. It looks incredible that you survived this accident. My gosh you must have had so many horrible days while in the hospital with so much pain and losing your leg when all you were doing was riding your bike!!! Although I still think you are a very lucky person (again, I don't know if you are a woman or a man) because I read what you wrote that you were thrown in the air and landed on your head without a helment!!!

You said you would like to ride a bike again... I think maybe you will someday... you have such a high spirit and wonderful attitude about the whole thing and I bet you can do a lot more than anybody would think you would be able to do.

Keep up the great spirit, chin up and look forward to your tomorrow.

Dea

Ouch!!

Welcome to the forum HipHop. As usual bike and rider come off badly in an accident. At least you got some satisfaction from the truck.

I know what you mean about riding again but I don't think I'll have another bike as I have other people to worry about. I saw how much they were hurt after my accident so couldn't put them through that again.

I know what you mean about riding again but I don't think I'll have another bike as I have other people to worry about. I saw how much they were hurt after my accident so couldn't put them through that again.

I could have written that...

Hi Hiphop, welcome to you. It's quite amazing (and worrying) how many of us on this website have lost limbs due to motorbike accidents. Looking at your photos, I understand what the cop meant about getting out alive!!! :rolleyes:

I hope you are making good progess now a year on after your accident. I had my accident 32 years ago, I was pillion passenger, the rider hit a car and I was catapulted into the air and hit three cars, my helmet flew off, but amazingly didn't have any head injuries, but my leg was in quite a state, the doctors put me back together the best they could and I have lived with it for all those years, it had got a lost worse recently, so I decided to have my leg amputated, I had it done on 6th October, so now I am waiting for my new limb, and hopefully a painless life, which will something quite new to me. :angry:

Muz said he wouldn't ride his bike again because of hurting his family. I know a lot of people who have said that, but in time they have always ended up with another bike. My husband has had his bike parked in the garage since I became unable to get around, but hopefully next year we will be out on it again, so don't give up Muz, time heals they say. :huh:

Best Wishes

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am looking forward to talking with all of you... Are most members here from a country other than America? Are there any members here from Dallas Texas other than myself?

As far as my progress, I am doing pretty good..

I haven't had any problems with my stump.

I don't really have any phantom pains.

I can walk best with a cane..

I can walk with out a cane but it is really ugly...

And with that said, I have my first question..

Will I always have to walk with a cane to achieve a normal looking walk?

Are there any AK's here that walk normal looking without a cane?

Hello HipHop:

I've seen a few persons like you. You would never know to see them that one leg was artificial. Except of course, when the experienced eye can pick out the tell tale signs of a shell brim

Myself I am a bilat aka and am able to walk around with no canes. my only problem right now is stopping without smacking into the nearest wall.

ED

Wow!! I would love to see video of diffrent AK's walking.. Is there any post on this forum of video's of people walking?

Hello HipHop and Welcome!

My name is Afet and I am a bilateral BK amputee since July 2003. My loss was the result of a serious infection & septicaemia.

It's hard to believe that you did come out of your accident alive. Wow! How are your other injuries doing? Are they all healed now?

This site has helped me so much with many things, like getting information about different legs/feet, advice about... anything! and, most importantly, support. We are all in the same boat, and it's good to know that there are others out there who have the same issues, that we as amputees, have.

You sound like you're doing well though. Being positive makes such a difference. I mean, we can't change things, so it's no use looking back. We have to look forward.

You asked if you would ever be able to walk normal looking without a cane. Well, I can only go by what I have seen at my limb centre by other AK's. There are a few that I have seen walk really well/without a limp. But you have to take into account that everyone is different, including their age, how high their amputation is, and whether they have had a good physio, etc.

You also asked if there is a site where you can see other AK's walking. Well, I know of one site called: www.prosthetika.com.

It is an instructional video site, showing you how to do certain things being an amputee (you have to pick whether you want to see a BK or AK, or even a below elbow example), like descending stairs, getting up from the floor, etc.

Hope it helps.

Looking forward to seeing more of you around! B)

Welcome to this place full of nice people HipHop, good thing uou found us!

I'm Co 1b1, 54 yoa, married, 2 kids (15+17) and I live in The Netherlands.

February 2001 I was involved in a motorbike crash... almost similar to you.

However, I did wear a helmet and the guy who hit me was sober.

But the rest... when I read your story itÅ› just like a big flashback to me....

It was a wonder I survived the crash... but your wonder's even greater... without a helmet!?!

You're alive HipHop, but what injuries you have!

I hope everything will work out fine and I sure hope it will be possible for you to walk without a cane.

I've seen more than a few AK's who walked as if nothing was wrong with them... with a good stump. good prosthesis and good training.

Just be patient, main thing is... you can walk!

Your chopper was really a show-piece man! What a beauty!

Maybe Hiphop, maybe, you can ride one again in future, you wanted that as you can, you said.

I'm riding a Sportster (just ordinary model) for allmost 2 years already and I love it!

But true is: with a BK the problems of riding a motorbike are less than with a AK like you.

Hope to see you regularly between all those interesting posts HipHop and all the best from Holland!

How are your other injuries doing? Are they all healed now?

Yeah everthing is ok.. I don't have any problems with any of the injuries that was sustained in the accident. However there is one new problem. I have never had knee problems in the past. But my one good knee bother me now sometimes.. I think it may be due to over use of my one good knee to compensate for not having 2 knees... I know that when I sit or stand that the one good knee is doing all the work...

G'day Hiphop and welcome to the family.

Cool pics....tragic but cool.

Cat

Hiyya Hip Hop , hey , totaly nice nike . Wass the mottoor an S&S motor or did you stick witht eh Harley Evolution engine . I can't really tell from theb pitituruutture . I also thinked that Big Dog motorcyles could be comed with thee Patrick motor . and were the rim Jesse James rims or Arlen Ness rims ? I have two bikes now , a ST1100 and just boughted a new STX1300 which will be delivereed in teh spring . Can't wait to get back onn my bikkes . Oh Kaaaaaz , coming gurl ???????? :D :D :D

Hi Hiphop,

Welcome to our forum family we are glad you found us. As a Harley owner and a back seat rider (I want my own but hubby is reluctant). What a beautiful bike before the accident. I'm sure with your determination you'll ride again. I haven't met anyone with an AK amputation that ride motorcycles but I've heard of a few. Maybe do a google search and see if there is any out there.

As for walking without a cane find a good Physical Therapist who has knowledge in AK gait and you'll be walking without a cane soon. As for the knee it's probably because you're using it to compensate for not having a knee on the other side as you gain trust in your prosthesis and you're able to depend on it more your other knee won't be working so hard.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Hi HipHop, sorry, for being the pokey one here, but welcome to our little corner of the world, where you'll find many friendly people, who enjoy sharing and caring for one another. My name is Sheila, have been a left below the knee, will be 9 yrs in Feb and I'm still on the move!!! :D You seem to be doing very well, with a good possitive attitude, which believe me, will carry you a long ways through life. That's not to say we don't still have our blah days, cos I know I still do, but once there over, it's right back on the positive beat again!! First I'd like to say what a beautiful bike. That certainly was a mirical to have survived such a horrible crash, someone was watching over you, for sure. :) I don't really know a whole lot about what AK amps can or can't do concerning activities, but stay tuned, cos there's many on here who can help answer that question and more. Of course, like Afet said, everyone is different and if I've learned anythings, it's that, there is no one size fits all in the amputee world. I have seen many blk without canes, but b/c of my sistuation, I have to use a cane. I rather look at it like, better that, then not being able to use the leg, that would really be a bummer. :( Tho you're young enough and with your good positive outlook, giving yourself some more time and practice, I do believe you'll be walking tall and extremely proud of that accomplishment one day and rightfully so!! :D Oh and thanks for sharing the pictures.

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Wass the mottoor an S&S motor or did you stick witht eh Harley Evolution engine . ... and were the rim Jesse James rims or Arlen Ness rims ?

The motor was a 107CI SS... The rims i think are custom milled for Big Dog....

Today makes 2 years since the accident that left me a LBK.. Thanks to everyone here that has helped me through the 2 years, & the many years to come..

DON'T DRINK & DRIVE!

Hiya Hiphop,

Isn't it amazing for us to look back and see how far we have come?

Well done!

Ally

Hi HipHop

I think we spoke before.

I am really sorry to hear of this accident...but everything is going to turn around...have faith and a good spirit...it will get you a long way. This may will be 3 yrs for me. I am a RBKA and mine was not caused but I elected to have it done. I hope you are doing well and keeping your chin up. If you need anything let anyone know and they will help you...but you can also help other people.

Lesley

Hey HipHop,

Are you back riding yet?

All you would need would be an electric shifter.

Ted

Hi, Hip Hop

I'm so glad we were able to meet in at the ACA Conference in Dallas. Thanks again to Johnny V for arranging that lunch gathering!

I'd say that you have accomplished a lot in the two years since your accident. I was reading through some of the posts in this thread and in one you mentioned you could walk well only with the use of a cane. You certainly don't have that issue any longer! I watched you walk (I was behind you on our way to the photo taking site because I couldn't keep up with you <_< ), and you have a beautiful gait. Your hard work has paid off!

Hope to see you next year!

Karen :-)

AKA

Orlando, FL

Are you back riding yet?

Are you?

Ally

Today makes 2 years since the accident that left me a LBK.. Thanks to everyone here that has helped me through the 2 years, & the many years to come..

DON'T DRINK & DRIVE!

Congratulations on your success of recovering from your motorcycle accident. You have done very well, and you have a lot to be proud of. We here are glad that your being part of this forum has helped you, as I am sure that you have helped others here as well, and will continue to do so. It was a pleasure hooking up with you at this years ACA convention, and I look forward to our paths crossing again at some time in the future.

Wishing you continued success.

Kind regards:

Johnny it was 2 years ago two days ago for me too!

The moon must have been playing havoc on those nights in September!

Well done to you to.

Mel.

Hello everyone.. Sorry for the extended amount of time that I have been away from the site.. I see that there seems to be a lot more traffic on the forum.. I was surprised when I clicked on "view new post" that it showed 13 pages. I am in the process of reviewing all 13 pages!!

In my last post in this thread I mistakenly said I was a "LBK", sorry but that was a typo... I am a LAK...

Thanks for all of your kind words and support...

biguncleted wrote - "Are you back riding yet"

No, Actually I don't have a desire to ride anymore.. Kinda like a "Been there, done that" attitude about it... But I do miss it.. Since the accident I have bought a 65 Convertible. On those really nice days that I would normally jump on my chopper, now I just pull out the 65, drop the top, and go for a cruise.

Krazy1200 wrote - "I'd say that you have accomplished a lot in the two years since your accident...."

Hello Krazy!! It was nice to meet you.. Thanks on the compliments about my gait... I am sure that the next time we meet I will probably be the one trying to catch up with you...