Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

The Adventures of ED

Post OP - two years / one week

- walked up a sloped driveway / snow covered / one cane only.

- stood in the kitchen unsupported / held coffee pot in one hand, cup in the other / actually poured a cup of coffee.

- sat down and got up in kitchen chair using one cane and hand on seat of chair for leverage

All:

I am not looking to boast. I just think that any bilateral ak using this site needs to know that some of these things are possible for this level of amputation. If this offends anybody in any way - please let me know and I will stop.

ED

:rolleyes:

Hi Eddie

Well done no you are not boasting you are doing very well keep going on like that and you will be a Legend in your own Lunch time.Well done again Eddie.

Best wishes Pat.

Keep up the good work Ed. Hopefully I'll be there in a few mos. too. Now my rehab. in Denver has been delayed till the 21st. Waiting on a custom liner. Keep posting on all your accomplishments!! Its not bragging when its an achievement to better yourself or help others. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going!! :D

Keep it up Eddie: Your inspiration and strength help me everytime I read your posts. Luv Lynne

Well done Ed, I don't thing able bodied people realise quite what an achievement it is for you to do something that they do as a matter of course. Keep up the good work, you are an inspiration to others.

Way to go Eddie! Everything little thing we do is an accomplishment; although walking up a snow covered slope is far from "little".

A few weeks ago, I picked up a laundry basket full of clothes off the floor and walked into another room with it. I was so proud I told everybody I knew. They were like, yeah uh-uh. But to me it was MAJOR.

Keep it up, guy.

To mmarie:

I agree.

Perhaps there is some twisted benefit to becoming an amp.

Now one experiences that elation, that euphoria, that "beat the devil" feeling doing some basic action like:

"not taking out the wall for once just because one wanted to get a cup of coffee without some strange personal care aide or your mother in law invading one's space".

ED

To mmarie:

I agree.

Perhaps there is some twisted benefit to becoming an amp.

Now one experiences that elation, that euphoria, that "beat the devil" feeling doing some basic action like:

not taking out the wall for once just because one wanted to get a cup of coffee without some ]strange personal care aide or your mother in law invading one's space".

ED

Star Date 19_1_2005:

Snow Snow Snow. Man do we have a lot of it here:

- Ploughed through 12" fresh snow up and down the laneway

- now am able to walk up laneway with one cane (down is still a no no)

- use no canes in the house for most issues (of course I'll always have issues when I need to get "up")

- now able to complete the process of getting a cup of coffee and condiments as well as return items in no cane state

ED

Hi ED, we just got about 8" yesterday and they say, there could be more on the way for Sat night into Sun, perhaps in some places up to a foot or more!! :rolleyes: You're doing great, plowing through that much snow with one cane!! I'd rather not go out in that much, being so short I may get stuck, then what??? :o :P :lol: Sounds like you are getting some of your independence back and to me, that's the best feeling there is, besides winning the lottery, nope dunno, just guessing!! :lol: Also, I say boast all you want, you've certainly earned it. To help let others know, that things can be achieved, if ya keep looking forward and try to stay possitive, that's a good thing!! :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Star Date 22_1_2005

This weekend, we had the fun of babysitting our first grandchild.

We took her to the mall where I was pleased to be able to use my legs and push her around in a shopping cart / did two laps of the mall as such.

It was an experience I thought I would, at one time, been cheated out of, being the way I am.

ED

Thats great Ed.

remember taking my now 24 yr. old shopping in the trolley and her chucking the eggs out (lol)!

Ann

Ed,

You're doing great! Continue to give us regular updates on your progress. I enjoy reading how well you're doing and I'm sure your experiences will inspire someone else in the future. Keep up the good works and congrats on walking the grandbaby around the mall I'm sure that was no easy feet.. NO PUN INTENDED..

I agree. You're doing very well Ed, as you doubtlessly must know yourself.

I like when you post and tell us of your progress. It makes us feel less alone in this world.

I also admire your tenacity.

When I lost my legs, I remember thinking (and being told by my physio) that "at least I have my knees" (and I thank God that I have). I always thought that being a bilateral AK would be so much worse than my predicament.

But, you are proving that with a strong character, an iron will, and gritty determination, much can be accomplished.

Good on ya Ed!

Star date 27_1_2005

Welcome to my 300th posting since joining this forum last November.

Today I went to work. No big deal. I take what is called "Handi Transit". They pick you up at the door / drop you off. Same thing on the return. This is schedulled.

Pickup time from work today was 12:00 noon. I go utside early / have a smoke / get cold / wait until 12:03 before going in to the canteen where I can watch for the ride through the window.

A few minutes pass / I get up / head back outside / see the driver out on the other parking lot. Wave my canes at him / he leaves / calls in and reports me as a "no show".

Now I'm buggered - no way home.

Find out from someone the buses needed to get back home - It is at the far end of the city.

So off I go / through the snow and ruts in the parking lot / get ready to cross the road 'cause the bus stop is on the other side / wait until traffic is clear and "run like hell to the median / wait til the traffic ic clear again and "run" like hell to get across.

The snow bank is so high I am forced to walk down the road to the bus stop / get there / now there's a wad of snow for me to get up and over / do this / wait / can't sit down 'cause the bench is burried.

Finally the bus comes / its an old bugger / opens the door / three! horkin steps to get up!!

Sit down / realize my feet no longer touch the floor / whenever someone gets on - I trip them / end up having to swing both legs back with my hands to keep the feet out of the way / start to get wierd looks.

Get to my first stop / get out / have to cross the biggest street in town / wait for the light / run like hell to the center median / wait for the next light / run like hell to the other side / of course the light turns against me and I am not fast.

Find the right bus stop / wait / wait / wait / no where to sit.

Finally bus comes / I get on / ask the driver if this bus stops at the mall / his answer "he goes by the mall. I should take the number 55. It is a couple of minutes behind him".

Lies!!!

Bus finally comes / I get on / sit down / by now I've learned that the rest of the planet does not look where its going / move my feet so I don't kill anybody.

Get to the mall / get out of the bus / find a bench realy too low for me but I decide to use it anyway / bus comes / I get up and get on the bus.

Finally I am at the stop at the end of my street / I get out (I'm getting reallly good at this by this time) / start heading for home.

Have to walk through the snow and ruts again / make it to the end of my laneway and there's a big pile along the curb edge as big as mount everest.

Fumble my way up and over the pile (not an easy thing for a person with no knees.

Go up the slope of my laneway / open the garge door / enter / hit the concrete with my iced canes / slip - slide - stumble - regain my composure.

Make it to the door / open the door / dogs are barking / phone is ringing / my glasses fog up / can't see a thing!!

Lower the glasses on my nose so that I can see over them / get the dogs out / head off to get the legs off as by this time I am well past my tolerance level!

Finaly relief / start up the computer cause I want to enter this. CAN'T FIND MY DAM GLASSES!!

Still looking but very pleased that I was able to get through a crisis event ON MY OWN!

Thanks for reading my rave.

ED

Wow Ed!!! What a day you've had! :lol:

First of all, congratulations on your 300th post. I'm sure there'll be 300 more soon enough! :D

Did the driver that left you behind actually see you before he drove off??

If he did, I'd be so angry. :rolleyes: I'd even be reluctant to go back there because of it. But that's just me. I am very stubborn! :lol:

Bet you learnt alot today though. Plus you got plenty of exercise!! :P

To Muz:

I made it back better than safe / better than some of the old folks who I will join too soon / I made it back very very very pleased with myself.

ED

Hi All:

Today is Monday 1 Feb 2005. This coming Wednesday, I will celebrate my "success" with my friend Raquelle.

Every time I reached a given level, I would celebrate with her by doing a "victory" lap in the rehab gym. We did this when I was up in a walker and when I was finnaly on canes. She is a very very special person.

I have arranged for someone to image the event and will post an image here when I have it. We are a sight that I believe is very very rare and I hope to share it with all.

ED

Wow Ed, I am sore just reading about your ordeal...dear oh dear, what a horrible day you had. I am so proud of knowing that people like you are part of this family.

I am right aka and I think it is so hard sometimes, most of all when for some freak reason I get a painful sansation of having my invisible knee scraped, just like when we were kids and fell, you know. It burns like crasy and when I remove my artificial limb I have a rash on the end of my stump but in the back...weird. And boy do I feel sorry for myself if I want to do something and that pain doesn't let me wear my leg.

Now I think I will count my blessings because at least I still have another leg and best of all I don't have to go out if I don't feel like.

God be with you and keep posting because you are like a sunshine for my winter days.

Dea