Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
girly_wales

How do you go to the toilet in the night?

I sit up, turn on my lght, reach for the crutches and head for the bathroom. Then I turn on the light, sit down, reach for my crutches and head back to bed. :D I was told, that whenever your back is to something, make sure the back of your leg touches the object, before you let go of the crutches to sit down, so not to lose your balance and end up in the tub.... OUCH!!! :rolleyes:

Pam I know the problem well and trying to hurry with crutches, while keeping your legs crossed doesn't work to well, especially when you're still half asleep!! :o :D

Sheila lbk

Maine

Keep Smiling :)

I don't have a fancy liner syetem so in the middle of the night I just pop on the leg and walk to the bathroom. If I'm stomach sick during the night or ill like that I'll sleep with the leg on so I can get to the bathroom faster.

Hi Andy,

Being a LBK, it is not much work for me to put my gel liner on, and lock into my socket to walk to the bathroom as needed.

Kind regards,

Muz:

Enlighten me. What is a Zimmer Frame? A walker, or what?

It's an walking frame, usually made from aluminium, four legs and you lean on it between steps to support yourself.

Muz:

Enlighten me.  What is a Zimmer Frame?  A walker, or what?

It's an walking frame, usually made from aluminium, four legs and you lean on it between steps to support yourself.

Yep, that's the one. Sometimes the front legs have wheels at the bottom (as mine has)

I have used my crutches since the amputation. The bathroom is next to my bedroom and is about two steps. The crutches are kept right by the headboard. Since I lost my balance once and fell, I make sure to put my sneeker on to avoid my sock from slipping as I get into the bathroom. Really stung the old lower spine badly. We live and learn how to make sure we're safe. Oh, I'm a RBK.

phillycarole

This is a great question. It's really interesting to learn how everyone tackles this common issue differently. I used to have a wheelchair parked beside my bed for the middle of the night excursions to the bathroom. After I got rid of the wheelchair, I had my crutches by my bed for that purpose. But, I found that it can be a little tricky and even dangerous to try to get around in the dark on crutches (and I hate turning on the light when I'm planning on going right back to sleep). I am very fortunate that I still have 2 good knees and I appreciate that fact every single day. Now, I just walk on my knees to get there and back. The floor can be a little rough on them but I'm not going that far. When I get to the door of the bathroom, I pull myself up and hop the rest of the way so that I don't have to "knee walk" on the cold, hard bathroom floor.

Linda

RBK in Georgia

It's been very interesting reading how you guys handle the call of nature during the night. Some very inventive stuff - I don't think I could physically manage some of it. For what it's worth, here's what I do.

When I was discharged from hospital, my occupational therapist supplied me with a toilet seat raiser, (which I didn't use anyway). However, a friend of mine who is a nurse and is familiar with the problems that amputees face, showed me how to turn the toilet seat raiser into a makeshift 'commode'. (I eventually intend to buy an old commode like my grandma had - one that looks like an ordinary wicker chair).

Anyway, my nurse friend put the toiler raiser next to my night stand (which is next to the bed), lifted up the seat and put an ordinary plastic bucket into the frame (so the edges of the bucket rest on the frame underneath the seat). You put down the seat, and one can pee to their heart's content! It's about 2 steps from my bed and I can hold onto the bedside table for support. If I've used it during the night, I just take the bucket out and empty it into the toilet (just like grandma did). During the day, I use my artistic flair (he he), and cover the toiler seat raiser with a piece of material that blends in with the decor of the bedroom.

Works well for me!

Carole