Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

The Adventures of ED

Star Date 20_2_2005

:::Finally OFF MY ASS:::

Thanks to the input from "biguncleted", I have been playing with my "stubbies".

Well, they are not really stubbies but more of a "wee" leg configuration.

I motor along real well doing a lot of things that I cannot do in my c legs.

Now what I have currently are a set of left over check sockets that had been reinforced with fibreglass 'cause I broke them before.

So......I'm out in the country / time goes by and I get bored / I feel pretty good / so I tell the wife - "I'm going up to Dennis's house to visit / fine

Off I go / waddling down the lane way (I'm so brave, I take One (1) cane) / go up the road / reach Dennis's house (over 1000' away) / get in / have a drink etc / finally leave.

Now I'm really cocky / start fooling around holding the cane "up" so I am actually "walking" / go a short distance...................

Crack!!

Slow down real fast / realise that one socket is giving up the ghost / go a little distance ............ another crack!

Now I am in trouble / start taking 3" realy careful steps cause I know the leg is going to let go / the plastic is cutting my ass with every step!

Get to the end of my laneway / realize that IF I go down that slope, I am going to fold.

Get down on my ass / drag myself backwards for the last 300' / dam near exhausted by the time I get there / everybody is laughing!!!

I take the leg off and it is shattered in several places / take it to the prot guy for repair and he tells me that he didn't think I would ever actually use them and apologises!!

Now in the process of selecting neet-o-keen material for my next set of laminated sockets.

Just another day in my life as an amp / what else can I say.

ED

I'm not suprised everyone was laughing, we can only imagine what you looked like and that has brought a smile to my face. Keep the stories coming in Ed, they are great, you certainly lead a very varied life.

To PamR:

you certainly lead a very varied life.

Sorry my dear, my life is not varied - it is normal!!However.................

I spent the day alone. My wife is away to Mexico so I spent my time visiting a friend who is " as old as I am" and is a para. We compare notes and share certain things etc. I then went to another friends for dinner and drinks (limited now).

This is a normal life. Nothing special - nothing unique - nothing abnormal or strange or weird.

I guess I am getting to a point of my process:

I am NOT limited.

I CAN do everything tt I used to (albeit differently sometimes)

NOTHING is impossible (except running)

I HAVE won the battle!!!!!!!!!

I AM ED (better than Iwas before but not the same)

I AM A BILATERAL AKA WHO HAS MADE IT AND I AM VERY PLEASED WITH MYSLEF AND AGAIN, THANK MY GOD FOR GIVING ME THE STRENGTH AND ABILITY TO BE WHAT I AM.

That's it---that's all.

ED

Ed,

First off I wanted to say nice picture thanks for sharing it. I really enjoy reading of your victories and not so victories it puts the struggles that I have into perspective and I think here is this guy with a way bigger challenge in life making it in life no matter what the obsticle. You should be very proud of all you've accomplished and I know with your determination you're going to keep on accomplishing things. Keep it up even when it's difficult and keep posting because you inspire and touch so many lives. THANK YOU for sharing your adventures!

Hi All:

A few Notes for this "thread" of ED

You know, I reread this thread quite a lot. Often I am very very touched by your responses.

You may notice that I often include distances. There are three reasons for this:

1. to another person such as I, it shows that "some" distance can be attained

2. the Head DR at the amp hospital once told my wife that no matter how good I was or how strong I was, the most I would ever do would be 100' before needing to rest.

3. my own Physio at the time saw me a as final product being - "two prots, one locked, one unlocked, two arm canes and I could go maybe 100'."

BULL!!!!!!!

ED

Tomorrow is Saturday 12 March 2005.

I am heading off on my first travell experience ALONE to visit the eastern part of this country. I hope to keep a bit of a log and I hope to make it ok.

Will report back if anything "unusual" occurs.

Til then / take care.

P.S. - I will stay away from any dark rum - for sure!!!

ED

Hi ED,

Going out on your own...now, I know this is a big accomplishment because it's the same with me. No-one likes the idea of me going out alone because they're scared something might happen to me, like falling over (dread to think how I'd get up on my own actually) or foot/feet breaking or something else along those lines.

BUT, I have proved them all wrong and managed it several times. It's a very liberating feeling.

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy yourself. Go ahead, enjoy the dark rum!! :P

Do take care though, and we look forward to your return.

You'll be missed. :rolleyes: :D

(Who knows, you might give people a chance to catch up in the 'number of posts' stakes! :lol: :P )

Not a chance Afet - there is an internet connection where I am going. I am amazed at the number of posts I have so far entered in my short stay here.

ED

I hope to keep a bit of a log

I'm hoping this is a journal and not another of Ed's patented leg adaptions :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hmm and staying off the dark rum does this mean you're converting to Bacardi?

Have a good time, Ed. Look forward to hearing of your adventures.

Good for you Eddie.

Have a great time. Can't wait to read your log.

And enjoy the dark rum ;)

Lynne

And thanks for your pm.

Hi Ed, that is so brave good on you, have a wonderful time take care I'll miss your posts while your away.

Most of all have fun-cheers :D :D :D

Hi Ed,

Have a great tripI will look forward to reading about your adventures, no doubt they will have us rolling in the aisles.

By the way Muz, don't start doling out our bacardi, just becaused you want all the dark rum for yourself :P You sailors are all the same :blink:

Hiyya Eddie , sorry for droopinnng iin ehhere soo llatnessingly so , a lateness gurl says to hhaveing a hhappynees trip and telling us all abbaout it .

Have a good time Ed,

I'll miss your journal. Come back soon!

Keep proving them wrong again and again!

Unique

Star Date 22_03-05

Hi All:

Well I am back from my first trip travelling alone. To disappiont some, I did not have any real problems. In fact, I did very well. This trip, I took a wheelchair more out of apprehension (what if I break a leg etc) than necessity. After the fact, I would not take a chair again. IF Iwas to run into trouble, there were many chairs available at the airports.

I did learn a few things that I should share with all:

1. Sit in an aisle seat. I do not know if I would have been able to get up from a window seat.

2. I did not come across a seat on any aircraft that I did not fir into because of the knees. Now I know that on some of these charter things one takes on tour, they crame more seats on the aircraft and these I would not be able to sit in due to the knees.

3. As a bilateral, I was able to climb up the steps on one smaller plane. At the top step, I ran out of rail so I just asked the attendent to "give me a hand" to grip onto. I spent the rest of the flight trying to figure out how I would get back down the same steps. Otherwise, there was talk of calling for the "Pope Mobile" to get me off. Thankfully, the a/c pulled up to a regular gangway and off I went.

4. Women pee a lot on an airplane. Must have something to do with the altitude!

5. Pray to God that the person sitting next to you does not have a bladder good for only fifty air miles at a time!!!

I asked some guy at the airport how they handle paras etc and got the scoop on that for some of my friends.

All in all, there is no reason for any amp to be concerned about flying. That's it That's all

ED

Oh yeah - SECURITY!!

No problems. Buddy feels one leg and says "Oh". Then buddy feels the other leg and says "OH". Then some girl asked me if I finded if she "sniffed" me (looking for bomb stuff).

So I said "Lady, you can sniff me all you want!!!!"

ED

4. Women pee a lot on an airplane. Must have something to do with the altitude!

5. Pray to God that the person sitting next to you does not have a bladder good for only fifty air miles at a time!!!

:D :D

Eddie, its great to hear from you and I am glad that you appear to have had a good time.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the sniffing!!! Was this a dog handler with a dog?

Was this a dog handler with a dog?

With some of the security women it's hard to tell which is which ;) ;)

To Nestudas:

The sniffing thing is just a wand that they wipe on you to see if there is any cordite residue on you. (at least I thiink that why she was sniffing me - thought maybe my liners were stinking!!)

ED

:D

you have obviously caught up on the stump socks thread then!!

Thanks for clarifying the sniffing, I thought the wand was for metallic objects so I've learnt something today.

To Rob A.:

I've been sniffed previously. We were travelling to Cuba last year. Going through Canadian security was ok but then i was in the States. In Minniapolis, I was sniffed and stopped. Seems that I set off some sensor reading or something. Turned out that the camera bag I was carrying was one that I had used several years prior while in the military so there was traces of cordite STILL on it.

On the trip back, we checked the bag in with our luggage so we would have no trouble.

STOPPED again - even the camera I had had this crap left on it. Had a lot of explaining to do as this was just after idiot with the bomb shoes tried to light himself up.

ED