Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
eddie103

The Adventures of ED

:::The Beat Can Go On!!:::

I thought I would share a bit of this moment with you.

For some, it would not be unusual, but for me it is a memory I will ponder upon later in life.

Years ago, I played band from the age of 15 ‘til I was 24 or 25. I was a bass player and was considered by many to be quite good at it. Of course life took that away as other things like marriage, house, kids and now grand kids, occupied my time and resources.

This past weekend was a celebration of a rural country Church’s “birthday”. After the service, there was a served meal and later on, an old time music dance complete with band.

Well, I had been in legs for a long time when evening rolled around. I can only tolerate legs for a given time period before I need to take them off. If I don’t, I stand the chance of blistering and lots of pain in the groin.

Come the evening, the dance started and, as usual, I did my customary “crash and burn” when slipping on the dance wax.

Of course, all around tried to lend a helping hand in getting me back up but I didn’t want to be responsible for someone else’s heart attack when they tried to lift 200 lbs of dead weight. I ended up crawling over to the stage and used a speaker box for leverage…………..and away we went!!!!

By this time, I was hurting from being in the legs so much that day.

But then………………I had the opportunity to play with the band using their old bass.

My first challenge was figuring out a way to get “up” on the stage. So I had one of the guys extend his hand, while I planted a foot on the edge of the stage and had him haul me up while I rode the leg.

Although, I can not stand while holding an instrument, the guys found an old chair to put the old man in. The music is simple and basic but I do enjoy it so. There is nothing like a couple of drinks, thumpin’ on a bass and making old time dance music!!

I’d give my left leg to find a bunch of people to play the old time music on an ongoing basis.

Perhaps, someday I will…………………..

ED

post-17-1130158701.jpg

Whooooooooooooooooohooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Stunning Ed. Tell you what......when you start a band (why not??), I'll come and do vocals and keys for you.

In fact - the name of my duo after my accident was "semi d-tached". No reason why we can't resurrect it.......... :P

But seriously - I know what you mean. It's a good feeling.

Ally

Ed,

I'm so happy that you managed to fulfill your dreams of playing the bass again - on stage! B)

I'm sure you sounded as good as you always you did. :blink:

:::Chippin’ Away:::

Just got back from the country after a most frustrating weekend.

Fall is well set here and I am expecting the winter to commence at any moment. I guess I’ll soon have to put my “snow tires” on these arty feet of mine.

I have spoken many times of the “need” to have one’s ass “kicked” at times, in order to not “plateau” as they say……………

Well, this weekend I was “kicked”………….hard.

I have a real tendency not to use my legs, to come up with any excuse as to why I “need” to have them off in order to do many things:

-I can’t

-I don’t bend down

-I don’t get up

-It’s hard for me

-It’s too hard for me

-And on and on and on………….

When I start to make these excuses, I am self – limiting.

My wife “prefers” me in legs as compared to my imitation of the Hunch back of Notre Dame. For this, I cannot blame her.

Sooooooooooooo……………late Saturday evening, we have a huge pile of woodchips delivered at our cottage. We spend a bit of time spreading them around where we want them. I, on my ass, filling the buckets while she takes them to the flower bed area.

The next day, she says “I think you should be able to use your legs and the wheel barrow to finish spreading those chips”……….

-I can’t

-I don’t bend down

-I don’t get up

-It’s hard for me

-It’s too hard for me

-And on and on and on………….

I get a little pissed (I do better when I am pissed)

Soooooooooooo………….off I go to get the wheel barrow out of the garage and “waddle” it over to the chip pile. I use a small garden spade as an “ED” shovel.

So many aspects of a person like me doing this function have to be addressed……….

-How to hold oneself up while shoveling

-Keeping whatever balance while doing the shovel bit

-Knowing when to rest while doing it

-Foot position

-Leg position so the knees will hold

-And on and on and on…………

And now for the biggie:

-Going to the handles

-Learning that one has to rock back on the heels when doing this

-Preparing to “lift” to the upright position so that one can actually try to push this dam thing

-And on and on and on…………

I successfully did this for some nine trips. It was very hard, very taxing, very tiring…………but I did it!!

I try to thank my wife after times like this for giving me the “push” I need. I am sure that, at the time, I make her life as hard as mine is………….but I am thankful.

Thank you Dear.

ED

:blink:

Incredible Ed.

God put you on this forum to stop the rest of us dead in our tracks when we think we are limited.

Ally

I think Ed, that you can do whatever you put your mind to and with your wife to help concentrate that mind the skys the limit. Congratulations on the bass playing, another thing I can't do :)

Ed Ed Ed,

Is there anything you can't do? You are truly a Renaissance man. On top of all your accomplishments you even publicly thank & acknowledge your wife. The world is a better place with you in it. :D

Love ya Ed...................

[Thank you Dear]

Hey Ed............................

Doesn't it just really Piss You Off when the wife is Right!

Where would we be without them?

By the way, you looked great on stage!

Ted

You are one hell of a guy, Ed. I agree. I believe there's nothing you can't do. The bass playing story is great. My brother was, still and probably always will be a bass player and has quite a collection. He will love this story.

Congrats Ed!

You're a real inspiration to all of us! I think it's awsome how you showed appreciation for for your wife. Sounds like she's married to a wonderful man!

Patti

:::A Black, Blue and Red Weekend:::

Crap happens in threes I am told.

First

I am loading up the truck with stuff for the weekend. I use a wheelchair to do this as it is faster and I can handle lifting stuff into the truck.

Sooooooooo I am whipping back and forth like a minature bobcat..............I back up.....the chair hits the lift in the garage........away I topple backwards..............no big deal until I impale my arm on this metal thing that I have been meaning to hacksaw off. The pipe hits just between the arm and torso.

It is now black, blue and scraped.

Second

It's the time of year to transplant trees if you want to. We lost many during the big storm aa while a go.

Sooooooooo, off I go in bum mode, via truck, to find some small spruces to move.

I find a couple off to the side of the road. Out of the truck I go, and bum walk over there........use my wee spade to hack these out...throw them in the bucket and drag them and myself, back to the truck.......get them back home and plant them where we hope they will live.

Off again for another trip.

I spy THE TREE I want. It is well into the forest from the road. It is BIG (about five feet high). Out of the truck again......bum walk through the ditch dragging this big bucket. It takes a while to get to the tree. I start wacking this thing out of the ground. It is very hard............I am getting beat.

Finally, the tree is free. I get it into the bucket and have to haul this puppy back. It is heavy. This is real work. I have to manhandle this spruce real hard. I get it back home and in to the ground. I look at my arms.........

All scratched, bruised and bleeding from the tree's needles.

Third (Thank God!)

I'm moving concrete pieces around for a new area I have been working on.

I am in chair.......I am tried..........my arms are tired........I need to do this type of work on the ground. So, I go to get out of the chair..................

My arms give out......no big deal..............this just means another butt splat landing.........except............

I missjudge and my ass gets hung up on the front wheel assembly!!

I rip through heavy duty canvas, my new under wear and through my skin!!!

I am sooooooooooo glad that crap comes in threes............... 'cause I couldn't take any more!!!!

ED

You and I must have been under the same cloud this weekend. It truly does come in threes.

Sunday afternoon:

Backing out of driveway, digging in purse, putting on sunglasses....you know, girls. Hit large pipe sticking out of ground attached to rope holding up pecan tree recently nearly felled by Hurricane Katrina. Crap. Oh, well, no real damage. Just feel stupid. Hope nieghbors aren't watching.

Arrive at brother's house. He has a very long driveway and 4 teenage daughters. Place is teeming with vehicles. I can't park or turn around so I start backing up being careful to avoid badly parked car and back right into fence post. S**t. Damage. Broken tail light, dented bumper. Can't wait to tell husband.

Go in brother's house. Miss stepdown, land on fake toes, tumble forward, catching self on furniture and brother before actually doing harm to self.

All of this happened within 30 minutes beginning to end.

I wish I was still smoking.

Yep...........sh.t happens in threes

Prior to my "accident", I fell off a ladder breaking a bone in my wrist.................then later I got involved in a brush fire ............and then I got hit and lost my legs.

I figure God had three tries to claim me and thankfully missed.

ED

Marcia - I laughed at you, I'm sorry. :P I understand that it probably wasn't funny at the time, but you told the story so beautifully.

Ed - my my. I'm speechless. You have the energy of 10 men. What were you like as a child? :huh:

Ally <---still smiling

:)

It's okay to laugh, Ally. It was funny after it was all over. You have to laugh because you can't believe it all happened like that.

I'd also like to know what you were like as a child, Ed. I bet your mother has some stories to tell. :D

:::25 and Counting:::

We kind of “pre celebrated” our 25th anniversary this past weekend…..Saturday to be specific.

I started the day off early with fulfilling a promise to my wife to use legs as much as possible for the day. I did most things in wee legs and was in them for several hours.

Now, usually, I need to take them off to let my skin get back to normal…………….that was the plan…….that’s not what happened.

Seems we received a phone call requesting our help per sec, soooooooooooooo just at the point I would normally take them off………..we head off to address this problem.

There I stayed in legs for an additional few hours. When we got home, it was time to get ready for the fall supper and dance.

Sooooooooo I dress my big legs in good pants…..don them and head off to the hall. By this time, I am starting to hurt.

Time passes and the dance starts………….I am really hurting now….so several times I head off to the truck to do the things I do to eleviate the pain etc.

So the last time I am out………..I see my wife coming out the hall door. She’s looking for me……….

“Com’on ED……they are playing the anniversary waltz and nobody can find you!”

Soooooooooooo off I go…..climb up the steps………..wedge up through the door…………there’s not a person on the floor!!!....they are ALL looking at us………….. we head on to the dance floor.

The music isn’t a waltz!!!!!!...........it’s a two step……………I’ve never done a two step in arty legs before!!!!.........all eyes are on us ‘cause everyone knows us and what has happened to me……….we’re doing OK!!!............I stumble but I don’t go down……the music ends and the crowd applauds………..It is tradition and we made it!!

I use my wife’s shoulder to steady myself back to the cane.

Another memory to keep for later in life.

Again……Happy Anniversary Dar………….thank you for hanging in there!!

ED

Happy Anniversery Ed and Mrs. Ed

Today, (the 8th), is our 47th. God, I told my wife this morning that my mind still thinks that I'm only 47 myself. Ha! not quite. I tell people that she was my 22nd birthday present. (The next day (9th) was my birthday - er; "is")

P.S. I'm still leaning on her

Best wishes for many more. If we're lucky, it just keeps getting better.

Precious Ed, good Lord, you astound me.

I think that was one of the most beautiful tales you have shared. I'm still smiling. Eish, there are days when we need people to push us along, but jeez, sometimes it's so damn hard to comply.

Much love to Mrs Ed,

Ally

:)

B) Happy 25th Anniversary to both of you, Ed & his Mrs.! May the celebration of your aniversary continue all year long! ;) Ed, you are true inspiration at me. Ray & I have 22 more years to that mile stone. :)

Patti

Happy Anniversary to Ed & Mrs Ed :D - me & my hubby are just three years behind you two! - and also to Jim & Mrs Jim! :)

Lizzie :)

:::Let it Snow – Lessons Learned:::

Winter has now set in this part of the world. With it comes the snow…………..lots of it. A bit more and the old amp will be out on the snowmobile.

With snow, comes a myriad of problems:

•Wheelchairs don’t go through it.

•Full arty legs can be an adventure

•Cane tips get lost at the most inconvenient times

•Outdoors to indoors presents “issues”.

To get around, I use my wee legs………no knee………..just pylons and a foot…….mini stilts. I do quite well in them as I am never in a hurry to go any where anyway. As well, I am getting very, very tired of butt mode.

Lesson I

Learning to shovel in legs is a process.

My first attempt resulted in frustration, worn out muscles, a whole lot of sweat and the odd “crash and burn”. It was most depressing. I always was the shoveler in my past life as a whole human. Now unless I found a way, my wife would be relegated to doing “my” job. I laid awake that night thinking………..and I learned a valuable lesson…………….

I am wasting my time trying to do what I used to do the way I used to do it.

I can not.

I needed to find another way, another process to accomplish these things. I ended up attacking the snow sideways with the shovel and worked out a rhythm to move this stuff around without falling over….. Kind of right waddle – lift, left waddle shove – right waddle recuperate – left waddle shove .It was “easier” but was still hard.

Lesson II

I need to wear socks on my simulated feet.

If I do not, the foot shell just fills up with snow and is a B.....D to get out.

Lesson III

Unless someone gives me another set of legs, I need to change the foot wear when I want to come in the house from outside. Otherwise, I drop the legs off and I am in butt mode again.

So I bought a pair of slippers. They were too hard to get on so I exchanged them for a size larger. Now I look like Pinnochio and they don’t work as well as planned ‘cause the foot is too long to step over. As well, the sole is too sticky on the floor for my hip movements to handle. I am now looking for another kind.

Lesson IV

We heat the country house with wood. I tried using my wee legs, a cane and a kid’s plastic sled to haul this stuff but I lost more than I moved. As well, keeping myself up while dragging this thing was very, very hard in the deeper snow.

So I thought.

I cut an old set of skis down to size and attached them with bolts to a recycle plastic bin. Now I easily use the wee legs as I push the rig around.

Lesson V

All of the above…………….to think “outside the box”.

ED

Atta Boy Ed!

Keep thinking outside that box!

I do not have the "snow problems" that you do there in your part of the world, but I do have the problem with tracking in mud and dirt into the house when I come in from working in the yard.

But now we are working on another set of "stubbies" (wee legs) just for working and wearing in the salt water and mud. Now when I come in, I just pop off the work set of stubbies, and slip into the clean set for walking around in the house.

Thanks to the Seal in Liners by Ossur, there is nothing to it.

First thought up the second set of stubbies for when I go salt water fishing. and when I cut and weld things, I did not want to damage the C-Legs or the new set of stubbies. Am even having the old set rebuilt with swim ankles to be able to wear swim fins when I go snorkeling and rafting again.

There are always things that us "legless ones" have to come up with to get along in our daily existence. I know what you mean by "Learning to shovel in legs is a process." I find that I can push a shovel just fine, but trying to dig a hole with one, is almost impossible!

Ted

Just a couple of suggestions Ed:

What about wearing bin bags (or something similar) on your legs to stop the snow getting in your foot shells?

Shovel sitting down...sitting on a small stool, that you move along with you...you'll be much more stable.

What about Slipper Socks? I know the one's I've linked too are a bit feminine, but you could wear something similar inside your outdoor footwear.

Lizzie :)