Heather Mills - Amputee Forum
Sign in to follow this  
paul@plan-a

Travelling with Ryanair

Hi All

Prost Neujahr

I would like to share with you my experience of Ryanair on 2nd January 2005. My mother is ambulant; she has arthritic hips, asthma and acute angina. For New Year we were travelling to Frankfurt Hann in Germany. :angry:

I down loaded the information for wheelchair users on Ryanairs website.

Can I bring my own wheelchair, and if I need one, is there a charge?

You can use your own wheelchair, or one supplied by the airport wheelchair service provider. Both the wheelchair and assistance are free of charge. Restrictions apply to the transportation of battery-operated wheelchairs, so it is advisable to let us know the type of battery when booking.

Option 1. Passenger who requires the use of an airport wheelchair: and to be pushed through the airport terminal to the steps of the aircraft.

Option 2. Passenger who requires the use of an airport wheelchair: and to be pushed through the airport terminal to the steps of the aircraft and also requires lift on/lift off assistance onto and off the aircraft.

Option 3. Passenger who requires the use of an airport wheelchair only: but does not require to be pushed by airport staff

Option 4. Passenger not travelling in a wheelchair: that does not require to be pushed through the airport to the aircraft steps but does require lift on/lift off assistance onto the aircraft.

Option 5. Passenger travelling in their own wheelchair: that only requires to be pushed through the airport terminal to aircraft steps.

Option 6. Passenger travelling in their own wheelchair: that requires to be pushed through the airport terminal the to aircraft steps and the required lift on/ lift off assistance onto the aircraft.

Option 7. Passenger travelling in their own wheelchair: that does not require to be pushed through the airport terminal to the aircraft steps, but does require lift on/lift off assistance onto and off the aircraft.

Option 8. Passenger travelling in their own wheelchair: that require no assistance at all from airport staff.

Option 9. Blind or visually impaired passenger: that requires a walker to and from the terminal to the aircraft.

Option 10. Blind or visually impaired passenger traveling with a guide dog and requires a walker to and from the terminal to the aircraft.

Option 11. Blind or visually impaired passenger: that requires no assistance at all.

Option 12. Blind or visually impaired passenger traveling with a guide dog and requires no assistance at all.

Option 13. Disabled passenger with an *intellectual disability: who is able to understand and respond appropriately to safety instructions and does not require a Personal Care Attendant, but does require a walker to and from the terminal to the aircraft.

Do I need to bring my own personal care attendant?

A personal care attendant would be required to accompany any passenger with the following conditions:

A person with an intellectual disability, who is unable to understand or respond appropriately to safety instructions from Ryanair personnel.

A person, with mobility impairment so severe the person would be unable to assist in his or her evacuation of the aircraft in the event of an emergency.

A person, with both severe hearing and severe vision impairments, that the passenger would not be able to establish communication with Ryanair personnel so a safety briefing can be given.

Passenger's who advise Ryanair they fit into one of the above categories will be required to provide their own personal care attendant. The attendant must pay the fare applicable at time of making a reservation.

My mother does not fit into these categories as she can walk on and off the aircraft. At Stanstead I checked with Ryanair that we (my family) could push my mother to the aircraft and the wheelchair would be loaded and we could then use the chair in Germany.

Ryanair said there would be no problem; at Stanstead there was no problem. We pushed my mum to the gate, the chair was loaded she managed the steps to the plane. :)

The chair was unloaded in Frankfurt Hann, and we carried on with our journey, no problems.

Returning to Frankfurt Hann on Sunday we queued at the check in, I informed Ryanair that we would push mum to the gate and she would walk from there. I was told that this was not possible as hospitality had not been booked, I said hospitality is not needed my mum can walk from the gate, but not all through the airport!

Ryanair then said that Frankfurt airport would not allow wheelchair uses to be pushed though the airport.

I asked to speak to the airport; the airport informed me that they have a problem with Ryanairs wheelchair user policy, unless hospitality is booked no wheelchair users can be assisted to the gate.

I asked Ryanair what was to be done, they said we could not travel on the booked flight, would have to stay over night until hospitality had been arranged tomorrow!!

I told them I was very angry and that they have already been prosecuted in the UK under DDA 1995, I would also start proceedings against them. :angry:

Frankfurt Hann Airport were getting stick from other passengers and from my self for not sorting out this simple issue.

In the end Ryanair agreed to check in my mothers wheelchair, but she had to walk through the airport at great discomfort which led to her being in tears, she is 76 years old.

Frankfurt Airport say that wheelchair users are not insured to be assisted by family through their airport, when I asked about parents with pushchairs, they said that it is completely different. I fail to see how, Ryanair and Frankfurt Hann airport discriminate against disabled people. :angry:

We returned to Stanstead and her wheelchair was unloaded and we carried on to the bus terminals where there is no seating, we waited 35 minutes for a bus to the long term carpark. The bus's have no reserved disabled seating and it took a further 40 minutes to reach our parking area as there was a shortage of staff to drive the bus's. :angry:

I feel that Ryanair are playing a particularly spiteful game, they obviously haven't cleared their policy with all the airports they fly too and from.

I am disgusted with Ryanair,Stanstead Airport and Frankfurt Hanns Airports lack of humanity, they made a old ladies New year break a logistic disaster. :angry:

Here is a court case Ryanair lost last month!!

Appeal Court rules airport and airline jointly responsible for disabled passengers

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

In a landmark ruling today, the Appeal Court has found that Ryanair and Stansted Airport are both responsible for providing a free wheelchair service to disabled travellers. The ruling will have an impact on every British airport and airline and will ensure disabled people receive the same standard of service as non disabled travellers.

The Court of Appeal found that both airline and airport were responsible for ensuring Bob Ross, a disabled passenger, could move from the check in desk to the aircraft at Stansted Airport. The judges found that both companies had discriminated against Mr Ross for charging him for the use of a wheelchair.

Mr Ross has been supported in his case against Ryanair and Stansted Airport by the Disability Rights Commission (DRC).

Mr Ross, from London, was charged £18 for a wheelchair when he flew with Ryanair from Stansted Airport in 2002 to Perpignan in France. Mr Ross, who has cerebral palsy and arthritis, is unable to stand for any considerable time and needs to use a wheelchair when moving through the crowds and queues at Stansted.

The Appeal Court overturned an earlier ruling which found that Ryanair was unlawful in charging Mr Ross for the use of a wheelchair.

Bob Ross said today: “It’s been clear to me all along that I was treated unfairly by having to pay more to fly than non disabled people.

Chairman of the Disability Rights Commission, Bert Massie said today: “This decision sends a signal to every airport and airline that disabled people will no longer put up with a second class service. And that they have the firm backing of the law to ensure that fair treatment prevails.”

The DRC knows of thirty disabled people who were charged for a wheelchair under similar circumstances to Mr Ross. Stansted Airport and Ryanair now need to ensure these passengers are compensated for having to pay the wheelchair charge.

The legal case was taken under Part 3 of the Disability Discrimination Act 1995. The DRC believed that by making a disabled person pay for a wheelchair, Mr Ross was treated less favourably because of his disability.

Think carefully before you travel with Ryanair!! ;)

LOL Paul

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had at Frankfurt HAHN!! (as Frankfurt airport is a different place altogether) with Ryanair. It's a low cost airline so their politics are also not quite up to par regarding special services, etc. They advertise flying into Frankfurt, yet Frankfurt Hahn, the actual airport, is approx. 130 KM from Frankfurt. Costs here are low, as infrastucture is not yet set up as passenger friendly.

I would always fly with a classical carrier. Although it's a little more expensive to fly the biggies, you know what you've got and can be assured of quality service :) most of the time....

Hi Kaz

the trouble is the big carriers only hit the big airports! My wife is German her family are based all over Germany, using these smaller airports suits us logistically. Why should these cheap and nasty air lines monopolise the market and be aloud to discriminate against the disabled.

I rule for one, one for another is just not fair, the airline industry needs dragging into line in the UK, or disabled people will end up the loser as they do with many other services! :(

As you can tell I have a bee in my bonnet about Ryanair

Paul

Ah, dann kannst Du bestimmt auch Deutsch sprechen , das freut mich ja! :D

I totally agree with you! You should expect a decent service even if Ryanair is a cheap and nasty airline ...haha! I admire people who speak up and do something and eventually make a difference. Not just sit around and complain about it.

Sorry to hear your holiday was spoilt.

Sounds like real crappy service but is it Ryanair or the airport who are at fault here. Chances are Ryanair will claim it's airport policy and as that's in Germany you'll have no case in a UK court.

HI Paul

sorry to read about the problems you had. However not all 'cheapie' Airlines treat disabled passengers badly. I've used Flybe on a few occasions from Exeter airport and both Airline staff and Airport staff have been great going out and coming back.

But I always notify Customers' services straight after I book, then 3 days before I fly.

As regards small (provincial/regional) airports, we had a situation at Newquay airport a couple of years ago. British airways did a regular service to Heathrow, then and if I remember correctly Ryanair started a cheaper flight to Gatwick. Now it turned out that BA was paying a fee of £100.00p per passenger to land at Newquay, but Ryanair only paid £25.00p! So Ba pulled out and stopped running their service. So the County Council took over the airport and are using council tax monies to subsidise the airport. Recently a new airline has started up and the prices are midway between the BA and Ryanair prices, and subsidies are being withdrawn.

So the 'big' airlines have made a complaint to the European Courts regarding the 'unfair' competition! Cheapie airlines are in effect being subsidised by the 'big' airlines etc. (I stand corrected if the details of this are wrong, but this is the basis of legal action being taken by the 'big' airlines) So if the 'big' airlines win, then it is very likely that a lot of regional airports all over Europe will shut down. Alternatively, it could be the end of cheapie flights.

I hope not, but there is always a 'slow' boat to Spain or France from Plymouth so I may drive if it happens.

Best regards

Steve

Many thanks for your messages of support, as an Access Officer for a local authority I fight discrimination every day of the week, so I like to have a bit of time off when I'm on vacation! :o

Doggie; Devon now thats a really nice piece of England!! :D

Kaz; mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut, alas veilen danke vor Unterstützung

Tschuess