Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

The Adventures of ED

Ed, the 'run like hell' bit really interests me. :D Oh boy how I would like to do that. :rolleyes: Those damn glasses are never around when you want them, are they???? ;)

To greenthumb:

Sorry but this was not an "ordeal". It was just another day to "suck it up" and get on with it. Aside from the actual bus ride itself, for me, this was a very good day.

To Pamr: "run like hell" is a wishful phrase. The reality - step as fast as the little stupi will let you!!!

ED

Star date 3 _3_2005

::: Check up Time :::

Doctor orders blood work. Have to go to a walk in clinic from a list for this.

Go to the clinic in legs and canes.

The clinic I go to is the ONLY one in the world without a powered door!! No problem

get inside the door / the floor has been ramped up with concrete to make this entrance work! - a little awkward - but I do ok. No problem

Go to reception then told to sit down.

17 billion others in the waiting room / chairs really suck and are crowded together / I sit down / No problem

Other customers come in and try to get by me but the dam legs don't move so they have to crawl over me / No problem

The girl calls out my name / I get up / go to the blood room / have a bit of trouble with the chair there but - No problem

The girl takes 14 quarts out of me and then says "the Dr also wants a urine sample. The room is down the hall". No problem

I get into the room - NOW I HAVE A PROBLEM

Let's see - how does a bilateral ak with two canes / crappy balance manage to keep himself up while doing all of the necessary things to leak into a bottle???

Mission accomplished BUT I won't tell you how................just use your imagination.

Now for that stool sample......................................

ED

Hi All:

I thought I would include this image in this chronicle. This is me at the finish line when completing the Half Manitoba Marathon last June. Total distance 21.5 kms in 2 hours 20. I placed fifth. All others were in hand cycles (which was not for me).

ED

post-17-1107539678.jpg

I love reading/seeing your adventures. Keep 'em coming.

What are hand cycles?

To Marcia:

A hand cycle is basically a three wheeled bike powered by the arms. These usually have sets of gears on them so I view them as a bit of a handicapped item in a wheelchair event.

I have one but to date, have not used it to any degree. I guess that's mainly because I am a site let alone riding a trike down the road.

ED

WOW!!!! ED you certainly have a lot of energy, going for 2hrs and 20mins, now that's what I call determination!!! Thank you for sharing your inspiring stories. :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Keep Smiling :)

Good for you, Ed! ;)

I'm so impressed by your strong spirit.

Star Date 7_2_2005

The Adventure from :::Hell::

On this date, I lost one of my dogs.

Trying to be "normal", we had arranged for me to take the dogs to the groomers. I went in / the owner of the shop came out to get the dogs (2) / pulls them out of the truck / the oldest dog struggles and slips out of her collar / and runs like hell / Across a main street into the school area.

The groomer gives chase / I head out in the truck / meet up / comb the streets calling for "Nasty Girl" / no where in sight!!

Spend all of that day driving around - calling - calling/ well into the night / no calls / nothing

Next day / back out on the streets putting up posters / climbing over snow banks / going door to door / up steps and down / NOTHING!

Next day - get on the radio / TV station (because of my previous exposure on the media) - NOTHING

Today -get more flyers ready / drive to the mall / put some around / come back - there's a message - HOPE!!!

Go to the caller's house in legs / up steps etc - its HER!!!

She's now home.

=====================================================

Sometimes I view myself as unlucky because of things that have happened to me. BUT - after thinking it all over - I AM LUCKY.

Lucky to survive being crushed on the road.

Lucky to still have my family.

Lucky to be given the strength and the leftovers that enable me to walk to whatever degree.

Lucky to walk my daughter down the aisle on her wedding.

Lucky to know my grandchild.

Lucky to be able to "pretend" dance with my wife.

Lucky to get my "Nasty Girl" back.

Lucky - Just Lucky

ED

Yes Ed, you are very lucky, but so are we now for having you here!

You are a great contributor to this forum and we are glad that you joined us.

Glad to hear that you got "Nasty Girl" back by the way.

Dogs, hey?...You gotta love 'em!! :lol:

Quite a story Ed, the power of communication is fantastic and what a happy ending to one of your great adventures.

I know, we should call you "MR LUCKY"!!! B) With such a wonderful attitude and the determination to push forward, how could such a neat guy as yourself not be LUCKY!! :rolleyes:

I'm sooooo happy you got your dog back and I'll bet she was just as happy to see you!!! :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

To Sheila:

Although your comments make me blush, I am afraid you have the wrong perception of me.

I am niether "determined" nor posses a "wonderful" attitude. And, depending on who you were to speak to of me, I doubt you find me labelled "a neat guy".

As I have stated elsewhere, I am only a putz trying to make it through what has been dealt to me whatever way I can.

I have seen other bilateral aks sitting in their chairs, ballooning up to beachball size with their little stumpi sticking out. I have simply chosen not to be this way if I can help it.

I try / I fail / I do / I can't / That's all - that's it.

ED

OOPS, sorry got the wrong thread MR ED!!! ;)

But I'm still glad you got your dog back, k? :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Hello Ed,

I just looked at your journal of daily life as a bi-aka!! And I had a flaskback (I am only an single AKA) but all of us probably remember the day they got their own cup of coffee for the first time. It was a great day for me anyway.

You may think of yourself as a putz but your not.YOu do think of your self as lucky and you are. And so are the rest of us, your sharing and reminding us that it isn't alway the showy accomplishments that are the most meaningfull.

Thank you.

I'll bet that your grandaughter one day will know how hard her grampa had to try to puch her in her stroller and just be around for her. And when life send her a cahllenge she will know that she has the stuff in her to meet it, becaue her grandfatehr did.

You are a man of great courage and intestinal fortitude. I will check up on your accomplishments so keep sharing them, and your setbacks. We all have those too.

Watch out for the ice!!

Best wishes,

Unique

Very well stated Unique :D

Sheila lbk

Maine USA

Ed,

You are a riot and we love you dearly!

Those crappy things that happen to you?....well they are just normal life sweetie!

Keep the posts coming, it makes me feel like I'm not alone out here muddling through life

Jana

To jana and others:

I agree that those crappy things happen to all. I put these here because I feel that any other new amp as I can be aware that even though one is buggered - it is not an excuse to shy away from life.

Now - for this past weekend:

I live on the weekends. I have a home out in the country in an area that people know who and what I am.

I learned several things this weekend, some good , some bad and some really ugly.

For the good: I used my wee legs to fart around with. They definitly will give me some additional freedoms that my full legs simply cannot. I can ride my ATV with these and use them to get around the woods etr. This means tro me that when we are out in the future, I don't have to stay on board while everybody elso is off some where looking at things. I will now be able to join them.

I "danced" a two step and it was acceptable.

I learned that I can handle a snow blower. I went out and tried my neighbours just to get a feel before buying one.

For the bad: Riding either the ATV or snowmobile, I can only handle the positions for so long. After a time, my sockets start to hurt from sitting on them.

The really Ugly:

snow+steps+two artificial legs+copious amounts of dark rum=disaster

ED

LOl...Ed you are an inspiration to us all!

Copius amounts of dark rum? ewwwwwwwwwww! My hubby is cajun. Born and bred South of New Orleans. I had my first taste of 151 proof rum in a Hurricane (the drink not the storm!). I'm not much of drinker to begin with...and the alternate name for a Hurricane is Fruit Punch, which it tastes just like! I had two...not large...over LOTS of ice. That is the sickest I have ever been in my entire life...to say nothing of losing two days of my life to a bed that seemed to spin contstantly! I literally don't remember a thing for two days except the bed spinning. The last conscious memory I have was standing on Bourbon Street in the French Quarter.

To this day...I can't even stand the smell of rum!

Jana

:wub:

Hi Eddie

You are doing very well. Glad to hear thing's are getting better for you it is great.You seem to be doing a lot more nowadays.I like to read about the thing's you are doing.I am getting on a lot better with my new leg A.K.A. But I dont seem to be doing as much as you do maybe one day who knows?

Best wishes Pat.

I used my wee legs to fart around with

Mine only fart around when my stump shrinks and it's time to add a new sock ;)

Ah Rum. A good Navy drink, the stronger the better and drunk neat. Not sure about mixing it with false legs and snow though. I'm bad enough with one leg, beer and a good steep hill.

Now I'm really jealous about the snow mobile. I'd love one but I need one thing to make it work ... snow, a rarity on the South Coast of England. :(

Hi All:

Well here it is - I am told a sight not seen very often.

I have just completed my "victory" rounds with my friend Raquelle.

They say to see both abilateral ak and a bilateral bk walking without aides is a show.

I say - seeing a bilateral bk carrying a child IS the show.

This officially ends my hospital days. The rest is up to me - to whatever degree.

ED

post-17-1108407234.jpg

Great pic Ed! Thanks for sharing it with us. :D

I'm sure you'll do fine.

I always wondered if I would ever manage to carry a child like that, but now I can see that is, at least, possible.

You were right, Raquel is beautiful. Any luck with getting her to join yet?

Would be great to have her join us too. :D

Ed, That picture is really great. You both deserve to be pleased with yourselves.

Keep your achievements coming in and don't ever stop.

All the best.