Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
girly_wales

How do you go to the toilet in the night?

A really random question but how do you go to the toilet in the night? Do you put your prosthesis back on and walk or crawl? or do you have a pot next to you bed ;)

I crawl to the toilet, kinda "hop" down from my bed on to both knees and crawl and then kinda just "jump" onto the toilet...

Hi,

I'm a crawler. Actually, I'm not on all fours. I put on some knee pads & walk upright on my knees. Luckily, my toilet & tub are next to eachother, so left hand on tub, right hand on toilet seat, a bit of upper body strength & whala...............

I wonder though about getting older. I mean, I'm sure I'll have to make adjustments as the body starts to slow down. :( Admittedly, I have noticed a bit of the aging process creeping up already. :o

Happy peeing! :P

Linda

I was supplied with a bottle when I left hospital but discontinued a few days after I'd been at my Fiancee's house as i was able to manage with a Zimmer frame to get me to the bathroom. Since being back home and not having room for the zimmer I use crutches to hop to the toilet from my bedroom. I usually don't get to bed until very late anyway so don't find I need to get up much.

I'm a 'walking on my knees' girl. I'm also lucky that the toilet bath and sink are next to each other to I can lever myself up.

My step-dad has just got me a set of crutches, which he had to alter for my height (the limb centre don't supply them!) So depending on how sleepy I am - sometimes I use the crutches and sometimes I don't.

Sue - Cardiff - UK

I don't know why but i tend to crawl there and hop back. Must be to do with the fact that i am still half asleep on the way there and a bit more alert on the way back. The toilet is in-between a wall and the wash basin so it is easy to get myself up.

I put my pros on. I have the suction socket, just slip it on without the sock. I guess there is less fumbling around than with the liner :blink:

My step-dad has just got me a set of crutches, which he had to alter for my height (the limb centre don't supply them!)

The OT's at the hospital supplied me with my crutches before I was discharged. They'll have to prise them from my cold dead hands before they get them back again :)

Hi Linda,

i'll get a pic on here as soon as i find my USB cable that i've been searching for for hours :blink::angry:

I'll put it in 'prothetics and related' to avoid any confusion with going to the loo ... :lol:

Actually Bob's my Dad.......and my Father in Law :blink:

I'm a hopper.

Cat

I am very fortunate to have an BKA and I have a walker roller thing that you sit on beside my bed, and all I have to do is roll into the hall.the bathroom they built for me is right there and its awesome, the persons that said they crawl on thier knees, and are older I suggest a walker roller thingy, because a lot of hopping or jumping could cause major injuries

Lesley

Fortunately im tall enough to use the top doorframe to swing from whilst im hopping, only thing is i have to be fully awake or my coordination goes to pot, there's no way i can be arsed to put my leg on, its takes me too long. (and yes Kaz i do sound jealous ;) ).

I don't get up in the middle of the night to pee to much. On the chance that I do have to I don't hope I hold on to my night stand and then the dresser and kind of shuffle. Once I get into the bathroom I hold on to the sink counter then shuffle to the toilet. I have a small bedroom and bath so it's all pretty close. Now if I'm traveling I bring and use my crutches. I used to hop a lot until I had a foot injury which was my fault completly so have pretty much stopped hopping since I don't want to be injured again.

I haven't got my leg yet, but I use crutches to get to the loo, and probably will still use them even when I've got my leg.

Lesley, you probably don't hop to the loo because of your FULL bladder (mind you you're not as old as me, muscles tend not to work as well as you get older :( )

Hopping back would be fine. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be great if us females could hop, pee and shoot???? :lol: :D :P :D

I try and stay in bed once I'm there (too lazy to get up!! :P ).

Sue - Cardiff - Uk

Hey Sue,

If you are too lazy to get out of bed, is your next option to change your Nightie for a dry one? :rolleyes::rolleyes: :D

X Don

No Muz ya silly :D , just a coincidence, although sometimes confusing.

Cat

That will take care of the Peeping Tom's Mike :P

:lol: I just had to add my funny story here...I rarely go to the bathroom at night, watch water intake after dinner....but at times I have "heard the call" and slip down onto the floor and quietly crawl to the bathroom. One night I suppose I crawled just a bit TOO quietly...trying not to wake my light-sleeper husband...when I came out of the bathroom, on all fours, our cat, who must not have seen me go IN...just about had a cardiac arrest! Here is this big "thing" coming out of the bathroom, towards him (!). In about a second and a half he flew across our bed, right across my sleeping husbands face, and was down the hall....in the meantime my husband, fully asleep then has this fur ball fly across his face, woke up in a second, and was out of bed in a flash, thinking I had fallen or something....I was laughing so hard, watching it all transpire, that I was glad I had ALREADY gone pee.....I still laugh when I think about that night.... :lol:

Judy

LBK

Utah