Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

The Adventures of ED

Again, what can I say Ed. Let me tell you something though, I will first in line to buy the book when it's published.

You could quite easily become an amputee hero - if you aren't one already!

Ally

:)

To Ted:

I would be curious as to the mods you are doing to your old set of stubs. Perhaps you can post a pic of what a “swim ankle” would look like for everyone. Dam………….just patent the thing and sell it to all the prot guys!

I am having rotators put on my wee legs so that I can get the dam slippers on without pulling a muscle I still have!

I must also mention that in my “wee” legs, I stand about 5’6”. The feet are Ceterus flexfeet but I am thinking of taking a saw to my old sach feet and wacking off the toes and a bit. I think I would still be ok. This should allow me a little more step “over” instead of waddling “around”.

“I find that I can push a shovel just fine, but trying to dig a hole with one, is almost impossible!”

Hell…………I am the same!!! Most of my hole diggin’ is on the ground with a small garden shovel. Methinks that unileggers just do not understand that we legless guys have NO leaverage, NO lift, and NO balance when shoveling (unless we want to go the way the dirt flies!!)

========================================

To Lizzie2:

Already diggn’ on the ground!!

The sock idea would be good except I’m built at a certain angle so unless I can master the change???? I will try it though.

TX

ED

Ed--

Last year we didn't have a lot of snow. When we did have snow, I really didn't travel outside much for I was just learning how to balance, etc. Just last Thursday we had our first snow of the year, I'm alittle werry about walking on that stuff. And as far as shoveling that one is solved for me, my daughter came over and shoveled the walk for us. Thank God for my daughters, they help me so much in the last couple years.

You are truly inspiration to all of us. Your entries in The Adventures of ED are truly uplifting to all of us who are still battling some of the same situations that you write about.

Again, what can I say Ed. Let me tell you something though, I will first in line to buy the book when it's published.

Ally, I'm in line right behind you. I'm sure it would be a best seller!

Happy Holidays to all!

Patti

I was trying to get in line behind Ally but I guess I'll be behind you Patti.

:::Walking’ the Dog:::

Well, thanks to “justthumbs” comments about a support dog, we have figured this "might" be a good idea for me. This way when a tree falls on me, supposedly, “Maggie” will be smart enough to run home like Old Yeller, get someone’s attention and lead them back to my carcass.

Maggie is a rescue dog from somewhere in the States. A mix of Border Collie and Lab.............not big...........just ED height.........has gas at night.

She seems to have some intelligence but right now I sometimes wonder...............

We have always had dogs around us so I have a smuck about training. Just to be sure, we are going to get some “professional” advice in the near future.

My main focus right now is just “walking the dog”. A simple feat for a whole bodied person...........a potential disaster IF you are a bilateral aka.

Sooooooooo..............this is what I look like to date. Two wee legs (‘cause I would be scared sh......ss in full legs), a cane in the left hand, a leash with the hound attached on the right........................

The biggest problem is the wrapping of the leash around the wee legs by Maggie, along with her pulling when a squirrel passes by. Usually I topple sideways..........or forwards..............or backwards.

It is also really hard to manage oneself when trying to contain an animal while one is trying to untangle one’s arty legs from the yard line when she comes up to say hi.

I am hoping that, in time, I will actually be able to “walk to dog”................not far................but on my own.

ED

Ed--

I'm so happy that you have Maggie. She will bring you so much joy. She is going be a great companion for you! B)

I know you said

We have always had dogs around us so I have a smuck about training. Just to be sure, we are going to get some “professional” advice in the near future.

If for some reason, you would like to get a 2nd opinion. Please let me know, I can get you the address & phone number of Support Dogs, Inc. They are real good about trouble shooting and giving great advice to help you get Maggie to the service dog stage.

I agree with Marcus when he said:

...they're so damn smart. 

I haven't met a border collie yet that wasn't obsessed with fetching sticks.  If I were in your place I'd consider leaving her off the leash and incorporating a game of fetch into her walks.

You, also, may want to incorporate the retreiving game indoors. She can fetch the remotes, you slippers, the phone, pick up things you drop.

Please keep us up on your adventures of Ed (and Maggie, too). I really enjoyed hearing from you! :)

Take care of yourself!

Patti

Heheheheheheh Ed - isn't that odd - I have started to walk my mom's huge dog and her name is Maggie (short for Magnolia Mae) also.

I know what you're going through. I try to walk the dog during the day when nobody can see me getting jerked around and going down.

:D

But it's fun hey?

Ally

I can sympathise, Ed, as I have a border collie. She's a real sweetie, but (like Marcus says) she loves chasing sticks...and rounding up children! :(

I can only take her for a walk when she's wearing a Halti. They're marvelous things & they work like a dream! :)

Lizzie :)

try to walk the dog during the day when nobody can see me getting jerked around and going down.

:o :o :lol:

I'm not a doggie person but know about border collies as my Ex's mum used to have one. Very protective (except when the burglars got in) and very smart. They do tend to be a one person dog so that could work in your favour Ed.

I also remember from my childhood going out with a friend who had a Lassie style collie. We were about 9 years old and I remember the dog deciding to go for a run down a steep field and dragging my mate for about 400 yards on his belly before he had the good sense to let go of the lead :)

:::A Man Called ‘ermm Tripod:::

Last week we held a bowling event for our support group. Many of the attendees were new amps and still in the hospital so it was good for them to get out of there even for an hour or two.

Some of our group are people who have been an amp for a couple of years or so, are older and function a bit on their arty leg. They still use a wheelchair a lot to get by with.

And then there are a couple of us who are doing a bit better than the rest. I am the only bilateral AKA in the group.

Last year, I had attended this event in wee legs. These I had to lean back on the heels while holding onto a frame walker for support. We had another AK/BK then hold the frame walker from the opposite side so I didn’t go flying. It worked..................I sucked at bowling.

This time, I decided to go in full legs. I had no idea how I was going to attempt this even when I got there.

I ended up placing my simulated feet far apart, again leaning back on the heel so the knees wouldn’t give out and using my one hand cane in my “non familiar hand” for support so that I formed a three legged stance.

When throwing the bowling balls I managed an awful lot of gutter balls. I fell only once and had a hard time getting back up ‘cause the floor is so damned slippery. My final score was a whopping 63 very proud points.

It is not the score that was important to me. My main objectives that night were accomplished. I did it in full legs, I fell as little as possible and I figured things out as they presented themselves.

ED

Great news Ed. I'm going bowling soon and I'm worried about falling or not being able to throw the ball properly. I'm a lbk and feel ashamed of myself after reading your accomplishment.

Wow Ed--

I am so envious! B) I used to bowl when I was younger. I never thought about doing it now. I'm so glad that we have our peers like you to keep us inspired!! B) I always enjoy reading your post, please keep them coming! :)

By the way Ed, how is Maggie doing?;)

Great news Ed. I'm going bowling soon and I'm worried about falling or not being able to throw the ball properly. I'm a lbk and feel ashamed of myself after reading your accomplishment.

Neal--Don't feel ashame of yourself, just apply the can do attitude. Just take it in baby steps, you'll be amazed on what you can accomplish! :)

Have a great day, everyone!!!!

Patti

then went legless to the bar and pool areas.

Ed, you are supposed to be legless coming away from the bar not going to to it!

Its good to hear from you and I'm pleased to hear you a great holiday, especially the parasailing thats just awesome.

Hi Ed,

Thank you for that great trip report! Too bad you're legs weren't working a little bit better for you while there, I've had trips like that also, but it still sounds like you still had a wonderful time.

My eyes lit up when I read about your parasailing venture! I also went parasailing, while in Tahiti, and absolutely LOVED it- beyond words! It was an activity that I wasn't too sure about, but my husband convinced me to give it a try, and I was so glad I did. Isn't it almost surreal being up there? You feel so free, just like you're flying. I was also lucky enough to be allowed to stay up a little longer than usual and really appreciated it, as I could have stayed up there all day long!!

Thanks again, Ed!

Ed, as always you are amazing. I couldn't see myself parasailing before my accident let alone after.

I have to agree with Rob, you ARE supposed to be legless when leaving the bar not when arriving :)

Not so sure that standing with the rest of the sheep once the plane touches down is a good thing I always try to stay seated (always have done). Nobody goes anywhere until those doors are opened so it just seems pointless to stand around getting pushed and shoved by everyone else when you could be comfortably seated.

Can you tell me if Air Canada have a policy of employing "people of our age", as it seemed that way the last time I flew to Australia and back. Most airlines seem to go for the young skinny types but Air Canada's all looked like they were waiting to draw their pension :)

Hi Ed, welcome back, glad to hear you and the Mrs had a chance to get away and enjoy yourselves. You know, considering everything you have to deal with, I think you're Marvelous and of all things parasailing!! B) Oh PLEASE let us see a picture, NO screen saver.... PROMISE!! To see you achieving such a thrilling ride would be priceless!! ;) I see the logic here, if you go to the bar legless, then you won't have to wonder where you've left them at closing time..... as your mind tends to gets a little fuzzy!! :ph34r: :lol: ;)

CONGRATULATIONS to you both for flying through the air like a bird........

TOTALLY AWESOME! B)

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Hi Ed - Thanks for the report on your vacation. It sounds like you had a great time and as usual gave us all some good tips. I went parasailing in Florida the summer before my amp that Dec. It was awesome and I hope to get to do it again.

Hi Ed, as always quite remarkable and inspirational. Sounds wonderful, except for the blisters. Bet the parasailing was just amazing. I too picked up on the legless and the bar thing, but the comment has already been made. I know what you are saying about the screen saver though, and that is a real shame.

Respect

:::Way Up North.......to Alaska:::

Just prior to our journey to Atlanta for the ACA conference, we completed our trip to Alaska via cruise ship.

Our first stop was a place called Siska. There I kind of hung around the dock area while my traveling partner went shopping. We then took a tour via jet boat of the surrounding area so I managed to get on and off the boat ok. Part of this tour was to a salmon fish hatchery…..where I ran into difficulty……………

The jet boat docked at the edge of the fish pens………..so off I go onto the platforms surrounding the pens. These platforms are made of metal, have hand rails (thank God) on either side………….however…………….the platforms are filled with holes for drainage so close together that I could not place my cane safely on the surface. On top of that, the holes were bigger than my cane end. So I gave up on that part of the tour and waddled back to the boat to wait until everyone else was finished.

Off to Skagway next where we took an old fashioned train up to the gold field pass. I tried to ask firm questions to the cruise line people but they were unable to get me an answer before we went. Questions like…………how high is the first step on this train?.........are there hand rails by these steps? …………how many? Etc etc etc.

The next stop was to Juneau where we went whale watching. Onto a big bus………….off the big bus………………..down really steep gangways to the boat and away we went. We were able to see many whales breaching and p[laying around. Of course I also saw the rear end of the great pink one (some big old woman) who was always in my way.

All in all, a good trip and only had one evening of heavy seas which made my walking a total challenge.

ED

Ed, you have beaten me to Alaska, it is one of my must visit places before I die. Sounds like you coped very well considering the lack of answers to your mobility questions. I have also experienced the 'Pink whale' wonder if it's the same one?

Thankyou - thankyou - thankyou so very much Ed for telling your story (you could be a writer - sorry I digress) your life story/journey gives me so much hope - more then I could have asked for.

I can't say any more apart from thankyou.

And bless you for telling it so honestly.

I wish you and your family all the best - I look forward to reading more and thankyou so much again for sharing it.

Raelene xx

Hi Ed... from one Canuck BAK to another... keep on truckin!

Hello Peter:

Sorry..............but I am a bilateral AK...............not the same as you. However, I see from your profile that you were hit by a truck.............me................I was hit by a loser driving a car!!

ED