Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Guest lyinhart

Calluses

Guest lyinhart

Hi, haven't been on in awhile. Got a new problem. Has anyone had any problems with Calluses on their stump? I'm getting one on the front, right where my bone ends (I'm a LBKA). If so, have you been able to get rid of them? This one doesn't hurt, but it's ruining my liners faster than Medicare will pay for new ones.

Hey Richard,

I'm RBK and I had a callous grow out of a stitch hole on the medial side of my stump. It started when I was about 15 and gave me trouble on and off for years. I had it shaved down a few times but that hurt like hell so I didn't get anything done to it for a looooooooooong time. It gave me some trouble but not too much.

Then when I was in my mid thirties it suddenly got a lot worse. It started to increase in size and the pain increased, then became nerve pain as the part of the callous inside was now pressing on nerves. Hot pain up and down my leg constantly. I couldn't wear my prosthesis for very long and as I worked on my feet that became a nightmare. It kept me awake and when I did get to sleep it would wake me up. No amount of pain killers helped. I even had liquid phenyle injected into the nerve to try to kill it, but to no avail.

I ended up having surgery to remove it. My Doc said the part of the callous under the skin was about the size of an Aussie 20 cent peice. He had the shave the bone back to create excess skin to cover the wound and I wound up with 37 stitches and 2 months off work on crutches.

So my advise is get it seen to early. Don't let it get out of control like I did.

Good luck with it, keep me informed.

Cat

Guest lyinhart

Oh, Thanks a lot!.........LOL............ Just what I needed to hear.

Since this just started a couple months ago (lost leg to diabetes Dec. 2003, been a year only and I'm 57) I have a little time, I'm gonna try the next thicker size liner. I'll keep ya informed.