Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

Wheelchairs

Here's a topic that I have not seen anywhere in this forum.

Types of wheelchairs.

Myself, and I assume others, have gone through a "process" with these things. When I was first time in my current state, the wheelchair supplied to me was based on someone else's "professional opinion." As a new amp, I had no idea about wheelchairs at all! I was issued a Quickie with foot rests / rigid frame / 24" rims.

As I became more "experienced" I knew that what was "prescribed" for me was wrong and that I needed something other than what was issued to me. I needede something lighter / faster / stronger / bigger rims!!! ( I am sure my arms never grew once I lost my legs!!)

So:

To help others avoid getting a unit "not quite right", I would ask that all post their preferences and WHY so that the new person may not get bugg---- in their selection.

1.) My best chair to date is a Quickie TI, titanium light weight / 26" Spinergy tires and rims. Total weight is 17 lbs with tires / easy to load in my truck / strips down fast and is very fast. I used this chair for the first time last year to complete the Half Manitoba Marathon for a distance of 21.5 kms. I was the only legless man to complete this marathon. A feat I am very proud of.

2.) At the cottage and in the winter, I use a Terra Trek all terrain chair. Very heavy (50lbs) / 26" rims but can go through anything (woods / bush / sand / snow / gravel etc). Although a beast, it is the only tool I could find in the market to give me these abilities.

ED

Agree Ed, I've got a Quickie II also. Tried out heaps but your right it's very easy for me to fold, lift etc and yep it's quick. I think it's also important to be able to lift/flip the chair for curbs going up and down stairs, if it's too heavy the point of balance becomes a problem. You have my vote

Mel.

I've only had to use a chair once, when I hurt my good knee. No balance on my other leg so crutches were out of the question.

Was pushed ( think kamikaze :blink: ) around a shopping centre (Southland Mel).

It was one of the most terrifying trips of my life. :blink::rolleyes::blink::unsure:

I laugh about it now but gee I was scared out of my mind at the time.

NOONE gets out of your way.

Walls are damn close.

You have a bids eye view of everything just before you hit it!!!

At one point I just closed my eyes and prayed :P

Cat

Mate shopping centres are hell on earth. I thought I was smart doing my xmas shopping in November to avoid the crowds not! Your right no one ever moves and it drives me mad. I hve to psych myself up before I go shopping even to the supermarket-and my hands are black sticky and disgusting when I get out. What about when they made me do the fast moving escaltors backwards at Rehab. All I could imagine was my head getting stuck in the teeth at the bottom when the chair tipped over. I think they get their kicks out of that stuff. I have thrown myself out a couple of times because I miss judged the curb in peak hour traffic. It hurt like hell but I couldn't do anything but kill myself laughing. Everyone in their cars were horrified. That was a pissa.

Mel

To Mel:

Just to clarify, my chair is a Quickie Ti. I one or two of the IIs sitting around somewhere. The Ti is titanium and is much lighter than the II.

As to malls, I never have aproblem. I go as fast as I can and by God those people see me coming and dam near kil themselves getting out of my way.

I am quite considerate though. If the sound of my wheels don't get their attention, I do whistle as I approach them to make them aware of me. Past that though, they, like myself, are on their own.

So far, I haven't taken anybody out.

ED

Hi All:

I must say that i am somewhat suprised at the response or lack of to this thread. I suppose since I think a wheelchair type is important to me, perhaps it is not to so many others.

That aside, I think the most important thing for anybody new to a chair is as follows:

- listen to what the "experts" say. Then -

-do some research yourself before you say ok to what is recommended.

-stop and realize what you are now and then think about what you will be in a short time.

-consider what you will want to do not what you can do now.

-really try to "see" yourself on your own - not assisted by someone else.

I would think that not taking the time to do this would be detrimental in the long run. Here, where I am, what they give you at first is what you will have unless you expense the item yourself.

A good example of this is simply driving. Having a chair that is light enough for you to handle / strip down / load into your vehicle rather than one too heavy or not collaspable would be a future issue to consider.

ED

Hi Ed

I have recently had to consider this issue. Because of problems was advised that I ought to have one at home. I am in the UK and we have the NHS, and in my area that means the basic one. I have had quite a battle with them one way and another, the initial person I saw on several occasions had no idea of my needs as a bilateral b/k/. Then I eventually got to see someone who would authorize the "voucher system" (they give you a certain amount of money and you buy your own) this person seemed to understand my needs and we drew up a sort of prescription. I am after a lightweight folding one, to enable me to get it in and out the car, however haven't bought it yet as its fairly expensive.

Anyway what I would mention, esp. to bilaterals is you do need to think about your weight distribution with legs both on and off. You can get chairs with "anti tippers" that can be flipped on and off, to stop you tipping up the chair. You can also get chairs where wheels can be moved etc. Be aware if you live in some areas you might need to advise the professionals!!

Ann

Hi Ann:

I suppose some day I should load a print of my chair to this site.

The chair I now use is as I ahve stated previously, a titanium one - very light. The type of rims and wheels are a factor also - mine are Spinergy rims etc and are way lighter than any other set I have.

My chair is basically a seat / very small back support / two big rims and front castors only.

I pop the wheels off / throw them over my shoulder to behind the driver's seat and then reach down and pull the chair frame across in front of me and place it on the passenger's seat.

I threw away the tippy bars as soon as I was able to get back in a chair from the ground.

I no longer use my other chairs at all. I am looking for someone to give them too.

ED

Sorry_

Another thing I would like to mention is buying a chair over the internt. The prices are way lower than those charged to the insurance companies etc.

Ex. - my chair complete - billed to the insurance people for $7500.00 CDN

On the net - my chair made for me - I saw it for $1995.00 CDN

Just a thought

ED

Thanks Vince:

I thought I would drop the other one otherwise I would be the star (if I am not already) on some wacko, amputee loving, wierdo site.

ED

Recently had a wheelchair assesment to see what if anything was available to me on the good ole NHS. I was shown a couple of models that were a slight improvement on the beast I've already got. One thing I had not considered was having cut outs on the arm rests to enable me to get closer to a desk or table. At the moment I don't want to spend a fortune on something that may only be used occasionally (or preferably not at all) so I'll probably stick with whats available on the NHS at least until I know if my "assailant's" insurers are going to pay up.

To Muz:

I found that I had no need for arm rests at all. I work at a desk on computer. In my day chair state, I keep it as small and light as possible. Oh yeah - the majority of chairs as recommended by the "professionals" seem to be outfitted with 24" rims. I guess this is ok for the bodies who want to sit and fart their life away. I use 26" rims for speed and distance with the sanme amount of effort.

I would recommend to anyone to try 26" rims before settling. If you can use them - use them!!

ED

Ed

Wondered if there were any problems with transfer, when you are not wearing your limbs with the bigger framed wheels. Do you find you have any problems, transferring from wheelchair to ordinary chair etc.?

Muz

I have seen the ones with the cut outs for sitting at desks etc. also. However when I first became an amp. and used a wheelchair I quickly got rid of the arm- rests, so that doesn't bother me too much. From what I remember though some types were not removable and only flipped back.

I am probably in a similar situation to you, I would quite like one of the titanium framed ones but they are currently out of my price range, and I don't want to spend a fortune one something I hope I don't have to use too often. I currently have the basic NHS model, which weighs a ton and isn't visually very attractive.

Ann

To Ann:

I have no problems with "transferring" (I hate that word) front ways / sideways / over the wheel / around the wheel etc. Since I have no front end in the legless state, transferring has never been a problem. Even in a legged state I toss myself over any rims or whatever.

ED

Even in a legged state I toss myself over any rims or whatever.

:blink::blink::blink:

...aahh two countries separated by a common language ;) :lol:

That makes 3 of us :D :D :D