Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

The Adventures of ED

Hey Ed, Welcome Home-it's good to have you back, sounds like you had a good trip. Glad to hear that there were no hiccups.

Glad to hear that there were no hiccups.

Depends how many times the drinks cart went past onboard :lol:

Depends how many times the drinks cart went past onboard

Maybe it didn't get past at all, Ed probably hijacked it and scuppered all the rum :D :lol: :D

Roll on June, can't wait for my holiday. Should be an interesting experience at Manchester Airport.

Muz, all inclusive on the ship, will have to send word to get extra supplies of rum (white, of course) as my sister also drinks the Bacardi. Could be an interesting week, must remember to pack the crutches, I'll need the extra stabilisation. :D

Star Date 29_03_2005

I'm just back from a most enjoyable weekend out in the country. I ahve been playing more and more with my "wee" legs and am now in the rpocess of getting new shells.

When I get the next set of "wee" legs. I will be using my old flex feet with a bit of vertical pylon shock and lateral tourgue absorbers. This I believe, will be a bit better.

In my "wee" legs, I get around really well in rough ground. In fact, I am finding them more usable that my big legs. This just drives my prot guy insane. Here I am almost running in basic pylon / foot / really cheap knee joint, while I own the best on the planet (for me) C leg units.

I'm just metioning this 'cause it is possible to get up and going in just the basic configuration and that one does not need the expensive stuff to get by.

ED

I forgot to mention the following. I really enjoyed oing it:

We have a couple of wood sheds that I had built before being re arranged. I used some poly sheeting to cover the one side to keep rain and stuff out.

In time, one of the sheets of poly had torn off with the wind.

So off I go, stapler in hand in my "wee" legs / have to reach way up to get to the area needing repair.

Find out I'm too short!!!!

In order to accomplish this repair, I get an old stump (tree!!!) on its side / wangle myself up on it and complete the job.

I guess it would have made an interesting picture - a legless man with arty legs -standing on a stump!

I know its a small thing BUT to me this was a great thing to be able to do.

ED

Star Date 12 04 2005

Last weekend I started to build some log fences (barriers) in certain areas of my country property.

These have become necessary since a neighbor of mine can't tell where NOT to drive his ATV.

Now for a whole person, this task is simple. However, for a person built like I am, this was really hard.

My first day I spent digging holes while on my butt. I use a small handled spade to do this.

The next day, I got a little adventurous and tried using my wee legs. Of course, I would have to get down on the ground to dig and then figuer ways to get back up once finished. I ended up using my wheelchair as a device to get up with as well as a tool carrier.

Had to figure out ways to hammer, saw,etc. That was ok.

When I decided to give to hardest part a try, I ran into trouble.

Needed cross-pieces for this fence / so off I go into the woods / use one arm cane and carry tools in the other hand. Arty feet do not function well in moss and brush.

Get myself to the tree in question. It is one that has fallen over after dying. / bend down to hold myself steady while cutting the trunk with the bow saw. / Tree lets go / down I go / get up / now its time to de limb the trunk.

Steady myself on two arty feet and use lopers to cut the branches off / takes me a while and everytime a branch cuts, I lose my balance.

Finally finnish the job / now I have to get the log out of the bush.

Really struggle and finally make it to the road.

I wish someone had taken a pic. it would have made a good one................................. man on two arty legs, one arm cane while holding a bowsaw in the same hand......dragging a log with the other hand down the road.

hard hard hard work....but at least I did it!!

ED

Well done Ed, you are an inspiration to us all.

I just found it hard getting through my first full days work for 18 months.

I am a bit tired tonight, can't imagine how you feel :huh:

How long are your "wee" legs. I have this image....

Aha!.......the wee legs have made a comeback. :lol:

That's not bAd. I had this image of - remember Tim Conway on the Carol Burnett show? He had these feet apparently attached to his knees, I don't know where the rest of his leg were. But it was really cute and funny and that's the image I hd! :D :D

Sorry, I'm kind of goofy <_<

Hi Ed,

Just reading through all the posts about all your adventures its great reading and I love the photos.

How about some photos of all that beautiful snow some of us from the other end of the earth don't get snow or temps below 19 B)

Debbie

Hi Muz ........... keeping me honest I see.

Snow in Katoomba ........ about once every 20 years.

Mount Kosciusko ........... yes there is a snow field there but its about an eight hour drive from where we live.We will be going sking in July.

Its not like we have snow in our own back yard :P my kids never wear jumpers even in winter.

Debbie

my kids never wear jumpers even in winter

That's kids for you Debbie. When I was a kid I never used to wear jumpers ... unless my mum caught me :)

That picture I saw in a guest house in Katoomba did look a bit old.

Debbie,

My mum lives at Mt Victoria, just up the road from Katoomba, and it snowed three times there last winter. The first time, I was visiting with my sons (aged 4 and 7 at the time). I woke up at midnight and saw it had snowed, and dragged them (protesting) out of bed to show them. They were very unimpressed. Next morning, there was enough left to throw snowballs around, but it was all gone by lunchtime.

I don't know how Ed copes, that 's enough snow for me! :lol:

-K

:::Full Meal Deal Weekend:::

Hi All:

Just got back from another weekend of “living”. As I have said before, I live on the weekends. Back in the city, I put in a lot of TV time.

I find that I am only taking out my “wee” legs to the country. The C leg units sit at home and run down the batteries propped up in the corner. I choose the “wee” legs as I, so far, can do more in them work wise. Sure I waddle like a duck / look like Pinnochio in my coveralls and am often mistaken for a short Frenchman, but they “work” for me.

The weather was really great / a bit cool / but the bugs are not out yet so there are things that MUST be done before they try eating through my laminates.

At the beginning of the day, I decide what has to be done and sort those out as to what “mode” I will be in – either “wee” legs or butt mode.

So I started off in “Butt” mode:

-finished the log rails around my beds

-cleaned up the garage

-dug holes to plant trees

- de-weeded around the raspberry bushes

-emptied the shed of all machinery and junk

-put in a new floor in then shed to strengthen it

-cut down and de-limbed two trees

-piled more boulders around the fish pond

Switch to “Wee Leg” mode

Once I put these on, I really try to not have to take them off again until my time is up. I am trying to do as much as I can without any canes but sometimes, I am forced to use one arm cane for leverage etc.

-to start things off, it’s “dump day”. I now use my ATV with a garden cart quite a bit. So I load up the cart with stuff heading for the dump. It’s a few miles there / so off I go / get there / unload my recycleables and drag bags out to throw in the burning area. I get an awful lot of looks – two arty legs / short coveralls / one arm cane / SPACE HELMUT on / sun glasses – but I do it and get back home.

-I had made an arrangement with a local fellow to get some top soil. Again, off I go with ATV and cart / get to the soil site / get down on the ground so I can sit beside the cart / use my little spade shovel to shovel the soil in the cart. It takes me “forever” to fill the cart this way. I do this for four runs. When finished, I am beat.

-spread the top soil out by spading the dirt from the cart while hanging on for dear life, until done.

-now for the real adventure. I am “so pleased” with myself, I try to use a fan rake. It took a bit to figure out a modified way to do this without toppling over every time I swing the rake. I end up using kind of a side waddle in sync with the rake swing. So far, I can only do this in one direction so when I finish one area, I have to go back to the beginning to do the next row. Most difficult, but I expect, like all things, for it to get easier as I go along.

-later on, I am waddling around and I have my first fall in this mode. Down I go / there is nothing around to hold onto while getting up / some how, I get into my V position / throw myself –and I AM UP!!!! This is major for me. I spend the rest of the day practicing this technique and am now confident that no matter where I am, if I fall, I can get up on my own while in these legs!!!! Next time out, I will try this in full legs.

-managed all steps up and down in this configuration and even got so brave as to try a “two step” and polka with the wife. I still suck but I know there is hope.

All in all, it was a good weekend. I learned much. The one thing that I did notice, is that I “prefer” to be up. In time, perhaps I will not need the “butt” mode as much as I do now.

ED

That's great ED. :D

You know, I was reading something today (not on this forum), and a guy who'd just lost one of his legs - BK - said that he thinks he'll never walk again. I felt like introducing him to my friend Eddie! You'd soon tell him how it is!

You already know how amazing you are, so I'm not going to say anything that will cause your head to get any bigger!!! :P

I will say Well Done though. :D ;)

Ed, how come you seem to be having so much fun. I've just spent 12 days (yes really that long) moving house and you're off gallivanting around the countryside and danceing polkas with your wife. :)

Hey Ed..............

I thought I would respond to your post through the board this time instead of e-mail.

It's great to hear that you are doing so well with your wee-legs. This does tend to make some prosthetists upset because they think this is a step in the wrong direction. But untill they can "walk a mile in our shoes", they will not understand that we can not do the things that we want using only the C-Legs.

Read your post on digging holes, as you know, that is always a problem for us Bilateral AK's.

I have found that using a post hole digger is the best way for me to dig holes. You know, the old time digger with the two handles you hold together and thrust into the ground, pull the handles apart to grasp the soil when you pull the digger out of the soil.

Perfect for digging those holes for the wife's plants.

I use an electric golf cart that has a small dump bed in the back where the golf bags used to set. This is great for hauling trash, brush, soil & rocks. But is ideal for hauling around the chain saw, tools and extension cords while working around the property.

Luckily I live on the edge of town, just at the start of the "country'', so I spend more time "living" as you call it.

Just finished clearing the brush off the fence lines and burning it, have to be careful when lighting the brush piles on fire, can't run away from explosions as fast in the stubbies as I could before the amputations.

I am also beat at the end of each day, but does our spirit good to accomplish tasks that others said that we would never be able to do!

We are in Houston this week, getting Flex Feet put on C-Legs and converting the liners in bout the C-Legs and Stubbies from a "wet fit" to a more comfortable "gel inner liner" fit socket.

Keep up the posts, I rarely post, but always read.

Later

Ted

To Afet:

I really hate to say this but..............fully erect, I am 5'9".

Note to all: I am not responsible for any of your responses to this statement!!

To mmarie: You are referring to Tim Conway's "World according to Gorf". When i get my rotators, I will be able to spin as well as he did!!

ED